GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So the PS2 launch was poor?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/10/01 at 12:54
Regular
Just read in EDGE magazine, that the Gamecube sold 450,000 machines in japan on release day, compared to the PS2 that sold 900,000 machines on release day, and that was when they ran out of machines.

Just thought you all might like to know.....
Fri 19/10/01 at 11:08
Strafex wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
Every firm has a flop eventually,
> Sega's was the Saturn,
> Nintendo's was the N64 and Atari's was the Jaguar. (Could
> be the curse of
> the black console here!!)

Nope, I'd say Nintendo's was the Virtual Boy. That thing gave you headaches and no-one bought it.
Thu 18/10/01 at 22:12
Regular
Tyla wrote:
Every firm has a flop eventually,
> Sega's was the Saturn, Nintendo's was the N64 and Atari's was the Jaguar. (Could
> be the curse of the black console here!!)

The N64 wasn't a flop, it just wasn't as successful as the Playstation.
I think that it was a fair success but it didn't take oveer the word.
Thu 18/10/01 at 20:01
Regular
hello there was a shortage of PS2 units

like wookiee said

"You can't necessarily judge any product by how quickly it sells out in pre-orders, though.

I could launch Acme Console Widget tomorrow and claim that all my pre-orders were sold out in 5 seconds; but if I'd only made two of them...

It all depends on how many units the retailers have."
Thu 18/10/01 at 19:46
Regular
"Death to the Infide"
im not sayin ps2 is crap, but GBA sold somthing like a million on its release day...
Thu 18/10/01 at 19:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Stephen 108 wrote:
> and half of the ps2 had to be returned as they didn't work!!

Now that's a blatent lie.
Thu 18/10/01 at 19:20
Regular
it wasnt half and the only reason they were faulty is because they were making them so fast due to the huge demand they were bound to make mistakes
Thu 18/10/01 at 19:07
Regular
"Digging!"
and half of the ps2 had to be returned as they didn't work!!
Thu 18/10/01 at 14:40
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Oddly enough, the company involved refused to comment on numbers as they didn't want it compared to pre-orders of a previous console... Sounds a bit dodgy to me!!
Thu 18/10/01 at 14:31
"High polygon count"
You can't necessarily judge any product by how quickly it sells out in pre-orders, though.

I could launch Acme Console Widget tomorrow and claim that all my pre-orders were sold out in 5 seconds; but if I'd only made two of them...

It all depends on how many units the retailers have.
Thu 18/10/01 at 14:25
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Pointless piece of information... But related anyhow!!

Strafex wrote:
> Also, Japan had also just been hit by a major earthquake.

Oddly enough, one of the factories demolished in this earth quake was one responsible for producing the chip set for the PS2 affecting production quite dramatically...

A TFT Screen productiom firm was also levelled causing a massive increase in the cost of TFT screens and the halt to the fall inthe cost of Laptops...

The PS2 launch wasn't too bad. Most of it happened online and half way through the Japanese launch, They changed the design of the console too, which didn't help matters.

Personally i would say it was successful... 20million to date and only in 18 months plus 30million PSOnes and 70million plus of the original PSX's Sony have definately captured over 60% of the games hardware market (not including Handhelds!)

The Gamecube launch will be massive in the states (pre orders sold out in 4 minutes) as the US love Nintendo and over here too demand will be equally high, purley because they've got it right this time and have learned the Marketing skills of Sony, but it will take them sometime to catch up with Sony.

As for the XBOX - 4 hours to sell out pre orders in the US? Delaying the japanese launch for 4 months (Biggest market for consoles) and not offering huge commitment to Europe...

Every firm has a flop eventually, Sega's was the Saturn, Nintendo's was the N64 and Atari's was the Jaguar. (Could be the curse of the black console here!!)

With the XMAS market coming up, Sony have definately got this one with Nintendo doing equally well... All will be revealed in november when the US figures arrive!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.