GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which game?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/10/01 at 11:13
Regular
I won GAD the other day, and I want to get a PS2 game.

I already have GT3 and XG3.

I don't want a game that has huge levels that take half an hour each, I want a game that I can just pick up and play for 5 mins at a time or whatever.

I was thinking maybe SSX or hang on for GTA 3.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers.
Sun 07/10/01 at 11:13
Regular
I won GAD the other day, and I want to get a PS2 game.

I already have GT3 and XG3.

I don't want a game that has huge levels that take half an hour each, I want a game that I can just pick up and play for 5 mins at a time or whatever.

I was thinking maybe SSX or hang on for GTA 3.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers.
Sun 07/10/01 at 11:31
I got Dave Mirra's BMX 2 the other day, and it is quite good. It has a few annoying glitches, but is certainly a game you can pick up and play straight away for five minutes a time.
Sun 07/10/01 at 11:36
Regular
"Whatever!"
I have the same problem - Dont know which game to claim!!

Im thinking of getting either Spy Hunter or Burnout - What do you think??
Sun 07/10/01 at 11:39
Mattyboy wrote:
> I have the same problem - Dont know which game to claim!!

Im thinking of
> getting either Spy Hunter or Burnout - What do you think??

Burnout definately.
Sun 07/10/01 at 12:25
Regular
I played a demo of SpHunter on the cover DVD of Official Mag, and I wasn't too impressed with it to be honest.

At the moment, it's looking like GTA 3, but I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a while before I decide....
Sun 07/10/01 at 12:32
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I choose GTA3D! Looks great!
Sun 07/10/01 at 12:59
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> I won GAD the other day, and I want to get a PS2 game.

Well done on the win! Good stuff.

> I already have GT3 and XG3.

I assume you don`t want another racing game then.

>I don't want a game that has huge levels that take half an hour each,

In that case, avoid Fur Fighters. The levels take ages. However, it is possible to save midway.

> I want a game that I can just pick up and play for 5 mins
> at a time or whatever.

I`m guessing you already have Crazy Taxi for the DC, so there`s no point in going for that. Perhaps Star Wars Starfighter if you like that kind of thing, or even Onimusha. Again, Onimusha is a long thing, but its pausible quite regularly when you reach save points.

>I was thinking maybe SSX or hang on for GTA 3.

Dunno much about GTA3 yet, but SSX is certianly superb! I`d hang on for the sequel though really. Tricky is due out at the end of November.

>Any other suggestions?

If you`re willing to wait a while, then the best candidates are Devil May Cry, SSX Tricky, Jak and Daxter.

Ones that I`m not so keen on but will still be excellent are Tony Hawk`s 3 and WWF3 (if you like theatre studies, go for that).

There is also Herdy Gerdy that I claimed a while back. It looks like a slightly young game really, in that it has cartoony graphics, but its puzzle element is supposed to be a challenge. I chose it because its the kind of game you can just sit down and play when you`ve just got back at 02:00 in the morning. It seems like a placid sort of recovery style experience.

Anyway, my most highly recommended, given your choice of games so far would have to be Devil May Cry, as its the largest departure in terms of game genre, whilst also maintainind GT3 quality visuals.
Sun 07/10/01 at 13:00
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Smackdown 3 will last you ages.If you dont like wrestling pick SSX Tricky or GTA3
Sun 07/10/01 at 13:16
Regular
Hmmm, cheers ssxpro, you've certainly given me a bit to think about.

Tony Hawks 3 is certainly an option. What sort of game is Devil May Cry? IS HErdy Gerdy out yet, and what sort of game is it, exactly? A puzzler I assume.
Sun 07/10/01 at 13:23
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
>Tony Hawks 3 is certainly an option.

As it is for many people. Supposedly extremely playable, and a finely tuned version of THPS2. It`ll be superior in almost every way.

> What sort of game is Devil May Cry?

Its a little like Metal Gear Solid 2, but with absolutely no stealth element. Its the same kinda view, but you go in all guns and swords blazing (literally). The gameplay is superb, as you can switch between the guns and swords in a flash, seamlessly moving from one attack pattern to another. The game seems littered with power ups to improve your skills, learn no moves, enhance your attacks etc... There seems to be the option to become the devil when you use a special power as well. This allows you to fly, and perform all sorts of amazing attacks. There are bosses and puzzles throughout, with loads of mean minion bad guys to dispatch along the way - its typical Capcom style stuff.

> Is Herdy Gerdy out yet, and what sort of game is it, exactly? A puzzler I assume.

I think it might be out for PC already, but for PS2 it should be out later this month, or possibly next month. I don`t know an amazing amount about it other than it`ll involve a certain amount of herding, puzzle solving and general exploration. It does look very lovely, in a cartoony way. Ever seen Roger Rabbit? Its a bit like the part of the movie where they enter toon town, except a little less wacky.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.