GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Sales go wild!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/10/01 at 15:41
Regular
Figures just out are showing that the PS2's sales in September were almost double that of August. September's figure was at around 130,000 which compared to August's 68,000 is quite a huge jump.

Sure, it's that gradual run up towards Christmas but who would have thought that a £70 price drop would suddenly spark such a dramatic upturn in sales?

The really spooky thing is that the PS2's price drop didn't even come into effect until the very end of the month therefore the sales for this month (October) could be even higher than those in September which would be incredible.

The question now is of course - how do Nintendo and Microsoft deal with Sony now that they've started grabbing a serious share of the next gen market?
No doubt the gamecube and Xbox will sell well but as the next batch of games (Metal Gear 2, Pro Evo etc) start to appear can they really compete?

It looks like the latest movies from Xbox and Gamecube do indeed look spectacular but despite a poor start from Sony there are now genuinely inspiring titles available.

I'm starting to think that Microsoft and Nintendo have a serious fight on their hands even though the PS2 is already almost a year old.
Mon 22/10/01 at 15:41
Figures just out are showing that the PS2's sales in September were almost double that of August. September's figure was at around 130,000 which compared to August's 68,000 is quite a huge jump.

Sure, it's that gradual run up towards Christmas but who would have thought that a £70 price drop would suddenly spark such a dramatic upturn in sales?

The really spooky thing is that the PS2's price drop didn't even come into effect until the very end of the month therefore the sales for this month (October) could be even higher than those in September which would be incredible.

The question now is of course - how do Nintendo and Microsoft deal with Sony now that they've started grabbing a serious share of the next gen market?
No doubt the gamecube and Xbox will sell well but as the next batch of games (Metal Gear 2, Pro Evo etc) start to appear can they really compete?

It looks like the latest movies from Xbox and Gamecube do indeed look spectacular but despite a poor start from Sony there are now genuinely inspiring titles available.

I'm starting to think that Microsoft and Nintendo have a serious fight on their hands even though the PS2 is already almost a year old.
Mon 22/10/01 at 15:48
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
I agree with you here, Mr. Coates.

Sony made an excellent decision to drop the prices of PS2s down to £199. It was slightly inevitable, though, everyone predicted it because it was the only thing Sony could do to keep up with GameCube and X-box.

The question now is...

Will they drop the price AGAIN soon?

SHOCKY - d:OD
Mon 22/10/01 at 15:52
I know a few people who are considering it now as the £200 price tag is just so tempting. Especially including a DVD player.

I just don't know if there'll be another drop.

Sony's statement was that it wasn't even a price drop - just an adjustment to bring it in line with other countries. So in theory they could be looking at another drop by Xmas - £179.99 would be enough to sway most people who are thinking about it.
Mon 22/10/01 at 16:04
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I think that Microsoft and Nintendo have more of a fight on their hands than people here think they do.

Many people are oohing and aahing about the graphics on the 2 machines, and slating the PS2 because of the titles that were available at launch.

Case study 1: The PS1. An unknown machine from console virgins is released at a far higher price than the current crop, with a launch lineup that was weak. Despite competition from a Nintendo machine with twice the power and a Sega machine with 4 times the power, the Sony is the only one still really in business.

Case study 2: The PS2. A second installment from one of the biggest selling consoles of all time, which has a weak lineup to start. A machine 4 times the power of the one that won the last console war, with backwards compatibility, DVD, Digital sound, and a massive following. Other brands are subsequently releasing more powerful machines, one that has a history of being childish and expensive (a general opinion, not mine), and a machine from a company that everyone hates.

Look at Ridge Racer and Tekken. Launch titles for the PS1. Now look at Ridge 4 and Tekken 3. Notice that these games are far superior to their predeccessors in every way. Now look at SSX and Tekken Tag. These are first generation games, and from what we have seen, the second generation is stunning.

MS and Nintendo have a massive fight on their hands. PS2 has the following, the developer backing, (exept the ones MS bought out, which not many people like them for), the now-reduced price, the MASSIVE library of games, PS2 and PS1, and some completely stunning titles.

MS are handling this fight by throwing money at it, buying licences and having that silly advertising budget. Their machine has no history (apart from Windows), and if you buy the dvd player addon, you could get a PS2 and a GC for the same money!

Nintendo are doing what they do best, creating great games, but at a price. Their optical discs are far more expensive to create. The carts on the N64 had to be bought directly from Nintendo by the publishers for each copy of the game they wanted to sell, at £7 each, forcing the price up. Expect to see this again. Their DVD version will be more expensive than the PS2 as well.

I'm sure that each of these competitor consoles will sell a shedload, Nintendo have a massive following, and I'm sure many people out there will get an X-Box, but the way it looks at the moment, PS2 still has the edge, especially as it's in the shops right now.

Do not underestimate the power of Playstation.

(cue everyone to whine about favouritism, and prove me wrong...)

:D
Mon 22/10/01 at 16:14
"High polygon count"
Shocktrooper wrote:
> everyone predicted it because it was the only thing Sony could do to keep up
> with GameCube and X-box.

Just a touch of wishful thinking there, methinks. Sony aren't playing 'keep up', the others are playing catch-up.

> Will they drop the price AGAIN soon?

Not *soon*, but I think it will come down to £150 within 8 months or so.
Mon 22/10/01 at 16:31
Totally agree Wookiee - the PS2 is sitting in a very powerful position and I'm sure M/S and Nintendo know it all too well.

I wouldn't know which out of the two to buy based on current info - I'd probably go with the Gamecube, especially as it's £100 less than the Xbox.

Let's face it, even if the Gamecube is the same price as PS2, most people will go with the PS2 based on games and DVD playing ability.

Xbox will be around £100 more than both - that can't be good for Microsoft. OK, so it's got the hard drive with it, but many won't even know what the hell that means in terms of gaming and it doesn't look like it's a key feature as yet.

The sensible money has to be on PS2 although some games on the other two do look wonderful.
Mon 22/10/01 at 17:10
"High polygon count"
I don't think the £299 for Xbox is a bad price; after all, I've bought both PS1 and PS2 for that in the past.

If I wanted an Xbox, then I'd have no hesitation paying that for it. But the thing is, I'm simply not interested in it. Sure the games and that look pretty, but the machine itself does nothing for me.

When I saw PS1 running, I thought "Wow! I must have one!" Same again with PS2. They both gave me a buzz (and no, it wasn't due to dodgy wiring...)

I paid little attention to the Gamecube until fairly recently, when I saw shots of Rogue Squadron and Resident Evil. Now I'm *almost* certainly getting one, though probably not at launch.

Yet when I look at the Xbox and what's available, I get... nothing. No "Wow!" factor, no anticipation, no excitement... nothing says to me "you NEED this product".

All I get is an overwhelming sense of "Oh yeah. Nice. Seen it all before though."

I've no idea why - but it just doesn't push my buttons.
Mon 22/10/01 at 17:42
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I agree, Wookiee. The X-Box has no spark about it. It will need to get something that will make it stand out from the others... and no, being big, fat and ugly doesn't count in this case :O
Mon 22/10/01 at 17:51
Or having a big, green, glowing light on the top doesn't help either...
Mon 22/10/01 at 18:23
Regular
"WWJD"
cool i bought mine this month and it's only 6 days till i can play it on sunday my Birthday

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.