GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Advice needed on getting a new P.C."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/06/03 at 09:52
Regular
The last time I had a pC I handed over £900 for a DX4 100Mhz. Obviously, times have changed and in my quest for broadband and Xbox Live, I've decided to purchase a PC. What I'd like to know is what SR's Maxx PCs are like? The money's not a problem and I can get the highest spec one if I wanted to but I just want to know whether anyone has one and what upgrades etc. I should get. Please bear in mind that I don't want to be buying a new one for another couple of years, at least.

So, any suggestion?
Sun 29/06/03 at 17:54
Regular
"I see you"
I've just been looking at prices on the net and the MAXX 4D XP 3000+ which is £1,099.99 i could build for £872.88. Now see how much money you save? The MAXX PC's aren't all that good anyway cos they only run at 333Mhz bus speed also the Athlon XP 3000+ dos not run at 2.6GHz, it only runs at 2.17GHz and also again to get the most out of your pc build one that has a 400Mhz bus speed.
Sun 29/06/03 at 17:15
Regular
"I see you"
§niper wrote:
> Perhaps.. but would you want to spend 3 years with a pentium 500 and
> voodoo 3 for 3 years or get a new computer either way... o_O

I'd rather save up the money, buy the parts of the net and then build a pretty decent pc myself, one that'd blow the maxx pc's easily and you can just by looking around on the net.
Sun 29/06/03 at 17:03
Regular
Perhaps.. but would you want to spend 3 years with a pentium 500 and voodoo 3 for 3 years or get a new computer either way... o_O
Sun 29/06/03 at 10:30
Regular
"I see you"
Craw wrote:
> Buy it as separates and put the thing together yourself. That way you
> get exactly what you want and higher spec stuff for the same price as
> a pre-built machine.

Yep this is always the best option and with the current technology it's easy to do.
Sun 29/06/03 at 10:28
Regular
"I see you"
§niper wrote:
> SR apparently make good quality pc's with good components and if you
> can't really pay for it all straight away you can spread payments over
> 36 months which is 3 years.

By the time you've paid for it though, in 3 years time your pc will be out dated and the Maxx PC's aren't all that great.
Fri 27/06/03 at 18:12
Regular
SR apparently make good quality pc's with good components and if you can't really pay for it all straight away you can spread payments over 36 months which is 3 years.
Fri 27/06/03 at 08:14
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Buy it as separates and put the thing together yourself. That way you get exactly what you want and higher spec stuff for the same price as a pre-built machine.

I *could* give you some URLS... but I like SR so I've said enough.
Thu 26/06/03 at 13:09
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
A private banker. A bit like one of those Swiss bankers...
Thu 26/06/03 at 13:06
Unbeliever wrote:
> I'll probably go for the £1200 one. I hate paying in
> installments so i'll lay it all out in one go...my new job is good for
> that!

What do you work as?
Thu 26/06/03 at 11:06
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Unbeliever wrote:
> Does it run all the normal application with no slowdown? And could it
> run high spec games as well? (e.g. Doom 3, etc)

You'll maybe struggle with Doom 3 with the default GFX card in that thing.
For example...
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/ (space) 20030512/geforce_fx_5900-11.html
Benchmarks on FX 52000 Ultra don't exactly look impressive where Doom 3 is concerned, even that article labels it unplayable. But of course thats pre-production version of Doom 3. :)

You can buy it with higher specs, but SR only provide 3 upgrade options on gfx cards, minimum 200 pound upgrade. But depends what you want really, that spec is more than fine for most current games, but if you want to stay at the top of the market in games playing terms (ie Doom 3), you might find yourself upgrading sooner rather than later.

I hate to say it but maybe SR isn't the greatest value for money around too, but thats a different story. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.