GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Conflict Desert Storm 2 Vs Freedom Fighters Vs Killzone"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/08/03 at 19:38
Regular
Right the forum is dead so I thought I would write a bit about these three games and which I think will be best.

Desert Storm 2.
The second installment looks good so far, but even though the graphics have been tidied up and you have a new 360º thingy which means your 4 man squad will search for targets like they really should.
I find the new additions to the game a bit dissapointing mainly due to the fact that there are hardly none whilst i was expecting a complete overhaul of the last game which would sort out certain parts but they have just seemed to have tidied it up and put new missions in. With the first Desert Storm game being my over all best game ever, I will still buy this game due to the fact that this game will still feature the four guys from the last game (Bradley Foley Conners Jones) instead of the other four that they had originally planned on. The graphics do look alot crisper from the screen shots i have seen and what i would like to see is your 4 men teaming up with possibly another 4 (not online just for a mission or two) I think this game will get an 9/10 from OPS2 but I am also looking into the direction of another game called:

Freedom fighters.
Now I dont actually know if this is called what I have put but its what was in OPS2 (I thought it had a *battle for liberty island* tag some where). Basically this is similar to a game I played a while ago on the PSone, i cant remember the name but it basically it did what this game is doing. you take control of a nobody (lets call him Asher D ;D) anyways you have to guide Asher D through loads of stuff on your own and then when you do certain things you get charisma points which can be used to make other people follow you. it takes one charisma point to get a person to follow you. These people will apparantly fight to the death for you and they also have advanced AI which sounds good, but the enemy also are very clever, They hide behind boxes etc and attack as if its a real person.
OPS2 gave it a 9/10 and said "Everyone should play this" and in all honesty i think it looks better then Desert Storm 2. Heres an example of what you can do - Whilst playing as Asher D if you have enough charisma points you will be able to gain a maximum of 12 group members, you could get 3 to stay with you, 3 to attack some where and the other 6 to help as back up to them. This game got 9/10 from OPS2

Killzone.
This game has been around for a year already and the first official screenshot was only just released in this months OPS2 magazine it is set in the future and it is about aliens attacking planets that people from earth have conquered, you take control of 1 of 4 people who are loyal to earth and you try and defend your planets. This will be online and in OPS2 it says that you will be able to play with 3 other people online (to make the four-some) but with many houses still without a broadband enabled area this could be a problem. Could this came be the first REAL killer APP title for PS2 or is it like that simpsons episode where you were not allowed to see some thing for ages but then when everyone finally paid and seen it they found out it was poo.

What do you think?
Wed 13/08/03 at 19:38
Regular
Right the forum is dead so I thought I would write a bit about these three games and which I think will be best.

Desert Storm 2.
The second installment looks good so far, but even though the graphics have been tidied up and you have a new 360º thingy which means your 4 man squad will search for targets like they really should.
I find the new additions to the game a bit dissapointing mainly due to the fact that there are hardly none whilst i was expecting a complete overhaul of the last game which would sort out certain parts but they have just seemed to have tidied it up and put new missions in. With the first Desert Storm game being my over all best game ever, I will still buy this game due to the fact that this game will still feature the four guys from the last game (Bradley Foley Conners Jones) instead of the other four that they had originally planned on. The graphics do look alot crisper from the screen shots i have seen and what i would like to see is your 4 men teaming up with possibly another 4 (not online just for a mission or two) I think this game will get an 9/10 from OPS2 but I am also looking into the direction of another game called:

Freedom fighters.
Now I dont actually know if this is called what I have put but its what was in OPS2 (I thought it had a *battle for liberty island* tag some where). Basically this is similar to a game I played a while ago on the PSone, i cant remember the name but it basically it did what this game is doing. you take control of a nobody (lets call him Asher D ;D) anyways you have to guide Asher D through loads of stuff on your own and then when you do certain things you get charisma points which can be used to make other people follow you. it takes one charisma point to get a person to follow you. These people will apparantly fight to the death for you and they also have advanced AI which sounds good, but the enemy also are very clever, They hide behind boxes etc and attack as if its a real person.
OPS2 gave it a 9/10 and said "Everyone should play this" and in all honesty i think it looks better then Desert Storm 2. Heres an example of what you can do - Whilst playing as Asher D if you have enough charisma points you will be able to gain a maximum of 12 group members, you could get 3 to stay with you, 3 to attack some where and the other 6 to help as back up to them. This game got 9/10 from OPS2

Killzone.
This game has been around for a year already and the first official screenshot was only just released in this months OPS2 magazine it is set in the future and it is about aliens attacking planets that people from earth have conquered, you take control of 1 of 4 people who are loyal to earth and you try and defend your planets. This will be online and in OPS2 it says that you will be able to play with 3 other people online (to make the four-some) but with many houses still without a broadband enabled area this could be a problem. Could this came be the first REAL killer APP title for PS2 or is it like that simpsons episode where you were not allowed to see some thing for ages but then when everyone finally paid and seen it they found out it was poo.

What do you think?
Wed 13/08/03 at 20:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Going on experience I'd say Freedom Fighters would be best for a short term frag-fix.

Killzone could just turn out to be another The Getaway or Tomb Raider, or it could be a smash hit. Again, from experience, don't get your hopes up, it's too far off to worry about.

EverQuest is out soon so what do I care anyway? :P
Wed 13/08/03 at 21:40
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Out of the three I would go for Freedom Fighters.

I didn't like the first Desert Storm, and I don't know much about Killzone. Freedom Fighters looks good and I've been keeping my eye on it for months now. It was to be called "Freedom: Battle for Liberty Island" but that was decided to be a little long so they shortened it to a more memorable "Freedon Fighters" (boring fact of the day, eh?)

:)
Wed 13/08/03 at 21:41
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Or "Freedom Fighters" even.
Wed 13/08/03 at 22:38
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
> EverQuest is out soon so what do I care anyway? :P

So that will be FM giving up his job. Now this type of game would interest me normally but our area isn't broadband enabled yet (we live in a village). Doesn't EQOA require a monthly subscription for online play? Not many people would pay £10 per month to play it would they? And this may sound stupid but how does it end? I know you have to go around fighting them big things but doesnt the game end?
Wed 13/08/03 at 23:35
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
KR wrote:
> So that will be FM giving up his job.

Way ahead of you there. Quit in August 2002 once I heard this was definitely getting a UK release just so that I could warm up for it. (Practice levelling on Final Fantasy games, acquire a taste for Pringles and Diet Coke, get used to living in permanent shade and gloomy conditions etc. Now I'm ready).

> Doesn't EQOA require a monthly subscription for
> online play?

It sure does :)

> Not many people would pay £10 per month to play it
> would they?

They launched it in Febrary 2003 in the States. Server capacity is 5000 players. Due to signups they've averaged adding one new server per month since launch. 30,000 gamers can't all be wrong.

> And this may sound stupid but how does it end? I know you
> have to go around fighting them big things but doesnt the game end?

MMORPGs never end. You do quests, you kill stuff, you collect items to make you more powerful, you make some friends, you kill bigger stuff, you level up, you reach the level cap (used to be level 50, just been increased to 60) and they toss in more stuff to kill, more things to get, more spells and skills to play with, more crafts, more fishing, more mining, more areas to explore, more quests to do. Then when you've done all that, they add more and increase the level cap again. And add more bits to the game's storyline. It's basically Final Fantasy but without an end boss and credits.

The important bit is 'friends'. The biggest part of MMORPGs is the social interaction.
Wed 13/08/03 at 23:51
Regular
I have read that some people have a job where they find all the best weapons or power ups etc and then sell them to people in real life over the internet, i read this some where anyway. well hopefully if broadband gets in my area some time this year (like BT said it would) then i might have to have a look at the game.

Oh and what happens when you die during the game?
Thu 14/08/03 at 00:02
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Pretty sure you start again.....
Thu 14/08/03 at 00:06
Regular
Hmm but what if you have been on that certain game for a year? you lose all your stats etc?
Thu 14/08/03 at 00:22
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
CONFLICT: DESERT STORM 2

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.