GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New consoles too soon?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/06/03 at 17:25
Regular
I'm still loving my PS2 and am looking at many more gaming years with it, but news suggests the PS3 isnt far off. Now I am a fanboy, the Sony console kicks, but i dont want the new one yet! your thoughts?
Sat 28/06/03 at 16:54
Regular
"Hallelujah"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Well ... it does actually.
> Like grass.
> Or a lime.
> Much greener.
> And less Microsofty

Not if its Bill gates front garden...or fruit bowl!
Fri 27/06/03 at 22:44
"period drama"
Well ... it does actually.
Like grass.
Or a lime.
Much greener.
And less Microsofty
Fri 27/06/03 at 19:47
"I love yo... lamp."
Yeah but the grass is always greener on the other side. That is if you don't have the limited edition Xbox of course. Don't get greener than that.
Fri 27/06/03 at 19:46
"period drama"
Phish.
Speculation leads to your downfall.

What will be, will be. When's it's here, it's here.
While you wait, enjoy some games that actually exist.
Fri 27/06/03 at 15:14
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
If it comes out in Winter 2005 then it's not too soon at all. It'll have had the same life as most other consoles which is the average 5 years though there will probably be games being made for it up until the end of 2006.
Fri 27/06/03 at 14:44
"I love yo... lamp."
I think around Christmas 2005 is when it will be released. I don't want the next round too kick off so soon though. The Xbox 2 will be released around the same time though so as to stay competitive.

I will only have had my Xbox 3 years then!

It takes time for the best to be gotten out of a console, as developers fully push the hardware, compare early PS games to late ones. Although by 2005 the PS2 will be 5 years old. But every bit they put off the release of the PS3 for the better financially. Because it gets a few more sales and a bit more money for Sony.
Fri 27/06/03 at 14:33
Regular
"MSR Rules"
Doom 3
Deus Ex 2
Half Life 2

To name a few.
They might all be out on PC but who can afford to upgrade each time a new game comes out?

True there are more than one exclusive for PS2 but not all of them are as well known as the Big 3.

I doubt many of them will make people buy the console just for one game.

Look at Zelda and Metroid Prime. They pushed the GC sales past everything when they were released.

As it stands the shops in the UK say the sales of the Xbox are not that far behind the PS2. That comes at the time when the PS2 has lots of exclusives. In the future when there are not so many exclusives how well will the PS2/PS3 sell? Time will tell.
Fri 27/06/03 at 14:09
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Popper wrote:
> On the other hand the XBOX has loads of exclusives, some because the
> developers cant produce a quality product on the other 2 systems and
> the others because of Microsofts money.

Yes, that's fine, but Halo and Project Gotham aside, are any of them any good?? Even Halo will be out on the PC soon.
Fri 27/06/03 at 14:07
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
You've only mentioned the mainstream exclusives. The PS2 has far more fantastic games that pass under the noses of the general public...

e.g. (it's all been said before) Ico, Gitaroo Man, Drummania, Ace Combat, Grand Prix Challenge, Devil May Cry....

There's just a lot more variety in general.
Fri 27/06/03 at 13:56
Regular
"Hallelujah"
Dont forget the Final Fantasy series, that was a massive factor when the PSone beat Sega Saturn.

PS2 and PS3 should be weary of the X-box because Microsoft have enough money to throw around to buy titles exclusivly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.