GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola - pay services?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/10/01 at 15:04
Regular
I read with great interest the other thread in this forum, concerning the possible introduction of broadband access at some point in the future.

Presumably, this does not mean that you will be offering broadband connections yourselves, but that you will be developing a way of allowing users access to your services using their existing broadband connection?

As a continuation of this, I was wondering if you are considering adding any 'pay' versions of your services.

I have a domain registered through GetDotted.com, and the site is held on your servers. As I understand it, I must dial up using your connection number at least once every 30 days, or risk losing my website?

As you will probably understand, being an NTL broadband user, this can be a bit of a chore - and should I forget, my site may disappear. It's also a pain having to upload changes to the site using a 56k modem, particularly if you have a lot of files such as pictures.

Hence, I have been looking for other free domain/website hosts on the net recently, with a view to moving my site and removing the need for regular dial-ups.

What I've mostly been after is one which offers unlimited space, the ability to upload via FTP over my existing broadband connection, and no need for banner/popup advertising. I am loathe to move my site away from Freeola anyway, and I have to admit that, so far, I haven't found any that offer the the same quality and range of services as Freeola.

I would much rather have the option of subscribing to a Freeola 'premium' service, paying Freeola a (reasonable) annual fee to be able to upload my site using my existing NTL broadband connection, and the use of other additional services.

Certainly looking around these other providers has made me more aware of what can be offered; the only problem I have is that no-one provides all of them in one place at a one-off affordable price.

What I'd like to see in a premium service is:

1. The aforementioned global FTP access for broadband users.

2. Webmail - the ability to send, read and reply to e-mails at any of my domain addresses using a web-based interface, as well as the standard POP3/SMTP setup. (NTL offer this.)

3. Password-protected directories. The ability to set up logins for trusted third parties so that they may upload files to a specific directory. For example, I have an UltraEdit mirror on my site, and this would allow UltraEdit's creator to update the mirror himself when the software is updated. (This is offered by www.freewebz.com)

4. User control over subdomains - for example to set up 'ultraedit.mind-war.co.uk' to point to the UltraEdit section of my site. (Offered by ukreg.com, but only as forwarding - they don't host sites.)

I don't know if you would be able to make any or all of these changes viable, but they would in my view make you the ultimate free ISP, as you'd offer pretty much everything.
Mon 15/10/01 at 15:52
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
If I can and if the - loose your site if you don't dial up every 30 days - is true then I want to try and transfer my site from Freeola!!
Mon 15/10/01 at 15:40
Regular
"Tag as above"
I too would pay to have an all in one web provider, depending on cost of course.

I would also like to see the control over subdomains and mx records too, and to be able to point my domain at any IP address I like.

Currently my webspace and domain names are spreadout all over the place and its a pain if you want to change anything.

I too would only use a service I can ftp to from any connection.
Mon 15/10/01 at 15:39
"High polygon count"
Yeah, but Freeola get a share of the call cost from the 0845 numbers.

With broadband, I'd rather ditch that and pay an annual fee. They'd get more cash out of me that way, than the one call per month I make to keep my account alive.
Mon 15/10/01 at 15:34
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah this would be good!!

Another thing that I would like is that Freeola dial up!! It costs loads. You should just be able to FTP straight onto it using

CUTEFTP / CUTEFTPPRO / WS_FTP?

IT would be much easier...and cheeeeper. Considering the name is FREEola :-D
Mon 15/10/01 at 15:04
"High polygon count"
I read with great interest the other thread in this forum, concerning the possible introduction of broadband access at some point in the future.

Presumably, this does not mean that you will be offering broadband connections yourselves, but that you will be developing a way of allowing users access to your services using their existing broadband connection?

As a continuation of this, I was wondering if you are considering adding any 'pay' versions of your services.

I have a domain registered through GetDotted.com, and the site is held on your servers. As I understand it, I must dial up using your connection number at least once every 30 days, or risk losing my website?

As you will probably understand, being an NTL broadband user, this can be a bit of a chore - and should I forget, my site may disappear. It's also a pain having to upload changes to the site using a 56k modem, particularly if you have a lot of files such as pictures.

Hence, I have been looking for other free domain/website hosts on the net recently, with a view to moving my site and removing the need for regular dial-ups.

What I've mostly been after is one which offers unlimited space, the ability to upload via FTP over my existing broadband connection, and no need for banner/popup advertising. I am loathe to move my site away from Freeola anyway, and I have to admit that, so far, I haven't found any that offer the the same quality and range of services as Freeola.

I would much rather have the option of subscribing to a Freeola 'premium' service, paying Freeola a (reasonable) annual fee to be able to upload my site using my existing NTL broadband connection, and the use of other additional services.

Certainly looking around these other providers has made me more aware of what can be offered; the only problem I have is that no-one provides all of them in one place at a one-off affordable price.

What I'd like to see in a premium service is:

1. The aforementioned global FTP access for broadband users.

2. Webmail - the ability to send, read and reply to e-mails at any of my domain addresses using a web-based interface, as well as the standard POP3/SMTP setup. (NTL offer this.)

3. Password-protected directories. The ability to set up logins for trusted third parties so that they may upload files to a specific directory. For example, I have an UltraEdit mirror on my site, and this would allow UltraEdit's creator to update the mirror himself when the software is updated. (This is offered by www.freewebz.com)

4. User control over subdomains - for example to set up 'ultraedit.mind-war.co.uk' to point to the UltraEdit section of my site. (Offered by ukreg.com, but only as forwarding - they don't host sites.)

I don't know if you would be able to make any or all of these changes viable, but they would in my view make you the ultimate free ISP, as you'd offer pretty much everything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.