GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Trade in wolfenstien for red faction 2 ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Wolfenstein'.
Thu 12/06/03 at 16:13
Regular
i'm considering if i should trade in return to castle wolfenstien for red faction 2 since i find RTCW easy on all difficultys and have completed it and since i might not be getting xbox live for a while then do you think i should trade it in for red faction 2 and how much more do u reckon i would need to pay ?
Fri 13/06/03 at 15:12
"I love yo... lamp."
Perfect Dark wins hands down. Far superior.
Fri 13/06/03 at 15:09
Regular
"8==="
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Perfect Dark I found was really let down in the level design, out of
> the new batch of levels I only really used Villa, Grid and a couple of
> others.

I thought they were excellent.
>
> Timespliters 2 as a mutliplayer shooter wins over Perfect Dark hands
> down, only 2 things it hasn't is the Grid (I managed ot make a near
> exact replicar on map maker) and a decent stats menu after you finish
> your game.

I disagree. TS2 is too arcadey and not accurate enough for my tastes.
>
> As a 4 player game though it can't be beat, there was too much
> slowdown in perfect Dark

Did you have Hi-Res on? A lot of people who play with Hi-res on say that to me. If you do take the Hi-res off: it screws everything up big time!

Rare let people decide how many bots they wanted themselves, this meant that those who could take a bit of slowdown on the bigger levels had a lot of bots, those who didn't, uh, didn't.

> especially when you were using bots as well
> in a 4 player game. Play a game of capture the bag with 4 people (or
> even better, use the system link on Xbox) with 2 bots on each side and
> then tell me that Perfect Dark's better.

wish I could. I need another xbox! :) I still prefer Perfect Dark because it just fits what I think a truly great FPS should be.
>
> I loved Perfect Dark and even though it had way more game play options
> and more intelligent bots, TSP2 for me is still the winner. Single
> player wise though, Perfect Dark wins every time.

The intelligent bots really do it for me, especially with the options. Single player does rule, but they are really different games despite the talent that worked on both.
Fri 13/06/03 at 12:38
Regular
Perfect Dark I found was really let down in the level design, out of the new batch of levels I only really used Villa, Grid and a couple of others.

Timespliters 2 as a mutliplayer shooter wins over Perfect Dark hands down, only 2 things it hasn't is the Grid (I managed ot make a near exact replicar on map maker) and a decent stats menu after you finish your game.

As a 4 player game though it can't be beat, there was too much slowdown in perfect Dark, especially when you were using bots as well in a 4 player game. Play a game of capture the bag with 4 people (or even better, use the system link on Xbox) with 2 bots on each side and then tell me that Perfect Dark's better.

I loved Perfect Dark and even though it had way more game play options and more intelligent bots, TSP2 for me is still the winner. Single player wise though, Perfect Dark wins every time.
Fri 13/06/03 at 09:23
Regular
"8==="
Maverick42 wrote:

> And TimeSplitters 2 is miles better than Perfect Dark

Erm in a word: No.

The levels are not as well designed as PD.

The bot's AI is laughable when compared to PD.

Perfect Dark's balance of accuracy and gameplay has yet to be bettered. This balance is in a league of it's own and cannot justifiably be compared to any other game currently on the market.

Perfect Dark has a more realistic engine.

Perfect Dark strives for a believable realism and is not cartoony.

There is a greater depth to the gameplay in Perfect Dark multiplayer, for instance stealth is a viable option in PD multi (even with bots), in TS2 stealth is not really a viable option.

Mines work better in Perfect Dark.

Perfect Dark's weapons selection menu (copied from Turok) is easily more practical than TS2's old fashioned weapon scrolling.

Perfect Dark allows you to customise your own Bots.

You can have more than three teams in PD.

You actually are interested in checking your saved stats when you play PD multi.

This is not to say TS2 is a bad game, far from it. I would class TS2 with games such as Unreal and the Quake series. Fun, mental but ultimately light-hearted FPS shooters.
I enjoy playing Timesplitters 2 like I enjoy playing Mario Kart it is good cartoony fun, there is a nice level of skill to it. Perfect Dark is more on a par with Ghost Recon. It is demanding, it is accurate and it is quite unforgiving.
Thu 12/06/03 at 22:18
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Trouble with TS2 is, if you look closely, all the computers sometimes
> come at you in a line in a free-for-all game and they ONLY want to
> kill you. They don't shoot one-another. That's poor AI. good game
> though but that's an irritating flaw (basically its no Perfect Dark
> but thenagain what is?)

It depends on what setting you put it on. Free For All, Team Battle, etc - the AI responds excellently. And TimeSplitters 2 is miles better than Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.
Thu 12/06/03 at 19:26
Regular
""To the pub...""
Hmmm lol could get red faction 2 tommorow *tempting*

or wait until next friday and get brute force thing is isn't brute force only 3rd person view

ahhhhhhh someone find me a job lol
Thu 12/06/03 at 19:16
Regular
"8==="
That's what I'm getting after Red Faction 2. It's got a much better 1 player than RF2.
Thu 12/06/03 at 19:12
Regular
""To the pub...""
or i could wait for brute force
Thu 12/06/03 at 18:09
Regular
"8==="
Trouble with TS2 is, if you look closely, all the computers sometimes come at you in a line in a free-for-all game and they ONLY want to kill you. They don't shoot one-another. That's poor AI. good game though but that's an irritating flaw (basically its no Perfect Dark but thenagain what is?)
Thu 12/06/03 at 17:57
Regular
As long as you're not expecting some ground breaking, jaw dropping, genre shifting game then you should be happy. It's no Halo beater but it's fun and that's all that matters really.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.