GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grand Theft Auto 3: Shocking Stuff"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/10/01 at 02:21
Regular
Ok.
This is the game my PS2 was made for. However, it is massively violent, immoral and just plain wrong.
I am an adult and am clearly not affected by video-game violence, so it's ok for me to like this.

Reasons why GTA3 is good:

Variable weather.
During one mission, it rained, then got foggy, then got sunny again.
The rain effects are incredible and affect the handling of the cars/vans etc

Crashes
I crashed many time and ran away to crash again.
This is a good thing.

Police Cars
They go fast with sirens blazing, the other cars pull over and stop.
So I ran into them and stole more cars

Violence
I beat up several old people and stole their pensions.
Then I beat up some prostitutes and stole their money
Then I beat up more old people, because it was funny and they dont fight back too well
I beat up a police man, stole his shotgun and wandered about shooting old people.
I stole a gang-car and performed a drive-by on several pedestrians, then the police caught me.

-----

Ok, joking apart.
The level of mayhem and wanton violence in this game is shocking, the fact you can shoot old people and rob them, or shoot anyone and rob them?
Or run them down?
or set them on fire?

If I wasn't a responsible adult, and secure that people will play this and realise it's only a game, it'd be worrying.

Incredible graphics, gameplay like you wouldn't believe and it IS the best thing to grace the PS2 so far.
Without exception.
And because it is "only a game", it's amusing to rob, murder and carjack for entertainment.

And the voice acting?
Joe Pantiolano (The Matrix, Bound, The Goonies)
Robert Loggia (Scarface and many, many others)
Kyle Machlachlan (Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet etc)
And others.
This game rules, and I can't deny it made me glad I got a PS2.
Finally, a year after launch (almost), it is starting to show what it is capable of.

Expect The Daily Mail to start it's usual "Ban this sick filth" campaign in a day or two.

And I hope none of you under-18s are playing this, because that would be illegal.
Or something
Fri 26/10/01 at 09:33
"High polygon count"
REVIEWS should go in the REVIEWS section!

Yes, I know you've heard my Sniper impression before, but I'm trying to perfect it - what do you think? ;-)

Anyway, it sounds fantastic - can't wait to get mine at lunchtime. Then I can't wait to get home tonight and play the darn thing.

By the way... regarding the Daily Mail comments... if they were ever to read these forums, they might actually realise that not ALL youngsters are gullible morons who can be led by the nose into a life of crime by video games.

We'd have to gag YH and shove him in a cupboard somewhere until they were gone, though...
Fri 26/10/01 at 09:28
Regular
My God, I SO want this game NOW.

I'm actually tempted to take my PS2 home with me, so I can play it tomorrow, instead of having to wait until Sunday afternoon.....
Fri 26/10/01 at 09:27
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Curses! Mine didn't arrive in the post this morning!

Keep it coming...
Fri 26/10/01 at 09:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
shaneo wrote:
We are not all idiots, so we
> should be able to play our favourite games, even if they are X-Rated.
I bet
> that I get a reply on the contrary.

Not from me you won't. I agree 100% that games don't affect behaviour much, if at all.
I was just...surprised at the level of violence possible in the game.
I'm not condemning it at all, we should be free to not play something if it offends.
But still, I did think "This is a bit much" when my mate drove slowly along the street and unloaded his Uzi into a crowd of pedestrians before tearing off down the street.
Or when we found a shotgun in the police car and proceeded to wander the streets before shooting an old bag-lady and running away.

It IS just a game, and both myself and "kids" like Shaneo are easily able to distinguish between real and fiction.
(Shaneo may be "only 13", but he has a more adult view than most of the staff at The Daily Mail).
A game can be cute and fluffy, or it can be hard and violent.
It's just a game.
I can't say that enough.

But enough of the violence, what about the game?
It rocks, pure and simple.
Graphics that are amazing, rain-effects on the roads, fog that comes down as you play and lifts later on, day into night...real-time weather. I've never seen that done outside of Black and White.
Each car drives and sounds differently, rain affects it.
Sound is tremendous, people screaming at you.
And my personal favourite little touch, stand in front of a car on the road and he'll blast his horn at you.
You look at him and stick two fingers up before walking away.

See that nice Mercedes in the car-park? You can steal it. Oh sure, the alarm will sound but that will stop.
Or the little touches like carjacking and the driver's door swinging open until you lean over and slam it shut, or put your arm over the seat as you reverse.

Yes it's violent, yes it's immoral.
But dammit, it's just a game.
We will no more go out and start mugging people because of this game anymore than we would become a massively overweight plumber intent on rescuing royalty from Nintendo.

But GTA3, but be aware that your mum will frown and shake her head.
Excellent
Fri 26/10/01 at 08:10
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Despite the fat that I'm only 13, I WILL be getting GTA3 for the PC. Personally, I think it's a load of b*llocks of younger people being influenced easier than older people. Games don't influence me. If I beat someone up in a game, I wouldn't intend to do the same in the real world, because I am sensible (if there is such a thing as a sensible 13 year old!) We are not all idiots, so we should be able to play our favourite games, even if they are X-Rated.

I bet that I get a reply on the contrary.
Fri 26/10/01 at 03:11
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
So, you have it eh?

I don't know... I think i'll star a post abuot violence in games because so many people have decent views.... especially Wookiee and yourself.

I don't know if i'd play GTA3... I like the idea of gangster missions, but there's no doubt that at least one of them would include killing a pensioner and as for attacking people in cars... well it happend to my mum once... nothing majorly serious, but a black guy tried to pull her out the car... luckily she wasn't hurt...

Anyway... GTA3 definitely won't be for everyone...

In my opinion this is where Nintendo save the day... they don't necessarily have to match GT3 or GTA3, but if people want a simpler, more colourful experience, Nintendo are there with Donkey Kong Racing, Mario Kart etc.

I'm not knocking you're opinions or what you deem acceptable... but I really do think there is a line... and once GTA3 sells loads many will say it's passed it!

It's one thing to pull a few pixels out of a car in GTA or even GTA2, but it's another when you see a life-life face and shoot the person wearing it without even thinking about it...if you want this game, i'd get it now, because frankly, I don't think it'll be legal for long...

Game
Fri 26/10/01 at 03:04
Regular
Is it really that good then? I was maybe thinking of picking it up today.
Fri 26/10/01 at 02:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok.
This is the game my PS2 was made for. However, it is massively violent, immoral and just plain wrong.
I am an adult and am clearly not affected by video-game violence, so it's ok for me to like this.

Reasons why GTA3 is good:

Variable weather.
During one mission, it rained, then got foggy, then got sunny again.
The rain effects are incredible and affect the handling of the cars/vans etc

Crashes
I crashed many time and ran away to crash again.
This is a good thing.

Police Cars
They go fast with sirens blazing, the other cars pull over and stop.
So I ran into them and stole more cars

Violence
I beat up several old people and stole their pensions.
Then I beat up some prostitutes and stole their money
Then I beat up more old people, because it was funny and they dont fight back too well
I beat up a police man, stole his shotgun and wandered about shooting old people.
I stole a gang-car and performed a drive-by on several pedestrians, then the police caught me.

-----

Ok, joking apart.
The level of mayhem and wanton violence in this game is shocking, the fact you can shoot old people and rob them, or shoot anyone and rob them?
Or run them down?
or set them on fire?

If I wasn't a responsible adult, and secure that people will play this and realise it's only a game, it'd be worrying.

Incredible graphics, gameplay like you wouldn't believe and it IS the best thing to grace the PS2 so far.
Without exception.
And because it is "only a game", it's amusing to rob, murder and carjack for entertainment.

And the voice acting?
Joe Pantiolano (The Matrix, Bound, The Goonies)
Robert Loggia (Scarface and many, many others)
Kyle Machlachlan (Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet etc)
And others.
This game rules, and I can't deny it made me glad I got a PS2.
Finally, a year after launch (almost), it is starting to show what it is capable of.

Expect The Daily Mail to start it's usual "Ban this sick filth" campaign in a day or two.

And I hope none of you under-18s are playing this, because that would be illegal.
Or something

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.