GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lappy Battery issue"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/05/10 at 20:13
Regular
Hi,

I've noticed that my lappy battery has started to drain and charge...while its plugged in.

The battery shouldn't be draining on mains power, should it?!

Anyone any idea what's going on?

Neil
Fri 07/05/10 at 13:50
Regular
Footnote:

The replacement PSU arrived today.

Everything is working A1.

N.
Wed 05/05/10 at 23:25
Regular
Good point. I forgot about that but here's hoping I don't have to go down that route.

N.

EDIT: The PSU has been tested and it is the transformer block which has blown.
Wed 05/05/10 at 23:03
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
If the new PSU doesn't fix the issue and the laptop won't power on with the battery removed the take the machine back to where you bought it. A laptop should work for longer than 2 years and could be considered not 'fit for purpose' if it breaks within a sensible amount of time.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) says that goods should be as follows:

* Of satisfactory quality.

This means the goods must meet the standards that any reasonable person would expect, taking into account the description, the price and all other relevant information. In some circumstances, the retailer may be liable for any statement made by the manufacturer about the goods.

Satisfactory quality includes the appearance and finish of the goods, their safety and durability and whether they are free from defects (including minor faults)

* Fit for the purpose

that goods of this type are generally sold. They must also be fit for any specific or particular purpose made known to the seller at the time of the agreement.

And

"I purchased goods over a year ago and the guarantee has now expired. The trader has advised me that he does not have any responsibility for the goods. Is he right?"
No! Guarantees are extra to your legal rights. If you can show that the goods were not of satisfactory quality at the time of sale i.e. they were not as durable as it is reasonable to expect, then you may have a claim against the trader or finance company (if applicable) for compensation.

So don't opt to pay for repair straight away as if you discuss the problem with the retailer who you bought the laptop from as they should fix a motherboard or power control board problem. The psu and battery aren't covered by this as they are peripherals and are considered to have a shorter lifespan.
Just some info for you and not legal advice!
Wed 05/05/10 at 22:40
Regular
It's an HP DV9689EA - about 2 years+.

N.
Wed 05/05/10 at 22:19
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
No problem. It is a little strange/unfortunate that a fully discharged battery should cause the psu to fail. It is possible that having a completely flat battery meant a higher load on the psu, which was due to fail.

What's the make and model of the laptop and how old is it?
Wed 05/05/10 at 21:14
Regular
I've ordered a replacement PSU adapter. If that doesn't work, then I've got an expensive out-of-warranty repair on my hands I think.

N.

P.S. It was at the point I was going to recharge the dead battery after letting it drain, where it all failed.

P.P.S. @Eccles - There is no blame - You offered advice, I took it, one of those unfortunate things.
Wed 05/05/10 at 18:40
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Neilj99 wrote:
> I followed Eccles advise.

I don't think you did follow my advise then as I said to run the laptop on battery, i.e without the mains power plugged in. If you'd done that then there would be no way any fault with the laptop could take the power supply with it.
But on a positive note it does suggest that you had a faulty power supply so I would try a new one. If that still doesn't work then the fault is with the charging circuitry in the laptop and depending on the laptop this is either a separate board that can be swapped out or will require a complete motherboard swap.
Wed 05/05/10 at 18:30
"Are you sure?"
Neilj99 wrote:
> It is the transformer that is dead by the look of it.

That's what I would test with a cheap and cheerful multimeter...

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 05/05/10 at 18:15
Regular
I have tested in a new wall socket, and also the 'kettle lead' from this borrowed system (which is the other part of the 'not-to-be' intranet). Everything is dead. It is the transformer that is dead by the look of it.

N.
Wed 05/05/10 at 17:49
"Are you sure?"
Neilj99 wrote:
> Do I order a new external PSU?

I would test the output first - have you a multimeter?
Only a few pounds these days and worth having.

Neilj99 wrote:
> So now I have a critical situation

I thought you would have more than the one PC! :¬)
You've recently mentioned needing an intranet so another PC can't be far away!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.