GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft you twonks"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/10/01 at 10:52
Regular
From IGN's specs for the Xbox:

Broadband Enabled: Yes
Modem Enabled: No

What??? No modem??? Are you mad? They're effectively cutting off nearly the whole Internet market in Blighty! Idiots!
Tue 23/10/01 at 08:28
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Logan wrote:
Incorrect! The article being referred to is for the AMERICAN Xbox... which has Broadband internet adaptor, AND HDD in the box.

WRONG: I quote:

Sandy Duncan, Vice President, Xbox Europe

"On March 14th , the future of video games will be available to European gamers and their perception of gaming will change forever," said Sandy Duncan, Vice President, Xbox Europe. "Xbox games out-perform the competition and will deliver some of the most powerful gaming experiences ever, where the lines between fantasy and reality blur like never before. It's a great time to be a game player.

"Leading with an aggressive introductory price was important to us, since one of our goals with Xbox is to grow the market for video games," said Duncan. "At £299 Xbox is fantastic value for gamers. Xbox is clearly more powerful than any other console, now or in the near future, and includes features, such as a built-in hard drive and BROADBAND ADAPTER, which other consoles only offer as expensive add-ons. The tremendous in-box value offered by Xbox will help grow the installed Xbox base more quickly. This will result in larger sales for 3rd party publisher and retail partners as well as our 1st party games publishing division.

The UK version DOES come with a broadband adapter... I rest my case!!!
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The GC's are seperate, the PS2's are combined.
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:54
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
GC

Broadband AND modem adapters
Mon 22/10/01 at 23:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes, it is remotely useful for games. The PS2 has a MPEG-2 decoder built into the emotion engine which means it can decode streaming MPEG-2s (DVDs) with no load on the processor. This has fantastic possibilities for games. The DVD playback capability was secondard but very easy and cheap to include.
Mon 22/10/01 at 22:24
Tyla wrote:
> Tellah wrote:
> So let me get this right.

The UK X-Box isn't released
> with a broadband
> adaptor / modem or DVD compatibility out of the box.
Is
> this right?

Correct!! Though it does have the Broadband adapter (which is OK
> if you are one of those lucky people with a Bb connection at home!!)

Incorrect! The article being referred to is for the AMERICAN Xbox... which has Broadband internet adaptor, AND HDD in the box.

The UK one will have a modem.

Neither will have DVD out of the box, but this can be bought in a pack in the same way a PS2 HDD/modem can be bought as an upgrade.

After all, it's not remotely useful for GAMES.
Mon 22/10/01 at 19:33
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
These companies have online strategies so it's doubtful they will be different.
Mon 22/10/01 at 19:15
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I have never heard any reports of this. The US xbox will launch with a broadband modem. We should assume that the UK xbox's will have a broadband modem also.
Mon 22/10/01 at 10:27
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Tellah wrote:
> So let me get this right.

The UK X-Box isn't released with a broadband
> adaptor / modem or DVD compatibility out of the box.
Is this right?

Correct!! Though it does have the Broadband adapter (which is OK if you are one of those lucky people with a Bb connection at home!!)
Mon 22/10/01 at 10:03
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
So let me get this right.

The UK X-Box isn't released with a broadband adaptor / modem or DVD compatibility out of the box.
Is this right?
Mon 22/10/01 at 09:42
"High polygon count"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Either this christmas or February.

PSW has "semi-official" news that it'll be Spring 2002.

The reason they give is that the manual for THPS3 states that it will be compatible with Sony's online plans "for Spring 2002", and all game manuals have to be vetted by Sony.

So, either it's Spring 2002, or someone's made an almighty balls-up in overlooking the error.

Of course, 3rd-party modems will be available before then, so it's six-of-one, half-a-dozen of the other.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.