GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hasn't Mario Kart always been 'slow'?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario Kart 64'.
Tue 24/06/03 at 14:28
Regular
Read a post-E³ preview of Mario Kart: Double Dash!! on the GameCube, and what's the one bad-point every-single critic has to make about it?
The game's speed.

"It's too slow!" "Too slugish!" "Need" to be faster!" and so on...

But, although it does seem like this new Mario Kart will be slightly slower than we would've expected, since when have the Mario Kart games ever really been that... 'fast'?

Just look about Mario Kart 64, for example...
When I first played that game, I remember thinking it did feel rather sluggish, at times. In comparisson to many other racing games, anyway.
It may have been a little slower, but everyone seemed to love it that extra-bit more than they did with the original game on the SNES - especially in 4-player Battle Mode!

Just as long as we had our red and green shells, we were happy! :)

So, why can't people think the same about Double Dash!! ??
If anything, this game has got to be BETTER than the '64-version, surely?

Better graphics for a start, and new 2-people-per-kart system that offers some interesting new ideas, the same old power-ups and way to go about doing things (and perhaps even some new ones, too?), twice-as-many characters to play as than ever before, and more.

If we've ignored the 'lack-of-speed', then surely it won't bother us this time, either?

And anyway, how would you be able to enjoy ANY Mario Kart game if the karts all raced-around at F-Zero-like speeds?!
That would make it too much like a "standard" racing game - something Mario Kart will never be!
You'd spend too-much time trying to master corners and avoid skidding off the track to actually make good use of and ENJOY the beauty of taking out an opponent with a red of green-coloured shell!

And that's what I think the problem is - racing games today all seem to be about nothing but speed. And with that in mind, people are forced to look at any new Mario Kart game in this way.
Burnout 2, F-Zero, Tube Slider, Need for Speed... The list goes on!

The fact is, `Mario Kart´ games are like no other.
It's not about speed, not about 1st place, it's abou having fun - just like so-many of Nintendo's other top-franchises.

So, I'll be looking forward to this game more than any other 2003 release no matter what the likes of NGC, GamesMaster, IGN or anyone else thinks! :P
Thu 26/06/03 at 12:53
"I love yo... lamp."
I don't really care. It would be nice if it went a bit faster. But Im not really complaining.

It wouldn't matter how fast it was I'd still get beaten by ginger just as quickly...
Thu 26/06/03 at 11:03
Regular
Doubt it, DK's Jungle was one of the best looking levels.
Thu 26/06/03 at 10:22
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
could it be that the majority of the time, the game used 100% of the processor power but some tracks had less detalied backgrounds etc so they ran faster ?
Just call me Mr Technical.
Wed 25/06/03 at 23:55
Regular
Bam_Margera wrote:
> I also noticed that the game ran fast on DK's jungle track, we used to
> pick it on purpose because of it when racing in multiplayer

Yeah, used to go stupidly fast on that track. Found it sometimes went like that on Wario Stadium as well for some reason.
Wed 25/06/03 at 21:14
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
That was me, not Bam. That would just be stupid.
Wed 25/06/03 at 21:08
Regular
"~H~I~M~"
Rainbow road was the slowest of the slow, I'm hoping for the no sides to the track in the new game.

I also noticed that the game ran fast on DK's jungle track, we used to pick it on purpose because of it when racing in multiplayer.
Wed 25/06/03 at 19:40
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
People already seem to have mentioned it, but MK64 had some glitch that made it run faster at times. My cart almost always went 'turbo' on Skyscraper in Battle Mode, as well as on some racing courses (usually that Donkey Kong one with the jump over the river)

We've finished our AS exams at school, so we've had an N64 brought in, and I brought in Mario Kart for it, and it's been going 'turbo' sometimes in loads of courses, Wario Stadium, Royal Raceway, Rainbow Road...

Anyway, it can feel sluggish normally after bouts of it going 'turbo' on you, but MK games have never had a huge sense of speed, and as it's been said, the versions played so far are likely the initial speed (50cc) and they'll be higher speeds to unlock.
Wed 25/06/03 at 19:04
Regular
Look at the speed difference from the original to Double Dash.

SMK is Much MUCH slower than DD, and, the original was lloved by many people, so even more people will like this.

Oh, and the original was great, this will be better.
Wed 25/06/03 at 17:43
"Gracia senoir"
what?
Wed 25/06/03 at 17:42
Regular
Compare Double Dash to the original.

The original is still loved by millions across the world.

I win. (So does everyone who buys it)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.