GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help save the world."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/06/03 at 00:06
Regular
Yes this does count as a kind of advert.

You see this is an appeal for you to join www.find-a-drug.co.uk
You might have heard about SETI@home, you know the thing where a program runs in the background using your unused processing power to scan data from a satellite dish.

Well FAD is similar in operation, except that instead of looking for aliens it looks for molecules and proteins that can be targeted for further research and stuff in finding a cure for cancer.

I have been running distributed computing projects for several months now.
It doesn't require much effort, you download a small program and a work unit (WU). Then the program runs in the background just processing. When it finishes that WU it moves on to the next in the queue of 2 or 3 that you download every so often from the net. When it is finished it gets sent back to FAD.

The program doesn't cause slowdown, it only uses unused power, as whenever you do anything else like type a letter it lets you do that and then starts processing again. After all other than in video editing or really high powered games you only ever use an average of 10% or so of your computers capacity. So why don't you donate it to a good cause?

FAD has several ongoing projects. Currently these are cancer, multiple sclerosis, SARS and bio terrorism viruses. HIV has been run in the past and will likely restart later this year.

If you do decide to join, I have now create a Special Reserve team. The team number for entering on the setup screen is 2072. So come on join up. So far, as I only just set the team up, I am the only member. Out of 54 teams, Special Reserve is ranked 39.

One day our efforts could make a difference. Imagine the lives that could be saved. In Britain, 1 in 3 people get cancer.

For every ones benefit, please help save the world, help find a drug.
Mon 16/06/03 at 19:45
"I love yo... lamp."
aXeFaCe wrote:
> http://www.freewebs.com/axeface
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> click you wont b disapointed better forums than this alsop check the
> picture section :)
>
> thanks

Get the hell out of here. You have been reported.
Mon 16/06/03 at 19:42
"I love yo... lamp."
Kinyo wrote:
> Uh a link?...

www.find-a-drug.co.uk

T'was in the original post.
Mon 16/06/03 at 19:41
Regular
http://www.freewebs.com/axeface
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
click you wont b disapointed better forums than this alsop check the picture section :)

thanks
Mon 16/06/03 at 19:40
"I love yo... lamp."
phi11ip wrote:
> So did you scan it for Spyware?
>
> And it will just slow my PC down more.
>
> Extra process = Phi1s PC goes slower.

No it wont. The process threading is set at low, so the moment you do anything, like open IE, you use the cycles. That is because everything you do is at normal or high priority. I have compiled programs running it, editted sound and video, run games. It has no effect.
Mon 16/06/03 at 18:36
Regular
"Smells of blue"
Uh a link?...
Mon 16/06/03 at 18:14
Regular
Hedfix wrote:

> Population shrinkage is around the corner.

stephen kings the stand springs to mind
Mon 16/06/03 at 18:09
Regular
"8==="
Borat Sagdiyev wrote:

> It brings me onto an interesting subject - the fact that
> overpopulation could ironically be the biggest problem the human race
> will face.
>
> anyway, I already have seti@home as my screensaver. with any luck
> we'll have predators, aliens and things bearing down on planet earth
> very soon

Natures already trying it's best to thin the number. Anti-biotics are becoming less effective, SARS comes out of nowhere, HIV, clamydia etc

A lot of people will die or are already dying, others will become sterile or are already sterile.

Population shrinkage is around the corner.
Mon 16/06/03 at 17:57
Regular
without getting to controversial, I find the search for ET more interesting than the cure for cancer. irony will dictate that I will now contract a particularly vicious form of cancer, but I stand by my arguement.

It brings me onto an interesting subject - the fact that overpopulation could ironically be the biggest problem the human race will face.

anyway, I already have seti@home as my screensaver. with any luck we'll have predators, aliens and things bearing down on planet earth very soon
Mon 16/06/03 at 17:48
Regular
"8==="
El Blokey wrote:
> No, as in Film-A-Day, what GAD used to be. Rather than 'craze' or
> 'fad'.

Ah. English language you confusa Wario!
Mon 16/06/03 at 17:46
Regular
"8==="
El Blokey wrote:
> OOh. FAD.

Hang on a minute. FAD as in a fad? As in something which will go out of date and is 'trendy' now? Or is the name just a coincidence?

*is confused*

Biggles have you done something naughty?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.