GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Got My PS2 Today"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/06/03 at 01:58
Regular
Well, it's been at my house for about a month, but I was at uni taking exams, so I left it there.

But now it's set up, and not bad with it.

I've had no desire at all to play any games recently, so my copy of GTA VC remains sealed, but I did watch a dvd on it, and I have to say it wasn't bad at all, nothing like what people make it out to be (pap).

Obviously it wasn't as good as a normal dvd player (or my Q), but it still gave a good picture quality, no complaints here.

The control pad feels kind of awkward. I guess it's to be expected, the old design, and the transition from a cube pad. Buttons don't feel very nice either. Still, not gamed properly yet, so I'll save final judgement.

The console doesn't look too bad either. The blue and green LEDs are very nice. Overall: Slightly odd, and not as nice as my blue gamecube (spray-painted), but better than the cube when it was purple.
The Q is still the prettiest thing in my life :^)

I expect to live in fear of technical failure from the day the warranty expires, but until then I'm fairly happy with the thing...

...but why did they put the power switch at the back?

Okay, so recommend me some PS2 games to lift me from my spell of disinterest and get me gaming. Go!
Tue 10/06/03 at 01:58
Regular
Well, it's been at my house for about a month, but I was at uni taking exams, so I left it there.

But now it's set up, and not bad with it.

I've had no desire at all to play any games recently, so my copy of GTA VC remains sealed, but I did watch a dvd on it, and I have to say it wasn't bad at all, nothing like what people make it out to be (pap).

Obviously it wasn't as good as a normal dvd player (or my Q), but it still gave a good picture quality, no complaints here.

The control pad feels kind of awkward. I guess it's to be expected, the old design, and the transition from a cube pad. Buttons don't feel very nice either. Still, not gamed properly yet, so I'll save final judgement.

The console doesn't look too bad either. The blue and green LEDs are very nice. Overall: Slightly odd, and not as nice as my blue gamecube (spray-painted), but better than the cube when it was purple.
The Q is still the prettiest thing in my life :^)

I expect to live in fear of technical failure from the day the warranty expires, but until then I'm fairly happy with the thing...

...but why did they put the power switch at the back?

Okay, so recommend me some PS2 games to lift me from my spell of disinterest and get me gaming. Go!
Tue 10/06/03 at 04:24
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Dr Duck wrote:
> Okay, so recommend me some PS2 games to lift me from my spell of
> disinterest and get me gaming. Go!

Final Fantasy X (100 hours plus of RPG goodness, Final Fantasy XII is on its way in the next 12-18 months)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (Lifetime of driving, 200 hours to complete it, Gran Turismo 4 is out maybe December this year)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2 showcase, great if you've never played any of this shooter series before, MGS3 is out next year)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 (Best golf game, ever, better than golf itself, or wait for PGA 2004)
Frequency (Push the buttons in time to the music, hardest game ever, yet very rewarding, about to be replaced by the online sequel, Amplitude)
SOCOM: US Navy SEALS (this is the game broadband and network adaptors were made for, if you go online with the PS2 this is a must buy, SOCOM 2 is out in November in the U.S., no European date set yet)

Take your pick from 100s of others like the platformers Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Maximo etc., the racers Burnout 2, Ridge Racer V, Auto Modellista, F1, Colin McRae, the RPGs Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Drakan the Ancients' Gates, Kingdom Hearts, the beat'em ups Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken 4, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, the weird and wonderful like ICO, Silent Hill 3, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, the list is pretty much endless. Pick a genre you like and there's a AAA title out there for it in the PS2's back catalogue.
Tue 10/06/03 at 04:37
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
P.S. As of today there are 502 games released for the PS2 in the UK, you're kinda spoilt for choice :)
Tue 10/06/03 at 05:28
"I love yo... lamp."
FM, are you getting paid to mention SOCOM? Just wondered. Or is it really that good?
Tue 10/06/03 at 09:19
" Crazy!"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> FM, are you getting paid to mention SOCOM? Just wondered. Or is it
> really that good?

It better be that damn good, I aren't going through this trouble for nothing.
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:16
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Couple of things most new PS2 owners remain oblivious to -

The supplied AV cable is s**t. Get a proper integrated scart lead and the picture improves 90000 percent.

Put the PS2 in standby by holding down the reset button. Then you don't really need to use the power switch at the back (and you shouldn't use it to switch off an active PS2 anyway).
Tue 10/06/03 at 10:47
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I got a new PS2 yesterday - a brand spanking Silver one :-)

See...

http://www.bleeders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/silverps2.jpg
Tue 10/06/03 at 14:54
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
As far as games go, you NEED

Gitaroo Man
Ico
Ace Combat 4

then you need to get online and buy SOCOM.
Tue 10/06/03 at 14:57
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> P.S. As of today there are 502 games released for the PS2 in the UK,
> you're kinda spoilt for choice :)

Not when you consider the fact that there are around 4 that are worth owning.
Tue 10/06/03 at 15:12
Regular
"Wobble"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Not when you consider the fact that there are around 4 that are worth
> owning.

But ample when you consider that's 2 more than on Gamecube and 3 more than on Xbox.

Honestly though, with all joking aside, you really are a biased little pissant, aren't you? Anyone mentions anything "nice" about PS2, and you have to pipe up with some comment.

Opinions are one thing, but constant bad-mouthing for the sake of it is not only unnecessary, but also marks you out as the immature child you really are. It's all you ever seem to do in your posts.

Someone mentions they bought a PS2 and were happy with it; someone else comments on the number of games available, without making any claims as to quality; and like a putrid fart that follows you around, up pops ALASTAIR with a negative comment.

And don't come out with the "oh but I own a PS2 myself" line, either. There are two possibilities with that response: either you're lying and don't own one, or you're an idiot - because only an idiot would buy a console that they spend all their time bad-mouthing.

Maybe if you spent more time gaming and less time on whinging, you might be better able to appreciate more of the titles that PS2 offers.

We all know now that you don't like the PS2, and most of us practically *expect* you to pop up and bad-mouth the PS2 in any thread where someone has praised it - so do us and yourself a favour, and save yourself some typing, you cretinous little tosspot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.