GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance *yawns*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance'.
Mon 30/06/03 at 20:44
Regular
Got this with my Xbox when I bought it, for some reason I haven't touched it until today.

All I can say is muhhhhhhhhhh.

Maybe I should have played through it before I started on Splinter Cell, that way it wouldn't look so pathetic. I tried to like it but it's just so damn sucky.

So, anyone want to swap it with me?
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:01
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Exactly, and in gameplay the PS2 version apparently has the edge.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:03
Regular
Erm thats funny seeing as its the same game apart from a crummy Skateboarding section.

I think I will take a great audio experience rather than a side issue. Apart from that the Xbox version of Substance has all the VR missions, the original Son's of Liberty and the Snakes Tales which makes up whats on the PS2 version.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:04
Regular
Oh and like I said earlier I haven't ran into any frame rate issues even whilst on the Tanker at the beginning. If I had I would comment on them.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:09
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Memorandum wrote:
> Exactly, and in gameplay the PS2 version **apparently** has the edge.

I'm just commenting on the whole argument, and trying to put things in perspective. After all I did call the framerate issues minor, since I haven't actually played the Xbox version so can't really comment.

I'm basically trying to say you're making too big a deal over the audio, as usual.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:10
Regular
If I enjoy it so much tne why is it a big deal?

Like you said you haven't even played the Xbox version so that means you haven't heard the Dolby Digital soundtrack of the Xbox version...

Enough said.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:11
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I've played other XBox games in Dolby Digital.
It's not as mind-blowingly arousing as you make out.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:12
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Erm thats funny seeing as its the same game apart from a crummy
> Skateboarding section.

Crummy because it's not on the Xbox version, you mean.

> I think I will take a great audio experience rather than a side issue.
> Apart from that the Xbox version of Substance has all the VR missions,
> the original Son's of Liberty and the Snakes Tales which makes up
> whats on the PS2 version.

I don't see your point. A great audio experience is an aspect of Metal Gear Solid as a game; not what speakers you play it through. They have not recoded it so it will support 5.1 on Xbox, so if you link up another of these sound systems to the PlayStation 2 whilst playing you can be on the receiving end of something equally as good.

The PS2 version also have the VR missions, Son's of Liberty and Snake's Tales. What are you saying? You also, in the whole heat of this, seem to be forgetting that people don't want to dish out £200 or so for this setup as easily as you might.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:12
Regular
To me it is so put up and shut up.

:)
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:18
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Crummy because it's not on the Xbox version, you mean.

Crummy because its a load of balls. Played it in game and it plays just like the shocking Evolution Skateboarding.

Strange don't you think?

> I don't see your point. A great audio experience is an aspect of Metal
> Gear Solid as a game; not what speakers you play it through.

But the fact that you get full speaker to speaker transfer is a big deal to me. I didn't pay in excess of £250 just for a set of speakers which emit the same old sounds.

>They have not recoded it so it will support 5.1 on Xbox, so if you link up
>another of these sound systems to the PlayStation 2 whilst playing you >can be on the receiving end of something equally as good.

But its not in Dolby Digital so what are you getting at? Its the same sounds coming out of 4 speakers which is nothing special.

The audio is MGS2 has to be some of the best out in the games industry and when coupled with Dolby Digital the experience is enhanced even further. Oh and before you say it no a load of speakers emitting the same audio is nothing to rave about.

> The PS2 version also have the VR missions, Son's of Liberty and
> Snake's Tales. What are you saying? You also, in the whole heat of
> this, seem to be forgetting that people don't want to dish out
> £200 or so for this setup as easily as you might.

Again, whats your point? If you want to stick with the argument that the speakers arn't anything special then you do so. At the same time I will say they are fantastic because unlike some people I only choose to make a proper comment after I have experienced it myself.

Oh and the bit about the extras was for Memorandum because he seemed to think that the gameplay was different.
Wed 02/07/03 at 23:19
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> To me it is so put up and shut up.

Alright. Fair enough. This is getting to the point of being ridiculously petty.

But you started it :).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.