GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web Design Company Competition"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/10/01 at 22:28
Regular
I have only recently started using the forums here again, so I was too late to enter the logo competition by Turbonutter - Well done everyone (and congratulations Reaper!).

However, when I read through the thread, I realised what a strong community exists in these forums. Everyone grouped together for an interesting and enjoyable competition. People were praising others, and nobody was angry at the decision for the winner. Therefore I thought we should continue this idea, so we can all have a good time again.

Using the same idea, but a slightly different situation, this is my idea. I have read several threads where people have said they are professional web designers (a position I hold myself). One of the most difficult choices when becoming professional is the company name and slogan.

Therefore, I suggest a competition to find the best name and slogan for a small web design firm. There are no conditions for the name, though the slogan should not be more than 10 words max.

I will judge the competition at the end, and if I do win an FAD or GAD, I will donate this to the winner. The closing date for applications is Saturday 3rd November.

Good luck everyone!!
Thu 25/10/01 at 11:05
Regular
I'd like to learn some other tools, but its just the time factor. Some people have to go to college you know! :-D

The most Ive got payed for a website is £1500, but it was more of a long term project. Its a property website, that always needs updating, so I should get some more money for updating it aswell.

"David could you update a couple of pages please?"

"Of course, that will probably take me around 3 hours..... £20 an hour.... That will be £60 please"

"Anything you say David"

*Goes off and updates both pages in 10 minutes*

:-D
Thu 25/10/01 at 11:01
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
weqhim wrote:
> hey, just because im professional doesnt mean that i have to be expesnive. for
> most of my clients, there is nothing wrong with freeola and getdotted.com

Actually, for £2.99 I can do your own URL (.co.uk/.org.uk/.org £6.99 for .com's/.bis/.tv etc) and host for 2 years. No banners, no ads and full remote server control.

I wouldn't call that expensive.
Thu 25/10/01 at 10:57
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Dav1d wrote:
> I dont even write html, I use good old Dreamweaver. I dont know ASP, JSP, CFML, XML, XSLT, XHTML, JS, SQL or IIS!

Arghh!! Not another Dreamweaver person!! Learn some other tools!! You have better chance of geting further in the industry!

>But you cant take the pi*s seeing that I'm earning £250 a website (5-6 pages)..... Not a bad Saturday job eh?! :-D

Nice one!! Good rates too. Average 2 sites a day and your loaded!! I gat stuck with clients who want the earth for £3000 an take forever to make a descision!! I'd love to swap anyday!
Thu 25/10/01 at 10:20
Regular
What I think he's trying to say is that Web Designing for you is more of a hobbie rather than a proffesion.

Im 17, still at college, and I design websites for companys.

I wouldnt call this a job, (although I am getting payed!)..... Its more of a part time thing, kinda like a Saturday job, that gets me enough money to get me through the weeks, without having to work in McDonalds like my mates have to!

I dont even write html, I use good old Dreamweaver. I dont know ASP, JSP, CFML, XML, XSLT, XHTML, JS, SQL or IIS!

But you cant take the pi*s seeing that I'm earning £250 a website (5-6 pages)..... Not a bad Saturday job eh?! :-D
Thu 25/10/01 at 08:26
hey, just because im professional doesnt mean that i have to be expesnive. for most of my clients, there is nothing wrong with freeola and getdotted.com
Thu 25/10/01 at 08:08
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
weqhim wrote:
> I'm 15 (16 in 3 weeks)

And your a Professional Website Designer? mmmmm!! Something doesn't add up here? Shouldn't that have been "Professional bedroom based website designer for my friends without a blue chip client in sight"?

> if u mean web development, I would say i'm fairly good at it.

So that means your ASP, JSP, CFML, XML, XSLT, XHTML, JS, SQL, IIS etc is all up to scratch...

> ill post here when my site is up and when i've put one of the other sites i've done online (freeola was messing up last night). i'll try again

So you don't host your own then? Who do you use for Domain Registration and hosting? Are they all hosted at Freeola? Mmmm... professional... mmmmm...possibly not!!
Thu 25/10/01 at 07:19
This firm is one who designs web sites for clients (in this case we said the audience was SMEs). i.e., client asks for web site, firm makes web site, client pays firm.

hope thats cleared things up.

chiz
Wed 24/10/01 at 19:38
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Hmmm does this mean, make a site that is similar or offers help in HTML Webdesign, or a site like Macromedia.com??

So

A reply please?? similar to Htmlgoodies.com OR Macromedia.com?
Wed 24/10/01 at 13:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Slaveunit wrote:
> I doubt SR will just give you a FAD or GAD to give away, they like to run them
> themselves. Other people have asked before.

Yeah, I gave Ali a bit of subtle prodding. Still, never mind.
Wed 24/10/01 at 12:50
Tyla wrote:
> Just out of interest... how old are you? And are you any good with development?

I'm 15 (16 in 3 weeks), and what type of development do u mean??? if u mean software - then i dont even rank im so bad. i wouldnt know where to start. if u mean web development, i would say i'm fairly good at it. like i said b4, ill post here when my site is up and when i've put one of the other sites i've done online (freeola was messing up last night). i'll try again tonight tho...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.