GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"360 Elite - Not for Gamers?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 29/03/07 at 04:29
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
The 360 Elite has been announced - basically as far as I can work out it's the same as the Premium XBox 360 but with a 120Gb HDD and includes an HDMI cable.

"Today's games and entertainment enthusiast has a insatiable appetite for digital high-definition content," commented Peter Moore, corporate vice president for Microsoft Xbox.

I can understand the reason for the 120Gb HDD, because all that high definition media takes up storage space. But as a gaming enthusiast, and not an entertainment enthusiast, I have no earthly reason to have an 'insatiable appetite for digital high-definition content' and am quite happy with my current 1Mb or so game saves here and there on my current 360 20Gb HDD.

Not being the owner of an HDTV, and I suspect I'm not the only one, there is no earthly reason for me to download game trailers, TV shows, music videos and movies in HD format. To be brutally honest with my eyesight I doubt I could tell the difference anyway.

So is the 360 Elite the new PSX? (For those with short memories the PSX was Sony's similar effort to make the PlayStation the central hub in the living room for all entertainment, it was basically a PS2 souped up with its own media centre and came in 160Gb or 250Gb HDD versions, and it sold so well Japan that Sony never bothered trying to sell it anywhere else).

Did Sony put all their eggs in High Definition before gamers were ready for it and is this a kneejerk reaction by Microsoft to bring out something similar, even though gamers still aren't ready for it?

Or is it just me that's not ready for HD, doesn't care about HD, just wants decent games to play on a decent games machine and is starting to think that Nintendo were the only ones with the right vision this generation?

It just baffles me why two of the biggest console game names in the industry are trying to morph what were already great games machines from last generation into something that they're not. It strikes me that HD buffs are going to opt for standalone top-of-the-line HD players (whether that be Blu-ray or HD-DVD), and games buffs are trying to opt for standalone top-of-the-line games machines but our choice is looking to become more and more limited with each passing year.

5 years from now I might be looking forward to a new Tamagotchi keyring.
Tue 21/08/07 at 04:27
Regular
gunnerkid4 wrote:
> what the $#!7 is psx

An HDD-DVD recorder that also plays PS2 and PSOne games.
Mon 20/08/07 at 19:54
Regular
"eeast weeeeeeeeeezy"
what the $#!7 is psx
Fri 30/03/07 at 08:57
Regular
Alfonse wrote:
> Erm what? PSX is PS1.

The original PlayStation was commonly referred to by gamers as the PSX because internally at Sony it was known as the 'PlayStation Experimental' after Nintendo halted the joint Sony/Nintendo CDRom/SNES hybrid and Sony decided to continue development of the unit as a standalone games console for Sony to sell. When it was launched, it was called the 'PlayStation', the PSX or PS1 monicker given to it by gamers just stuck.

This is a Sony PSX.
Fri 30/03/07 at 07:12
Regular
Erm what? PSX is PS1.
Thu 29/03/07 at 23:17
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I'll tell you when i go over :-D
Thu 29/03/07 at 23:16
Regular
"8==="
Whatever, I expect there's an equal Chinese version that's just as good but cheaper to boot.
Thu 29/03/07 at 18:41
Regular
http://www.plasma-screen.co.uk/

As I said, you get what you pay for.
Thu 29/03/07 at 17:11
Regular
"8==="
Must do otherwise people would be buying the identical chinese HD stuff over the more expensive Japanese HD Stuff.

I wonder how expensive the Korean stuff is.... :D
Thu 29/03/07 at 17:01
Regular
Got nothing to do with brand names....
Thu 29/03/07 at 16:54
Regular
"8==="
and paying extra for certain brand names doesn't factor into it at all. ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.