GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which one will it be?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/07/03 at 00:03
Regular
Right guys and girls i really need some help here, this Saturday i will be ordering my components for my new pc and at the moment i've decided on getting a Radeon 9800 Pro but (yes there is a but), should i actually get this card or a GeForce FX5900 Ultra?

I would actually like to hear your opions but i would only like to hear, actual experiences or proven facts about each of the cards and which one i should decide on getting. You have been set your challenge, good luck.
Tue 29/07/03 at 21:09
Regular
"I see you"
Cheers for all your help guys, but i've made my choice and it will be the Radeon 9800 Pro, as my mate has just got and looks as sweet as.
Tue 29/07/03 at 17:57
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yep, that definately wont be an ultra, and out of those 2 I'd go for the 9800pro - but still, check benchmarks for an in depth comparison of the 2. ATis are known for better image quality, but there's no hiding the fact that on pure FPS with all graphical loveliness on max (FSAA and AF along with detail options), the 5900 ultra has the edge.
Tue 29/07/03 at 17:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Silent Assassin wrote:
> 128Mb GeForce FX5900 (don't know if it's Ultra though), if you pay by
> switch it's £279.00 pay with visa and it's £285.73

Dont think it is as I am sure that FX5900 Ultras are £350 for a 128mb version. Also look at the make of card your getting to see what its actually like, as some makes arent as good as others.

Just search on the internet for sites that compare the Radeon 9800 Pro against the FX5900 Ultra. I think both cards are very evenly matched. Another thing to watch out for is FSAA and maybe anistropic filtering as Nvidia cards use a different approach which can perform worst or give a poorer picture quality than the Radeon 9800 Pro.

If you have the money then go and get a 256mb version of the cards as they will probably be £400 or so but if you have the money to spend it could be worth it.
Tue 29/07/03 at 17:08
Regular
"I see you"
fiƒi[oV] wrote:
> Yup, I'd agree with Uncle Albert - they're both great cards, but you
> do get a ltitle extra if you pay the premium for a 5900 ultra. If you
> can afford it and are happy to do so, go for it, it'll be one hell of
> a gaming machine..

128Mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, if you pay by switch it's £289.00 pay with visa and it's £295.98

128Mb GeForce FX5900 (don't know if it's Ultra though), if you pay by switch it's £279.00 pay with visa and it's £285.73

Both prices taken from www.worldofcomputers.uk.com, the price of the things doesn't bother me i just want the best performance out of my machine.
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:48
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Yup, I'd agree with Uncle Albert - they're both great cards, but you do get a ltitle extra if you pay the premium for a 5900 ultra. If you can afford it and are happy to do so, go for it, it'll be one hell of a gaming machine..
Tue 29/07/03 at 10:34
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
To be honest, it's been proven that these cards are pretty much even-stevens in most performance benchmarks (3dmark is void, as there's a big fiasco about nVidia and Futuremark as apparently, they've included a feature on the FX which allows them to 'cheat' in these particular benchmark).

However, it's been noted that as the resolution is cranked up, along with FSAA and antistropic filtering, the FX does come out on top by a noticable margin.

Just my 2p worth.
Tue 29/07/03 at 00:12
Regular
"I see you"
If the knowing the specs of the machine will help, this is what i plan on building.

Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro (800MHz FSB)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz
512Mb DDR 400 (boosted to 1Gb after a month)
80Gb Western Digital ATA100/7200 RPM 8Mb
Sony 16x DVD-ROM
17" TFT Monitor
Tue 29/07/03 at 00:03
Regular
"I see you"
Right guys and girls i really need some help here, this Saturday i will be ordering my components for my new pc and at the moment i've decided on getting a Radeon 9800 Pro but (yes there is a but), should i actually get this card or a GeForce FX5900 Ultra?

I would actually like to hear your opions but i would only like to hear, actual experiences or proven facts about each of the cards and which one i should decide on getting. You have been set your challenge, good luck.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.