GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Table Sizes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/10/01 at 19:52
Regular
I am about to overhaul my web site.

I am now beginning to grips with HTML and the use of tables for layout.
When setting the sizes of the tables is it best to use pixels or percent. I know if I use percent the web page will re-size itself to whatever the visitor is using on their computer.
However the problem with this is that the page design will not necessarily be how I want them to view it.

If I use pixel size I would have to set a screen size. The most popular screen size of visitors to my web site is 800 x 600 (I know this by the counter I have on the home page). However I do have quite a few visitors who use other screen sizes.
Would it be an injustice and insult to all the other visitors who use a different screen size to set my web site to fit an 800 x 600 resolution?

I want my site to be as compatible as possible.

Has anyone got any ideas about which option I should take or maybe some design tips about using tables.
Sat 06/10/01 at 00:22
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I'd say, if your using a Table to put in an Image, use Pixle size, so you can be sure it won't be bigger than the image and make your page look messy, with Text, probably best to go with the percentage, luckly you can use both in tables at once, with each cell :o).
Fri 05/10/01 at 21:50
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
When I make web sites, I usually make the table width about 720 pixels. I use this because as you said, 800x600 is the most used resolution and this table fits nicely into the screen. It also looks good for people running 1024x768. The only other main resolution that people use is 640x480 but this is becoming rare because not many monitors are around that have a maximum resolution of 640x480.

If you decided to accomodate your web page so users of 640x480 could see all of the page, you would probably have problems fitting the content in. The best advice I can give you is to try both and see what you think. But I would recommend the table width being about 720.

Hope this helps.
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:59
Regular
I would probably go for percentage, so that the website adapts to what the viewer sees....

Some content will alter slightly but not dramatically...

----

Tips on Tables:

Table border - the outer border of your table, which you can vary in size.

TD - or Table Data is the individual cells within the table.

Tr - or Table Row is one row of your table. When you close it with , it will break to another row.

Cellspacing is the distance between the cells and Cellpadding is the size or inner padding of the cells.

You can put anything within the cells of the table, links, graphics, anything you want. Be sure to close all tags, such as .

You can also add color to your TABLE borders by adding
BORDERCOLOR="#336699" within your TABLE tag.

----

Hope this helps you

Dav1d
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:52
Regular
"It's Only Me"
I am about to overhaul my web site.

I am now beginning to grips with HTML and the use of tables for layout.
When setting the sizes of the tables is it best to use pixels or percent. I know if I use percent the web page will re-size itself to whatever the visitor is using on their computer.
However the problem with this is that the page design will not necessarily be how I want them to view it.

If I use pixel size I would have to set a screen size. The most popular screen size of visitors to my web site is 800 x 600 (I know this by the counter I have on the home page). However I do have quite a few visitors who use other screen sizes.
Would it be an injustice and insult to all the other visitors who use a different screen size to set my web site to fit an 800 x 600 resolution?

I want my site to be as compatible as possible.

Has anyone got any ideas about which option I should take or maybe some design tips about using tables.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.