GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Great Scott!!! Its all about the fear!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/10/01 at 18:40
Regular
A flash of random inspiration just dawned on me.
All these crazy console wars that keep on happening, its all about the fear!!!

Up until now, I always thought that it was people such as crazy PS2 extremist Turbonutter (no offense) taking part in these wars. Actually believing their chosen console to be better and thus attacking the others for being inferior.
But its not, its people fearing their choice may have not been the "right" one.

Lets first of all look at the Ninty's amongst us. These people while enjoying all the hype and lovely pictures that Nintendo have released for them, only have to cast their minds back as far as the N64 to know that Nintendo can come unstuck. The N64 was good, there's no doubting that. However, it was beaten by a machine with half its power. It was good, but was it good enough? I held onto my dear Nintendo for a long time (who wouldn't after the SNES?) but eventually I had to accept that their N64 console just didn't deliver.
So there is alot of fear brewing in the Nintendo faithful that the new machine might also be sub-standard. I'm not sure how many would admit the to the fear, but i'll bet they know its there.

Then we have thoes behind the PS2. When the PS2 was still in hiding, there was nothing it couldn't do. Sony had created a beast that was going to rock the world. Why wouldn't we believe, afterall their debut console took on mighty giants; Sega and Nintendo and won.
However, after what most would admit was a fairly appauling launch, the Sonyphiles were a little less sure about their machine. Again, there are only a handful who would stand up and say it, much like the handful that dare admit the N64 was not all they'd hoped for.
Again we have fear brewing, if Sony isn't this all consuming unstoppable force then, they might get trounced by the opposition.

Then we have the X-Box. Yes Bill Gates's Microsoft have pretty much conquered the PC world, but they have never ventured into the console world before and as powerful as the machine looks will it really be able to take on; giant killers Sony? and with well experienced Nintendo set to make a seemingly amazing comeback, will the Microsoft machine really have what it takes?
To make matters worse there seems to be little backing from Japan, who pretty much comtrol the console market.
Fear. Brewing from the what may prove to be the Goliath of the next gen consoles, but with more to contend with than David.

As you can see, its not the blind faith people have in the superiority of their chosen console, but the fear that they've made the wrong decision. Almost an unwillingness to accept what might be. All except of course Turbonutter who does seem to have an over whelming faith in Sony to succeed, for this I respect him!

Hmm... perhaps this would be more at home in an ametuer psychology forum? How 'bout it Tony?
Fri 05/10/01 at 20:09
Mind you, with all these newbies coming along, the camps are geting a bit crowded. I therefore suggest moving to a multi-storey caravan.
Fri 05/10/01 at 19:50
Aye Jim lad!
Hence my departure from camp Nintendo and initiation into camp Sony.

But I have a job interview in just over an hour and if I get the job - I just might have to rejoin the Nintendo camp aswell! Perhaps they do a night class or something.
Fri 05/10/01 at 15:46
Regular
I am the Tarrant wrote:
> I used it all the time! Multi-player was great fun.

But at the end of the
> day, there were 5 games worth owning,

Zelda 1 & 2, Goldeneye and Perfect
> dark - that are a tad too similar and Super smash brothers which, while a good
> multi player didn't have emmense lastability, it just got a tad
> repetetive.

There are some other "alright" games but 5 truly decent
> titles just isn't enough in the years the i owned it

There were a fwe more than that but I see your point.

The Playstation had a much wider variety of single player titles which let Nintendo down a bit.
Fri 05/10/01 at 15:35
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Strafex wrote:
> The N64 was what I hopped for, but I didn't buy it from hype and only got one
> for £120 with Goldeneye and 4 pads.

That was worth the money
> alone.

Perfect Dark, Zelda, Smash Brothers and many others added to
> this.

Then again, many of my favourite games are mostly enjoyed through
> multiplayer.

If some one didn't use the N64 for multiplayer very much then
> they might be disappointed.

Yeah Multiplayer gives some of the best fun!! BUT one player is fun but addictive and hard to put down even if it is a fairly crap game! But some of the best games are based on multiplayer options aren't they?
Fri 05/10/01 at 15:24
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
and now excite bike 64 is such a kickass game
Fri 05/10/01 at 15:22
I used it all the time! Multi-player was great fun.

But at the end of the day, there were 5 games worth owning,

Zelda 1 & 2, Goldeneye and Perfect dark - that are a tad too similar and Super smash brothers which, while a good multi player didn't have emmense lastability, it just got a tad repetetive.

There are some other "alright" games but 5 truly decent titles just isn't enough in the years the i owned it
Fri 05/10/01 at 13:22
Regular
The N64 was what I hopped for, but I didn't buy it from hype and only got one for £120 with Goldeneye and 4 pads.

That was worth the money alone.

Perfect Dark, Zelda, Smash Brothers and many others added to this.

Then again, many of my favourite games are mostly enjoyed through multiplayer.

If some one didn't use the N64 for multiplayer very much then they might be disappointed.
Fri 05/10/01 at 12:21
Nice, you've understood it perfectly!
I wouldn't have tried to make you read it if it was pants.

Personally, I'm ready to admit having felt the fear at one time or another. I especially felt it with my N64, I tried to argue its case all the time, when in actual fact I was aware that it wasn't all that I'd hoped for.
Fri 05/10/01 at 00:15
Regular
Actually its a pretty good topic mate!

I agree with you that some people are unceratin about the console they have chosen and have spent good, well earned money on......

I think its due to the fact that the gaming industry at the moment is on a high, with 3 new consoles out in 1 year, with most people not really sure what to expect.

"Do I buy the PS2 now, and then the x-box whn it comes out?"

"Do I buy the Gamecube or the x-box?"

"If I buy the gamecube, will I be missing out on the top titles that Microsoft will offer?"

All these questions are going through buyers minds at the moment, which I believe is creating confusion.

This has a knock on effect with people wondering whether they have bought the right/best console.

Of course they are going to back the console if they have it, because they dont want to seem although they have wasted their money.....

But do these people no the real truth underneath, and are just not showing it?
Fri 05/10/01 at 00:07
Regular
I feel pressurised into reading your topic now!

Must resist the force!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.