GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola - pay services?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/10/01 at 15:04
Regular
I read with great interest the other thread in this forum, concerning the possible introduction of broadband access at some point in the future.

Presumably, this does not mean that you will be offering broadband connections yourselves, but that you will be developing a way of allowing users access to your services using their existing broadband connection?

As a continuation of this, I was wondering if you are considering adding any 'pay' versions of your services.

I have a domain registered through GetDotted.com, and the site is held on your servers. As I understand it, I must dial up using your connection number at least once every 30 days, or risk losing my website?

As you will probably understand, being an NTL broadband user, this can be a bit of a chore - and should I forget, my site may disappear. It's also a pain having to upload changes to the site using a 56k modem, particularly if you have a lot of files such as pictures.

Hence, I have been looking for other free domain/website hosts on the net recently, with a view to moving my site and removing the need for regular dial-ups.

What I've mostly been after is one which offers unlimited space, the ability to upload via FTP over my existing broadband connection, and no need for banner/popup advertising. I am loathe to move my site away from Freeola anyway, and I have to admit that, so far, I haven't found any that offer the the same quality and range of services as Freeola.

I would much rather have the option of subscribing to a Freeola 'premium' service, paying Freeola a (reasonable) annual fee to be able to upload my site using my existing NTL broadband connection, and the use of other additional services.

Certainly looking around these other providers has made me more aware of what can be offered; the only problem I have is that no-one provides all of them in one place at a one-off affordable price.

What I'd like to see in a premium service is:

1. The aforementioned global FTP access for broadband users.

2. Webmail - the ability to send, read and reply to e-mails at any of my domain addresses using a web-based interface, as well as the standard POP3/SMTP setup. (NTL offer this.)

3. Password-protected directories. The ability to set up logins for trusted third parties so that they may upload files to a specific directory. For example, I have an UltraEdit mirror on my site, and this would allow UltraEdit's creator to update the mirror himself when the software is updated. (This is offered by www.freewebz.com)

4. User control over subdomains - for example to set up 'ultraedit.mind-war.co.uk' to point to the UltraEdit section of my site. (Offered by ukreg.com, but only as forwarding - they don't host sites.)

I don't know if you would be able to make any or all of these changes viable, but they would in my view make you the ultimate free ISP, as you'd offer pretty much everything.
Wed 17/10/01 at 21:59
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Andrew said that it's only Freeola-Domains that have the 30-day limit. People who bought their own Domain don't have the threat of loosing the account for in-activity.
Wed 17/10/01 at 19:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
cjh wrote:
> Oh thats right, sorry, I think thay ask you to just login to your Account .. via
> Control Panal, or even this, just to show that your still using the account.

Hmm, maybe. I do check my Freeola E-mails every day.
Wed 17/10/01 at 14:45
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I like the 0800 idea, hope it pans out...

... then you could have an extra comp, win free access to the net through Freeola for a day, or week, or something :o)

Getting a little to far ahead there, but hope the Monthly thing happenes.
Wed 17/10/01 at 14:45
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I like the 0800 idea, hope it pans out...

... then you could have an extra comp, win free access to the net through Freeola for a day, or week, or something :o)

Getting a little to far ahead there, but hope the Monthly thing happened.
Tue 16/10/01 at 16:27
Regular
OK a few quick points:

We are looking into providing broadband ADSL to our customers. This will be resold via another company but using the freeola services in some way.

We are also looking into both 0800 access and a paid service instead of the 0845 number. These are both in the future and are not definate yet.
Tue 16/10/01 at 10:58
"High polygon count"
cjh wrote:
> Oh thats right, sorry, I think thay ask you to just login to your Account .. via
> Control Panal, or even this, just to show that your still using the account.

Turbonutter wrote:
> You don't have to dial up to Freeola every 30 days, I haven't dialed up to
> Freeola in a year and http://www.imagics.co.uk/ is still there.

Can anyone from SR confirm this either way?

Also, does anyone from SR have any comment/information about the other points raised?

TIA
Mon 15/10/01 at 20:45
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Oh thats right, sorry, I think thay ask you to just login to your Account .. via Control Panal, or even this, just to show that your still using the account.
Mon 15/10/01 at 19:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You don't have to dial up to Freeola every 30 days, I haven't dialed up to Freeola in a year and http://www.imagics.co.uk/ is still there.
Mon 15/10/01 at 19:24
I would like a pay montly unlimited acess server because I just like the freeola service but I hate the call charges
Mon 15/10/01 at 19:08
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'd like to see an SSL Service added, so we can have secure connections, plus mySQL would be handy anytime soon.

Though to be fair, it's not worth changing to a differnet Web Host, becasue of 3p a Month ... is it???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.