GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Holland a Problem?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/04/07 at 08:43
Regular
Here is a problem we are having with Holland! yes Holland, we do a webs ite for a folk band www.scocha.co.uk and also www.scocha.com the .com site fwds to .co.uk and the co.uk site is hosted with Freeola. Now we are getting complaints from several viewers in Holland that the web site is slow to load, in fact up to 2.5mins! YET viewers in America and NZ and UK all say its fine.

I wonder how far spread out we are on this forum but would appreaciate if anyone could try either of these address and report back how long the site takes to load. Both sites are identical as I said the .com fwds to UK

Link to Scocha.com

Link to Scocha.co.uk

Any feedback much appreciated.

Kev
Wed 11/04/07 at 01:31
Regular
Cheers Garin will try these out

PS Scocha are in US just now in NY to be exact for tartan week, if you are in NY just pop along to a concert mention Kev said you could get in and you can enjoy a free concert on me

Kev

Garin wrote:
> It loads in about a second for me and I'm in the US.
>
> It could well just be a routing issue for people in Holland but
> its impossible to say without having direct access to such users
> and being able to get them to run a few things on their machines
> to check.
>
> Something to try is make sure all table cells and image tags
> have widths/heights on them so that the browser can display the
> page in the shortest possible time and doesnt have to wait for
> images etc. download to start calculating the page
> width/height.
>
> Also is it just the front page that they have problems with?
> Might be worth getting them to go directly to pages that dont
> have the music, the news tickers (and just to be safe I'd try
> removing the stat counter too).
Wed 11/04/07 at 01:28
Regular
Hi Dan
you could try installing sun java on your laptop, its a free download that might help.

Dan 777 wrote:
> Kev,
>
> I have now checked both the sites from my steam powered home PC
> and they load in 12 seconds. Also the Java tickers is there as
> is a .class file I use on my site, both of which do not show on
> my new laptop. Any suggestions why, must be something turned off
> in IE6 ???.
>
> >
> Dan en Francais (19'c hot n sunny)
Tue 10/04/07 at 16:52
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It loads in about a second for me and I'm in the US.

It could well just be a routing issue for people in Holland but its impossible to say without having direct access to such users and being able to get them to run a few things on their machines to check.

Something to try is make sure all table cells and image tags have widths/heights on them so that the browser can display the page in the shortest possible time and doesnt have to wait for images etc. download to start calculating the page width/height.

Also is it just the front page that they have problems with? Might be worth getting them to go directly to pages that dont have the music, the news tickers (and just to be safe I'd try removing the stat counter too).
Tue 10/04/07 at 14:19
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Kev,

I have now checked both the sites from my steam powered home PC and they load in 12 seconds. Also the Java tickers is there as is a .class file I use on my site, both of which do not show on my new laptop. Any suggestions why, must be something turned off in IE6 ???.

Did the speed test as GWD recommended, came back as 1027 kbps from paris server and 859 from madrid. Downloaded a 5MB AVG update yesterday at 163 b/sec so pretty quick broadband.

Dan en Francais (19'c hot n sunny)
Tue 10/04/07 at 13:33
Regular
Cheers GWD much appreciated. BTW I think all internet is slow today, we have an 8MB line and have been checking it all weekend due to another ongoing issue (see internet dropout) and speeds have been good, today the speed is down a tad, but then almost everyone is back to work today after the easter break.

Kev (in SUNNY but cold wind Scotland)
Tue 10/04/07 at 12:10
Regular
The page loads in about 20 seconds for me, including the music (which adds around 8 seconds).

I'm in Kent, on a standard Freeola 512 package, that's currently running slowly - but that's another story.

Tip: Use 'CTRL + F5' to force the page to reload from scratch to save you clearing your cache.

I'm currently downloading at around 300kbps :(
If you have dial-up visitors, then at around 50kbps it will take a few minutes to load!

Dan - your wireless connection may be 54mbps, but I think you'll find that's not your internet connection, just the wireless LAN speed. France has fast internet access but I don't think it's that fast yet! Try a speed test at somewhere like www.speedtest.net to see what you really are.
Tue 10/04/07 at 11:20
Regular
That missing space that you are on about Dan should be a Java news ticker.

Kev
Tue 10/04/07 at 10:53
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Kev,

I've cleared internet history and tried again, still can't get that picture to show. I can't properties it either ???, just an empty box between bootprint.jpg and http://www.scocha.co.uk/images/saltires.jpg

I'm on wanadoo.fr or as most of us sometimes say 'don't wanadoo anymore', it can be fraught trying to get service at times sadly they have the monopoly as part of french telecom !!. Probably the same in Holland.

Dan
Tue 10/04/07 at 10:37
Regular
Hi Dan in France, thanks for that report. Not sure about the photo as its def working in UK :-) perhaps its foggy in the channel, its a strange problem, as I see it if its working in France and our stats suggest that its working in many other countries all over the world then it should work in Holland, yet we get complaints from Holland that the site is not working in Holland, and has not been or a few days it would appear. Holland suggests its a problem with our ISPs server, yet I cant see that Freeola could exclude Holland when allowing a site to go on to the WWW.

I Think it may be a problem with her ISP (Wannadoo.nl)

Kev
Tue 10/04/07 at 10:23
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Kev,
I'm currently in france on laptop wifi 54Mbps.

Site took about 4 seconds to load but the picture to the left of:
http://www.scocha.co.uk/images/saltires.jpg
is not showing, just the red X in top left corner. Will not show after a 'shift' refresh !!

Dan

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.