GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New consoles too soon?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/06/03 at 17:25
Regular
I'm still loving my PS2 and am looking at many more gaming years with it, but news suggests the PS3 isnt far off. Now I am a fanboy, the Sony console kicks, but i dont want the new one yet! your thoughts?
Fri 27/06/03 at 13:47
Regular
"MSR Rules"
The problem i see Sony are going to have in the future is lack of exclusives.
The way things stand at the moment the only real exclusive will be Gran Turismo.

The Saturn was killed off partly due to Sony exclusives (and the fact it was badly supported)

The DC was killed off in the same way.

A large quantity of people bought the PS2 because of GTA, GT3 and MGS.

Now all but GT will be cross platform then they haven't much of a strangle hold on exclusives.

On the other hand the XBOX has loads of exclusives, some because the developers cant produce a quality product on the other 2 systems and the others because of Microsofts money.

This is what will make the XBOX a force to be reckoned with.
Fri 27/06/03 at 10:37
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Well playstation has a long history of success, it deafeated Sega Saturn and Dreamcast. It also has fended off and over saled N64, X-Box and Gamecube, so i doubt it has much to worry about, but 2006 is a nice date, not early 2005, thats just to soon!
Thu 26/06/03 at 18:32
"High polygon count"
Personally, I'd welcome a new system every couple of years. I'm not saying I'd *buy* them, but at the rate the technology improves and the prices drop, it'd be nice to have the option. Only if they were backwards-compatible though.

But then, that's never going to happen. Making a console compatible with more than one previous generation would be too costly. It's great that PS2 plays PSone games, but I'm sure it's more of a coincidental design feature than through any deliberate design.

Including the PSone's CPU as PS2's I/O controller was a coup, and Sony would have been daft not to include backwards-compatibility.

Similar, in a way, to the people (mostly Gamecube owners/die-hard Ninty fanboys) are *still* moaning about "I don't want to watch DVDs on my games console". Could you imagine the uproar if Sony had included a DVD drive, but omitted any DVD playback functionality? What you'd have heard then would have been, "Ha! Sony screwed you! They put in a DVD drive but won't let you play DVDs!" and such.

But I digress.

It's highly unlikely, I think, that the next PlayStation 3 (for we all assume that Sony will want to keep the name as it's served them so well) will feature any backwards-compatibility. In fact, I think SOny have already confirmed as much.

Either way, though, I don't expect to see it before mid-2005 at the very, very earliest.

I also predict a turn-around of the current generation's situation. Currently, PS2 was around first (Dreamcast excluded) and the others still can't match it in terms of sales. However, I think that Microsoft will have Xbox2 out first (probably running on a P4 and half as big again! ;-p), but people will be waiting for PS3.
Thu 26/06/03 at 18:02
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Yea cause if you look at the PSone, new games for that are half-assed and not really good at all, I DONT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN TO MY PS2!
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:59
Exactly. I can see plenty of games in the near future that I'll want to buy - Syphon Filter: Omega strain, LMA Manager 2004, Fifa 2004, MGS3:Snake Eater, GT4 and many others. Not to mention plenty of games out now and classics that I ain't got the money for right now.
Theres also loads of PS2's being sold and not to mention the christmas rush! I hope they give it a few years, especially if they want me forking out another £300 - £500 on a brand new console...
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:53
Regular
"Hallelujah"
I know what you mean, cause Syphon Filter: Omega strain and over such games are on my "To buy" list, but i want sequels too dammit!
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:44
The same, had my PS2 since launch and still have many years left to play. Many more games to be released and not forgetting the network adapter, which has only just landed, us PS2 owners are in for a great deal more.
Hopefully, the PS3 is a good few years off yet.
Thu 26/06/03 at 17:25
Regular
"Hallelujah"
I'm still loving my PS2 and am looking at many more gaming years with it, but news suggests the PS3 isnt far off. Now I am a fanboy, the Sony console kicks, but i dont want the new one yet! your thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.