GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Did Jesus rise from the dead?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/04/07 at 16:14
Regular
"lets go back"
Yesterday was Easter Sunday, the day when Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. Jesus was a real historical figure who was killed by crucifixion. There is plenty of evidence to prove that he walked the earth and that he was a hugely influential figure. He also claimed to be God in human form. This was ultimately proven when he conquered death and rose from the grave. This is what Christianity pivots on. He either did rise from the dead and is therefore Lord of all or he didn't and isn't.

I recently attended a talk on this topic in which the speaker debunked all of the popular alternative theories as to what happened. I thought it would be interesting to ask you lot what you think happened. This isn't a cue to come up with stupid theories. I'm asking you what you genuinely think happened. Did Jesus rise from the dead? and why did you come to your conclusion?

If you have never given it any thought or feel you don't know enough to fairly comment then still reply and possibly ask questions.
Tue 10/04/07 at 07:29
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Faith or no faith, I do not know the answer to the question. Though if I were forced into having an opinion I would say that basing beliefs of truth on prose is a mistake.
Mon 09/04/07 at 23:53
Regular
"gsybe you!"
maybe the disciples were all insane.
hey, it's just as good an answer, considering it's based on sod all
Mon 09/04/07 at 23:06
Regular
Maybe the guards let him out.
Mon 09/04/07 at 20:42
Regular
Geffdof wrote:

> If his followers moved the body that means they would be lying
> about Jesus' resurrection yet these people sacrificed their
> lives to spread the message of the resurrection. Many were
> crucified themselves, some where attacked and killed by angry
> mobs and one was even skinned alive. I don't know anyone who
> would go to those lengths to protect a story that they knew
> wasn't true. You would have nothing to gain from it.

In one sense it's true, but in another they have everything to gain. Yes they're paying the 'ultimate sacrifice', if you want to call it that, but their names would be remembered for thouands of years to come.

It's also possible that several committed apostles truly believed they had to move the body and then told the others who wished to believe it via their devout beliefs. Obviously this isn't likely unless the story of doubting Thomas(?) was added as a white lie.

> Historical records say that he got put into the tomb belonging
> to Joseph of Arimathea which was then guarded by a group of
> Roman centurions. This logically means he was either in the tomb
> or that everyone involved was an idiot and didnt notice where the
> body went. This is highly unlikely, but even so, it was still a
> dead body.

True, but, the stone across the entrance to the tomb moved somehow, so either they went off guard duty or failed to notice.
Mon 09/04/07 at 20:34
Regular
"lets go back"
Saying someone moved the body was one of the things mentioned at the talk. If The Romans had moved the body then when Jesus' followers claimed he had risen from the dead they would have just gone and brought the body out and said "in your face, he's dead".

If his followers moved the body that means they would be lying about Jesus' resurrection yet these people sacrificed their lives to spread the message of the resurrection. Many were crucified themselves, some where attacked and killed by angry mobs and one was even skinned alive. I don't know anyone who would go to those lengths to protect a story that they knew wasn't true. You would have nothing to gain from it.

Historical records say that he got put into the tomb belonging to Joseph of Arimathea which was then guarded by a group of Roman centurions. This logically means he was either in the tomb or that everyone involved was an idiot and didnt notice where the body went. This is highly unlikely, but even so, it was still a dead body.
Mon 09/04/07 at 19:57
Regular
I don't know exactly how alternative theories were rejected, but, it's always seemed most logical to me that Jesus either never made it to the tomb in the first place, or had his body taken out of it by a group of people.

Now, that's not to say I'm saying that's what happened, only that this seems more logical to me, without taking the view that Jesus actually rose from the dead.

Many people who agree with the Christian belief that he rose from the dead then seem fixated on the 'how did he move the boulder' question, but, come on.. if he rose from the dead would moving a boulder really be a problem?!

On the other hand, I reject things like the face in the 'Turin shroud' as actual evidence. Eerily similar yes, coincidence, yes.

I'm not sure I'll ever be swayed one way or the other, not being a Christian and never being able to go through a detailed range of evidence. Having said that, I might try and find some to look through. As for the account itself, it's always sort of reminded me of Creation or the story of Noah; there not to be literally true but as an illustration. The story of Jesus' resurrection though is supposed to be completely true, which is why I'm never sure.
Mon 09/04/07 at 17:50
Regular
"gsybe you!"
As Garin said, this is an odd question. It hinges on faith. If you have it, of course he did. If you don't, of course he didn't. Alternative theories seem to me to exist inside the realm of accepting the whole thing happened, hence having faith.
Mon 09/04/07 at 17:18
Regular
"8==="
All hail Zombie Jesus.

[URL]http://littlejimmy.ytmnd.com/[/URL]
Mon 09/04/07 at 17:05
Regular
"lets go back"
The bible teaches that we will have newly created bodies in heaven. Maybe heaven is more physical than we think. I honestly don't know but its something I'll look into.
Mon 09/04/07 at 16:57
Regular
Although this isn't directly related to him rising from the dead, I always wondered what happened to his body after he rose from the dead. He went to heaven? OK. But how can you take your material body into a spiritual world, the whole story never really made alot
of sense to me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.