GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What the hell!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/06/03 at 10:24
Regular
Tomb Raider has had 3 reviews so far and the average review score is 47%! I am shocked that after all this time the game has turned out so bad. If you go to Gamerankings.com you can find the reviews there. PSX Nation gave it 3/10 and said that despite the lovely CG movies the rest of the game plays appaulingly. I was hoping for at the very least a competitor for Tomb Raider 2 but instead we have this?

They said they have just taken what Tomb Raider 4 + 5 did and spiced up the graphics a little. I was hoping for a secret hit and a console shifter here but instead it looks like its turned out to be another pile of rubbish. I was thinking of getting this when I pick up my PS2 in a few weeks (again) but now I think I will give it a rental before zooming out.

From what I am read so far I am very disappointed.
Tue 24/06/03 at 14:06
Regular
"Complete Banker"
I heard a rumour that there'll be another Tomb Raider out before the end of the year - in line with Eidos' usual November release. Maybe they've been focusing on the new game, improving the engine and controls etc??

I was looking forward to this, but to be honest now that I've (finally) started Vice City, I have no time in my life for it. Furthermore, it looks like I'd be better off buying one of the earlier TR games for next to nothing!
Tue 24/06/03 at 14:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> "look there's a tiger, I shall do back flips while I hold down
> the fire button and hope to god that I don't end up flipping off a
> cliff"
--

Best review of the Tomb Raider series evah

could also add "Jump, catch, climb. Fall. "Euuurgh". Balls. Restart"
Tue 24/06/03 at 14:01
Regular
I can't believe people still want to play Tomb Raider games. I totally lost intrest in the series by the time the 3rd game came around, they were great when they first game out but the way Lara controls is just so dated and rubbish, on top of that the level design and combat mechanics are terrible.

"look there's a tiger, I shall do back flips while I hold down the fire button and hope to god that I don't end up flipping off a cliff"

Rubbish.
Tue 24/06/03 at 11:37
Regular
Tomb Raider will sell, I wouldn't be suprised if it beats all the records for this era's games. It doesn't mean it will be good though.

The reason to do with the delays is most likely to bring it closer to the theatrical release of the second movie, moreso than to tidy it up a bit. Sure, they've had all this time to fix bugs, but by delaying it so much, it is bound to be losing them a lot of money - they must have high hopes for its eventual release.
Tue 24/06/03 at 11:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
They dont like it at all.
Basically saying it has promise but is poorly implemented.

Ah well, saved me getting it
Tue 24/06/03 at 11:18
Regular
They have reviewed it now I believe. 6.5 it got?!
Tue 24/06/03 at 11:14
"slightlyshortertagl"
:0)
Tue 24/06/03 at 11:03
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
From Gamespot (this is class!)

Eidos recently announced that Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness had gone gold and would be in stores by this weekend, despite rumors that the game would see another delay. However, we've got the proof in our hands that the game is actually done--our preordered retail copy showed up this morning, and we've since been playing the game to see how it finally shaped up. In short, we were quick to note a number of rather serious-looking problems with the game's control and visuals that seem to suggest that this latest Tomb Raider shipped earlier than it probably should have.

The beginning of Tomb Raider has Lara Croft fleeing from some armed thugs through a rundown part of town. Here is where the game attempts to get you acquainted with the control scheme, but Lara's voiceover tutorial doesn't always trigger correctly, and it's not clear exactly what you're supposed to climb on or where you're supposed to go, so this initial sequence doesn't give a good first impression. The controls seem sluggish and unresponsive, and it's particularly difficult to get Lara to turn parallel to a ledge, so that she could time her jumps correctly. Sometimes the camera angle switches during a sequence, forcing you to compensate on the control stick or else spontaneously turn the other direction. Also, the game suffers from some incredible bouts of slowdown--sometimes the action suddenly just slows to a complete crawl, as though Lara Croft were suddenly walking on the Moon or something.

We noticed some bizarre inconsistencies in the game. One part later into the first sequence has Lara trying to escape from a building that's been filled with knockout gas. We came across a door and tried to open it, but Lara informed us that the door was locked and needed a key. The next floor up, we tried opening a similar door, and without a word, Lara shoulder rushed it, crushing the door open.

Lara is now capable of moving stealthily, crawling on all fours, and moving while prone. Knowing she's this agile, we were very surprised when we found ourselves unable to crawl through a space roughly five feet across--basically just an old mattress folded across a vertical metal bar. This proved to be an insurmountable obstacle, as solid as a brick wall.

Another surprise came when we stealthily eliminated an opponent standing perfectly still with his back turned to us. The defeated enemy blinked several times and then vanished completely, just like in the 1987 arcade classic, Double Dragon.

It's easy to die in the game even early on by falling to your death due to the awkward control scheme. Once dead, you're given the option to load a saved game or exit to the main menu--so you need to remember to save periodically. For some strange reason, pressing the pause button brings up a menu with just an option to exit the game, while pressing the select button gives you access to your inventory and such. We found ourselves checking our inventory frequently, since picking up objects in the environment just causes a small, indecipherable image of the object to appear in the corner of the screen.

If you've gathered from these impressions that we're not particularly impressed with Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness from what we've played so far, you've gathered correctly. It's evident that this game isn't ready for prime time, and yet here it is in our hands, and potentially in yours. We're cautiously optimistic that the game gets better than these early sequences, but nevertheless highly recommend that you stay tuned for our full review early next week before rushing off to pick this one up
Tue 24/06/03 at 10:58
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
Tomb Raider is rubbish. Every Tomb Raider game except the very first one is rubbish and will continue to be rubbish for eternity.
Tue 24/06/03 at 10:52
Regular
"  "
OPSM 2= 8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.