GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web Design, can you help me?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/10/01 at 13:54
Regular
Hi

I have a few questions about web design:

1. How do I make a link that when you click on it a new window opens and loads the link that you clicked on if you see what I mean?

2. I have a table of contents of what is on a page and I want to click on say the letter "A" and I want the browser to jump down to where "A" is on the same page, what HTML codes would I use to do this?

3. Finally I want to use Javascript so when you move the mouse over a hyperlink the hyperlink then has a line appear under it when the mouse scrolls over the link. Do you know how to do this?

Thanks if you can help.
Tue 23/10/01 at 01:34
This is the code that you require :-
put it in between the tags.

Cheers,
Stewart:0D
Thu 18/10/01 at 09:05
Regular
Hi

Thanks for your help, I will try out the html code later.
Wed 17/10/01 at 21:56
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Ah, I think i see what I did wrong:

Wed 17/10/01 at 21:45
Regular
Hi

You did but all it does is highlight the word when the mouse goes over it, what I want to know is how to make a line appear under the link when you move the mouse over it like on www.gamesradar.com.

Thanks if you can help.
Wed 17/10/01 at 14:13
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Didn't I already do that for you??
Wed 17/10/01 at 13:43
Regular
Hi

I want to have the links underlined when I move the mouse over a link like on www.gamesradar.com

Does anyone know how to do this?
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:09
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
This is done using PHP, and PHP isn't on your Home Computer, but on the Freeola Servers. Upload the Page (making sure it's ending in .php) and try it again :o).
Wed 17/10/01 at 11:07
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Sorry, ok what it is is links are always done with the only think you needed to change was the letter next to the #, so you'd want

A to get to A
B to get to B
C to get to C
D to get to D
E to get to E
F to get to F
G to get to G

etc ...

.. hope that is more clear.
Wed 17/10/01 at 09:25
Regular
Hi

I tried putting the Time and Date in my home page which would update every time you open the home page but it didn't work, I got the code from the Freeola newsletter, and here it is:

FREEOLA TIP OF THE WEEK: LOOKING AT PHP Pt. 1

DATE AND TIME
Over the next few weeks we'll help you get to grips with PHP which is avaliable to all Freeola and GetDotted customers and allows you to add more functionality to your website. This week we tell you how to add the date and time to your page which looks good and gives the impression that your site is up to date.

To display the date and time simply copy and paste the following PHP code into your webpage where you would like the date and time to be displayed:

The date will display like this:

Mon Sep 17, 2001 14:25:07

To work correctly, the page filename must end with the letters .php
Example: index.php or aboutme.php It will not work if your page filename ends with .html or .htm

---------------

I followed the instructions but it didn't work, does anybody know what I could have done wrong?

I followed the instructions and then checked the page by saving it and opening it in Internet Explorer offline. Do I need to upload it to my website and then view it on my website online before it will work.
Wed 17/10/01 at 09:17
Regular
cjh wrote:
> 2:
put where you want to link to, on
> the same page (by the Letter A you mention, for example).
Make the Link,
> using a # in it:
goto Aalways make
> sure that whatever you put as the NAME in the > NAME=""> that you put a # before the name in the > HREF=""> bit.
>... hope that makes sence, and helps.

I had trouble getting the above to work right. It works for A, but for B after it, it links to A as well, and so does C, D, E and so on. How do I turn it off after A because does not seem to work.
I tried putting goto B for the letter B but it didn't move to the letter B in the browser because I think the code for A has not been turned off.
I will try again to see if I can get it to work.
In the mean time can anyone help?

Thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.