GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"overclocking........"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/07/03 at 13:36
Regular
i wanna over-clock a few things, but so far i am only aware of a few things.

i want info on what kind of temperature my CPU is perfectly OK at. atm my CPU is running at 50 C. and it's a hot day. so, what kind fo temperature would create a compromise between speed and lifetime?

also, the voltages on CPU, DRAM and AGP are as follows:

CPU mhz: 1729.00Mhz

CPU: 1.596
DRAM: 2.5
AGP: 1.5

The APCI, DRAM and AGP clock, frequnecy or SOMETHING are as follows:

DRAM: 266
AGP: 66
PCI: 33

OK, you overclocking techie's - you should know what i'm on about, so help me please....

note: the tool i'm using is Gigabyte Easytune 4.
Sun 27/07/03 at 00:28
Regular
"programmers rule!"
2 things
1: going back to the original question just install easytune. you want to keep your temperature below 60degrees for stability. you cud just buy an AMD 3200+ fan that'll keed it cool. once youve stuck easytune in you wanna raise your speed to about 2000 you dont need NE more than that. if your complaning because your games are running slow then it wont be your CPU it'll be your graphics wot graphics do you have?

2: AMD_MAN is right your ram and CPU run off 2 complettly different BUS's
Sun 20/07/03 at 22:50
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
UrkiE-UK wrote:
> i hear you talk about syncing CPU and RAM - How?
>
> and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Well CPUs have different buses. New XP3000 and above have 400mhz. Then ones below that have 333mhz and the real old ones have 266mhz. So depending on what processor you have then you should get either PC2100(266mhz), PC2700(33mhz) and PC3200(400mhz). And then thats running in sync.

Try searching on the net for some articles or forum discussions about this issue, havent got any links on hand.
Sun 20/07/03 at 02:21
Corsairs are a must as the Samsung RAM I'm using isn't that stable in my computer.

About synching; apparently it runs faster, but there's two conflicting views here (see below).
Sat 19/07/03 at 18:46
Regular
i hear you talk about syncing CPU and RAM - How?

and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
Sat 19/07/03 at 10:45
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Years ago, you used to be able to change the clocking rate manually if it was going crazy, but with faster, more powerful PCs that became obsolete. Or, if you can't be arsed with reading this rubbish, buy a few pins of RAM cheap at a Computer fair.
Sat 19/07/03 at 09:39
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
If you just want something cheap, find whatever generic RAM you can, but you're always gambling as to what sort of chips you'lll actually get. The best price/performance IMO is from TwinMOS ram with WinBond chips, cheap and a very good overclocker - admittedly not quite to the standard of Corsair, but it's a damn sight cheaper and will still cope with much higher FSBs than it's rated for.
Sat 19/07/03 at 02:59
Oh by the way I'm not trying to cause conflict here, just want to know the best and cheapest RAM I should buy for my computer.
Sat 19/07/03 at 02:58
Do you have any links to these forums, adrian?
Fri 18/07/03 at 22:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Ive not found that personally.

Its probably not noticeable in normal useage but if you do benchmarks then you may notice it. Maybe see if you can dig up any research on the internet or do some testing yourself with different benchmarking programs.
Fri 18/07/03 at 19:31
Regular
Ive not found that personally.

Colin

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.