GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lappy Battery issue"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/05/10 at 20:13
Regular
Hi,

I've noticed that my lappy battery has started to drain and charge...while its plugged in.

The battery shouldn't be draining on mains power, should it?!

Anyone any idea what's going on?

Neil
Wed 05/05/10 at 17:31
Regular
I followed Eccles advise.

The lappy died and took the external power supply with it. There is no power going to the laptop at all. The fuse in the plug is intact.

So now I have a critical situation, as I can't even charge the dead battery.

I don't know what to try next (I am on a borrowed system).

Do I order a new external PSU? Has the power circuit in the laptop died? I don't know. When I press the power button, I get three short flashes on the HP charging LED.

N.
Wed 05/05/10 at 12:51
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
You can always try to 'refresh' the battery. To do this you will need to enter the BIOS while on battery, you can usually do this by pressing one of the F keys (F2) or the Delete key on POST (it should say on screen what to press to enter setup). Some laptop BIOS's even have a mode built in to do a battery refresh. If yours doesn't then once you are on the BIOS screen leave the laptop to discharge completely and then charge it up fully again and that may give it a bit more life.
Wed 05/05/10 at 11:47
Regular
Thanks for your replies.

As for movement causing disconnects, I'm not sure, as the lappy is absolutely still. I use an external keyboard for text input.

N.
Wed 05/05/10 at 09:55
Regular
Hi had this issue with a battery and when charging it would only ever get to 80% I changed the battery for a new one and all was well again, apparently they fur up etc after time and are not as efficient as they should be.

Digi
Tue 04/05/10 at 22:07
Regular
"YTS Primate"
I’ve seen this quite a few times.

The two most likely reasons are these which you can test with careful manipulation of the lead and socket.

A) The lead on your charger has a break and slight movement causes it to make and break. You can test it by watching the battery/charging icon down by the clock while flexing the lead. If you can borrow another charger even better.

B) The centre pin on the power socket on the laptop where it is soldered to the circuit board has broken and again makes and breaks the connection with movement. You can buy a new socket but it’s a big job to change and takes some time and skill.

Hope it’s the charger.
Tue 04/05/10 at 21:48
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Neilj99 wrote:

> I've noticed that my lappy battery has started to drain and
> charge...while its plugged in.
>
> The battery shouldn't be draining on mains power, should it?!
>
> Anyone any idea what's going on?

I seem to remember reading about laptop batteries when one of my sons bought one. The bottom line is.....don't run them on mains at all times.........quote............

"Do not keep your laptop battery installed when you use your laptop on AC for an extended period of time.

While your laptop is undoubtedly using a smart charger to charge your battery even a constant trickle charge over months can reduce your battery life. For best results, only charge your battery when you need to charge it, don't leave the laptop battery plugged in all the time."

and...........quote...........

"Keeping a laptop battery on constant charge and never using it is not good for the laptop battery. Run the battery down and recharging it at least once every month."

This is probably the cause, the solution....probably a new battery...:-(
Tue 04/05/10 at 20:13
Regular
Hi,

I've noticed that my lappy battery has started to drain and charge...while its plugged in.

The battery shouldn't be draining on mains power, should it?!

Anyone any idea what's going on?

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.