GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Building for a drop?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/06/03 at 23:41
Regular
Questions are continually raised about Nintendo's stance in Europe, they have a massive desire to sell well in Europe but not a single price drop since the launch of the console.

The reason I wonder regarding this is that the Gamecube has multiple price drops in Japan (now £72) and USA. To be fair Nintendo's desperation to hold on during the christmas and new year was surprisingly successful, no AAA game and no price drop and yet they survived a killer season... they ran a small promotion leading to the release of Metroid Prime which continued till the release of Zelda. Whereas third party releases are keeping Gamecube sales strong perhaps, with no major release planned till christmas, it is time for our long overdue Gamecube price drop.

£100 console and a game anyone?

Thoughts?
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:01
Regular
I very much doubt the disc(s), box and manual cost more than about £8 to manufacture.

Giving away three games in a £160 bundle would mean selling them at £25-30.

Hardly much of a loss is it.
Thu 12/06/03 at 22:47
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> I like that three games and console for 160 idea.
>
> GameCube + Mario Sunshine + Zelda + Metroid Prime = £160.
>
> GameCube + Resident Evil + Resident Evil Zero + Eternal Darkness +
> Memory Card = £160.
>
> Oh yes.
>
> Oh yes to a finacially crippled Nintendo! The 3 games themselves
> should cost £120 on there own! People would buy it, but Nintendo
> would make massive losses, and they won't come back from the
> purchasing of other games...all the killer apps would be thorwn in
> with it!

Financially crippled? Oh no. I don't think so. Simple maths. GameCube would cost £100 with a free game, £30 less due to price drop. Then you have either Mario Sunshine + Metroid Prime or Resident Evil + Eternal Darkness + Memory Card making up the £60. Now that isn't a big loss is it?

It'd be a great idea, as they wouldn't lose much - but shocks people into thinking it's a stupidly low price. People like you :D.
Thu 12/06/03 at 13:03
Regular
"Same as above^"
Why do you all care if the price goes down. If you got one already then what does it matter. Game prices are what we want to go down. New games for 15-20 quid would be worth arguing for. But why would i go out and spend 100 to get a second consol just cause it's cheap now?
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:51
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Maverick42 wrote:
> I like that three games and console for 160 idea.
>
> GameCube + Mario Sunshine + Zelda + Metroid Prime = £160.
>
> GameCube + Resident Evil + Resident Evil Zero + Eternal Darkness +
> Memory Card = £160.
>
> Oh yes.
>
> Oh yes to a finacially crippled Nintendo! The 3 games themselves
> should cost £120 on there own! People would buy it, but Nintendo
> would make massive losses, and they won't come back from the
> purchasing of other games...all the killer apps would be thorwn in
> with it!

==============

yeah whatever if it costed nintendo 120 for every three games they would go banraupt. Obviously you havent bothered to think about costs being spread over the amount of units they manufacture. £120 pff
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:12
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
ill be first in the que to sign up for that one..
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:09
"I love yo... lamp."
You have to take risk if your not the top player.

Microsoft are going to start paying people to take an xbox soon I think.

Price cuts would help, especially for parents looking for birthday presents. Use games that have already sold well and made a profit.
Thu 12/06/03 at 12:05
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Hasn't the 'Cube's price already dropped in Japan and America?
And now, I've just read that the same is happening in Australia...

I think we can EXPECT to see an announcement from Nintendo of Europe on the same matter by the end of next-week, looking at the pattern in which things are going! :)
Tue 10/06/03 at 18:34
Regular
I like that three games and console for 160 idea.

GameCube + Mario Sunshine + Zelda + Metroid Prime = £160.

GameCube + Resident Evil + Resident Evil Zero + Eternal Darkness + Memory Card = £160.

Oh yes.
Tue 10/06/03 at 16:58
Regular
They gain the profits on the games.

It is time a price drop was announced... and as whitestripes suggest some stunning bundles at christmas... imagine the Starfox Adventures and Eternal Darkness bundles of last year occuring this year with the games whitestripes listed.
Tue 10/06/03 at 11:58
Regular
"8==="
Oh ok. I read somewhere that they were selling it at a loss and making the money back on the games. Like Microsoft.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.