GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Enter the Matrix, Final Fantasy X-2, and TimeSplitters 2."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/06/03 at 23:32
Regular
Hi, to anyone who remembers me, and hi to anyone who doesn`t! Bit of a mixed topic this, mostly because I haven't been around for some time, and have a few things to talk about which are spread over a long period of time. Anyway, here goes:

Final Fantasy X-2 - I subscribe to PSM2, and saw the two FFX2 videos on the last DVD. I remember thinking with Final Fantasy 7 that if I hadn't given the game a chance, that I would really have missed something special, so I'm determined not to be put off by some of the strange new things that have been added. I'll wait and see how the games turn out, and hope for the best.

However, one thing that really deserves a mention, or rather one person, Rikku. Okay, its sad I know, but forget Lara Croft, if you want to fall for a computer generated character, then you should really check out Rikku!

Enter The Matrix - Having seen the second movie, and knowing that the game tries hard to stick to a similar style, I'm guessing the game is all about action, and tends to forget about keeping the details and plot flowing nicely. Still, for a game of this kind, it probably won't matter, but I still haven't seen a review yet, so I really don't know. I had a read through the Matrix topic, and that's only put more doubt in my mind. It seemed quite shallow, even if it was fun for a few hours. Anybody got any trustworthy review scores?

TimeSplitters 2 - The reason I've been posting less recently is exams, again! However, for breaks during long days of revision, it was fun to turn on the old PS2 and give TS2 a go for a while. It had been on pause for some time, but I really found myself getting back into it. I still have a couple of challenges to bring up to gold, but I really feel like the game has come a long way. One thing I am curious about though is the platinum medals. I have several, but they are all in arcade league, honorary and elite. I was wondering if there were any in beginner series, or more importantly, in challenge mode.

I was beginning to doubt there were platinums in either - I thought 120,000 in behead the undead was pretty good, but I have heard rumours that 150,000 is the mark. As for beginner series, I've completed challenges in less than a quarter of the time, but still received no medal. I really hope the game doesn't expect you to get all the platinums, because if so, I'll probably never complete it!

Ah well, anything else been happening?
Tue 10/06/03 at 23:32
Regular
Hi, to anyone who remembers me, and hi to anyone who doesn`t! Bit of a mixed topic this, mostly because I haven't been around for some time, and have a few things to talk about which are spread over a long period of time. Anyway, here goes:

Final Fantasy X-2 - I subscribe to PSM2, and saw the two FFX2 videos on the last DVD. I remember thinking with Final Fantasy 7 that if I hadn't given the game a chance, that I would really have missed something special, so I'm determined not to be put off by some of the strange new things that have been added. I'll wait and see how the games turn out, and hope for the best.

However, one thing that really deserves a mention, or rather one person, Rikku. Okay, its sad I know, but forget Lara Croft, if you want to fall for a computer generated character, then you should really check out Rikku!

Enter The Matrix - Having seen the second movie, and knowing that the game tries hard to stick to a similar style, I'm guessing the game is all about action, and tends to forget about keeping the details and plot flowing nicely. Still, for a game of this kind, it probably won't matter, but I still haven't seen a review yet, so I really don't know. I had a read through the Matrix topic, and that's only put more doubt in my mind. It seemed quite shallow, even if it was fun for a few hours. Anybody got any trustworthy review scores?

TimeSplitters 2 - The reason I've been posting less recently is exams, again! However, for breaks during long days of revision, it was fun to turn on the old PS2 and give TS2 a go for a while. It had been on pause for some time, but I really found myself getting back into it. I still have a couple of challenges to bring up to gold, but I really feel like the game has come a long way. One thing I am curious about though is the platinum medals. I have several, but they are all in arcade league, honorary and elite. I was wondering if there were any in beginner series, or more importantly, in challenge mode.

I was beginning to doubt there were platinums in either - I thought 120,000 in behead the undead was pretty good, but I have heard rumours that 150,000 is the mark. As for beginner series, I've completed challenges in less than a quarter of the time, but still received no medal. I really hope the game doesn't expect you to get all the platinums, because if so, I'll probably never complete it!

Ah well, anything else been happening?
Wed 11/06/03 at 04:10
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Welcome back :)

Yeah, Yuna dancing and singing was kinda strange in the movie I saw, I'm wondering how they're going to work that into the storyline. The 'Mission' based gameplay looks intruiging, perhaps a major departure from regular Final Fantasy type gaming? I agree Rikku is kinda cute, but she's not my type. (Too feisty). Wouldn't ever say no to Angelina Jolie though, the hard part is waiting to get asked.

Interestingly, my devotion to Final Fantasy has taken a bit of a step backwards because I've got the PS2 online now, and Sony's EverQuest Online Adventures is coming out at the end of this year. Having read the U.S. forums and taken into consideration the gameplay and the overall package I really think EverQuest is going to give FFXI Online a run for its money. I'll be subscribing to EverQuest first (shock! horror!). Might have to change my name to QuestMeister...

The only advice I can give you about Enter The Matrix on the PS2 is not to buy it. Rent it first, take a few hours to play it right through, then make your decision. I hated it, although the 'Matrix' film extras that you could unlock were neat. The amount of bugs in the game will niggle you, I promise.

As for TS2, I'm still struggling to get Gold on most of it, I'm happy getting a Bronze most of the time, so I'm not the one to ask :)
Wed 11/06/03 at 19:21
"period drama"
Ooh ... shiny.
Welcome back.

As for FFX-2, I'm quite impressed with it all. It is just Square (well, Square Enix now - hoorah!) trying out new things, which they can't be slated for.
It would have been all-too easy to rip everything out of FFX and the usual FF stuff and shove it in a new story. But they're experiementing with new stuff - to see how they can expand the genre more than they have done already.

I really like the idea of just 3 characters - it'll make it a much closer and more developed story. Plus the battle system gets the benifits, and with a welcome return of the job system from way back when.

Plus the more action-orientated exploration I think is much better than Tidus; slow-mo jog - getting around faster will no doubt ease the frustration of random battles when you're so close to the exit or whereever. And the less-linear style of the game - if you haven't heard, you get the airship quite early on and can visit places in any order - will open it up a lot, one of FFX's flaws.

And I just loved FFX's stylings, it was beautiful and very impressive on all accounts. The 'feel' to the game was fantasic, and I'll love seeing the familiar game world developed more.

As for Timesplitters ... I haven't played it for aaaaagggeess. But now I think about it, I really would like to again - there's no denying it's greatness.
Damn you.

The Matrix I'll probably pick up when it's going cheap. Then main view is that it's a bit dissapointing - driving sections suck balls - but a good laugh for a quick bash and very impressive.
Plus it links in with the plot of the films, so you're probably going to have to get it eventually just to know everything.
Damn them.
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:43
Regular
Hi guys! Thanks for the welcome!

The online world is still scaring me off a little to be honest FM. I've read through a few of your posts telling us about them, and it does sound better than expected, but I don't quite know if I'm ready to join the online gaming world yet. My main problem I guess, is that I spend half the year at home, and half at uni, so its difficult to set anything up permanently. Ah well, maybe after next year!

I've been reading more about Final Fantasy X-2 today, catching up on PSM2s I was unable to read during my exams. I'm prepared for things to be a little dumbed down now, but am still hopeful that it could be a quite excellent game. It may not turn out to be as good as FFX, but hopefully it'll be close.

On Splitters 2, Nice Threads is giving me trouble, and that's just to get gold, let alone platinum. There are three main stages to the assault. The first part is a doddle. You simply pick up the laser, and use secondary fire to protect yourself as you run into the main building. Once there, it gets tricky. If you have enough health left, you could make it down the corridor, but I've never been able to get past both the Sentry bots and the lasers. As a result, the time consuming process of taking out all the lasers and going down time after time begins, until finally you make it to stage 3. Once there, its a short jump to the finish, but still pretty tough. The target is about 5 minutes for gold, which I know is possible, but the chances of me doing it seem pretty slim.

FFF, it sounds like your love for Splitters 2 has been woken again, let me know how you get on! Its an excellent game, and one that deserves stupid commitment. That actually reminds me, there are a load of arcade awards to be found in the statistics section. I recently got the "Persistance award" for using the game for 2 days and 3 hours. Not sure of the relevance of that (maybe it was time in arcade mode that was being counted, not the overall time). There are others like beheader award, traveller award, etc... as well as the standard awards from the arcade deathmatches. I have 44, and would guess there are perhaps 60 to collect.

Lastly, Enter the Matrix, I actually saw the Matrix Reloaded for a second time tonight, and its certainly got me more interested, but I think I'll take your advice (both of you). I'll wait a while, and if I'm still interested, I'll try hiring it, and then finally, might try buying it. However, with FFX2, I might just leave it at that for now, and concentrate on my final year of exams.

Anyway, thanks for your replies!
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:46
Regular
"Touched!"
This is a weird day..a lot of returns to the forum good to see the oldies!
Thu 12/06/03 at 23:48
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Hey Pro!

How come you dont return my calls? or my emails?...if i did actually send any...

Just thought id say hello. :D
Fri 13/06/03 at 13:21
Regular
"Double Dash!!!!!!!!"
Enter the Matrix

Famitsu Gave 28/40
Edge Gave it 3/10
Gamespy gave it 57%
Xbox official magazine gave it 85%

I have it and I really liked it, but It is the Shortest game ever, but saying there is two different paths, unlockable multiplayer and training modes, you can also talk to trinity, Neo and Morpheus, you can play with swords aswell

You also get 1 hours free footage, of which most isn't in the film, one clip shows a Kiss between Persephone( Monica Bellucci) and Niobe ( Jada Pinkett smith), the focus is class

Timesplitters 2 is sheer class always play it, eventhough i have completely anhililated it

as for FF 12, I have never played a FF game before, but it must be good because the Series is good and it sold like 1,000,000 copies in its first few weeks on sale in Japan, I'm not really into it though as I haven't got a PS2

What do people think about FF crystal Chronicles
Fri 13/06/03 at 18:10
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Welcome back 'pro. Talking of 'Splitters 2, did anyone else find the hands one really hard? It's the one where you have to shoot at big pink hands, which are also shooting at you. I think I managed a bronze or possibly silver on that, but at first it seemed impossible.
Fri 13/06/03 at 19:53
"period drama"
Yeah, goddamn the hand one is really hard. That's probably the one which p!ssed me off the most ... it just seemed so impossible.
And then, like so many times before, everything slid into place and I did really well - think I got silver. Which is nothing to scoff at.

What's up with that?
It always happens - you fail and fail at something and then, all of a sudden, you can do it no problems.
Fri 13/06/03 at 22:43
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Exaclty what always happens to me. And what happened on this one. Tried it loads and got nowhere near bronze, then one time I just did it a load better. I didn't try a different strategy or attitude, it just happened. Games don't follow the laws of nature. Either that or they just make the first few goes really hard to get weak willed people to give up. Sort the wheat from the chaff sort of thing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.