GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"NTL are "not ready for online PS2 gaming"."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/06/03 at 15:57
Regular
Yes, that's right.

I've just has a chat with some hard-to-understand Irish woman about getting a 600k broadband connection installed, and I also asked her whether I could have their 'broadband + console' package, so I could use my PS2 to go online as well as my PC.

She got confused.

She said that I'd be able to download games but not be able to play online with my PS2, even though they are advertising that I could do so on their homepage.

Also, I'm pretty certain a few users on here are online with their PS2's using an ntl broadband connection. If so, why are they saying I can't?

Shouls I get a broadband connection and just hook my PS2 up anyway?

Someone help.

Thank you.
Tue 24/06/03 at 10:10
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Because I'm going to go ahead with this router thing, is there anywhere that I can actually walk into and buy one, instead of ordering one over the internet?
FM has already told me where I should buy what he's told me I'd need, but I was just wondering whether there were any shops that also sell routers and CAT5 cables...

Anyone?
Tue 24/06/03 at 09:06
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Looks like I'll be using a router then, like good ol' FM.

That ain't cheap.
£40+ for a router.
£15 for all the CAT5 cables.

And the monthly fee.
Mon 23/06/03 at 18:26
Regular
"WWJD"
I would deffenetly go ahead with it
Mon 23/06/03 at 16:34
"High polygon count"
ManicMyna wrote:
> I bust that cap daily and they ain't done squat

As far as I know, they are supposed to send you a letter about it - but only if you break it for 3 days in succession or something like that. Can't remember the details.

> 1. don't ask them anything remotely technical as they know nothing

Personally, I haven't found that to be the case. I phoned them with questions about BB before signing up for it, and the guy I spoke to was able to answer all my questions easily.

> 2. don't ask them why the news server has been out of service for
> days

The news server can be temperamental, but I don't use it that often to be honest. Even so, I have both news.ntlworld.com and news.cable.ntlworld.com servers set up, and one of the two is usually working when I do look want to use it.

> 3. any problem you have that reqires an engineer call out takes days
> to fix as they always want to give you a delayed time slot

Again, that's not been my experience. On the few occasoins I've needed an engineer, they've usually arrived the following day.
Mon 23/06/03 at 16:28
"High polygon count"
Natbuc wrote:
> They do? Does this apply for 150k aswell? Suppose a gig is pretty big
> though. I never download stuff only music.

Think it only applies to the 600k service and above, but don't quote me on that.
Mon 23/06/03 at 15:01
Regular
"oaps.org"
Shocktrooper wrote:
> I really want this broadband + console package

but you're just paying an extra £5 a month for a second ip

a change of leads and reset of the modem will mean you can go online, ICS will mean your pc has to be on while you play, or a router all allow you to connect without shelling out an extra fiver a month for nothing (it's not as if the customer service even acknowledges the existance of the PS2 online.

remember ntl's network stops at their modem - it doesn't include whatever you attach to it no matter what their AUP says

save you're money you'll need it for when you have to sit on hold waiting for an answer from the help desk.
Mon 23/06/03 at 13:05
Regular
"  "
Valentino Rossi wrote:
> by the way Nat, I have the 150k line also - it was only 1.99 a month
> for 12 months if you been a customer for 5 years :) - if you run a
> speed test it runs about 256k anyway, 150k is the guaranteed minimum
> so it does run quite a bit faster as standard.

Last time I did mine it was running at 110k-ish.
Mon 23/06/03 at 12:53
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
by the way Nat, I have the 150k line also - it was only 1.99 a month for 12 months if you been a customer for 5 years :) - if you run a speed test it runs about 256k anyway, 150k is the guaranteed minimum so it does run quite a bit faster as standard.
Mon 23/06/03 at 12:51
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I have NTL broadband also, go over 1gb daily nearly everyday and they've done nothing. Do have problems now and again with the cable TV and broadband but get it sorted with a phone call usually.

but www.nthellworld.com springs to mind .....
Mon 23/06/03 at 12:27
Regular
"you've got a beard"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
>
> My only complaint, really, is the 1GB cap they've put on broadband
> usage - it seems to defeat the whole object.

absolutely. that was an outrage.
they did it because it put strain on their equipment. so rather than pull their finger out and get more/better stuff, they just punish the users...
it's ridiculous, imagine if you bought a car then a month later the manager came to ask for the tyres back cos they didn't have enough to cope with new customers.
absurd.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.