GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your Opinion Please..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 28/09/01 at 19:12
Regular
This is my first site that I have done from HTML and it is my schools official one and I would like to know what you think of it. Here is the link

http://www.nortoncanes-high.staffs.sch.uk

I am not advertising this site because why would I want to advertise my schools web site, I just want to know what you think of it :-)

Thanks.
Mon 01/10/01 at 20:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
So, then Add Favorites as normal, so you keep them :o).
Mon 01/10/01 at 20:10
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
cjh wrote:
> Yeah they can, just right-click in that Frame, and click on
> the "Add To Favorites".

Yes, and then you lose the navigation for the rest of the whole site.
Mon 01/10/01 at 18:24
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Though I think Frames can look cool, plus if a frame is used for the links page, it doesn't have to be loaded all the time.
I like them, if used right....

Forget about old browsers these days, if people can't be bothered to keep that upto date, and have such an old browser, then there's not a whole lot you can do for them... so I just ignore them. :o).
Mon 01/10/01 at 18:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Slaveunit wrote:
Taking off the menus is a pain in the backside. If youre going to do that, at least have a back button. This is made tricky as youre in frames, which arent internet friendly. People cannot store links to particular pages in their favourites.

Yeah they can, just right-click in that Frame, and click on the "Add To Favorites".
Mon 01/10/01 at 17:50
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
OK, I'm working on a new first page which will not tell anyone what res the site is best used in. I was thinking about having the logo at the top linked to the first page, I would have to tell the user that though because it is not obvious.
Mon 01/10/01 at 16:43
"High polygon count"
Slaveunit wrote:
> Some older browsers do not support them at all.

Some older browsers don't support Java or Flash either, but no-one complains about them.

> With scripts that change more than one frame your
> back button does not work.

So design your site better! :-)

> You cannot save a framed page to your favourites,
> or link to it from another site unless another frameset page is made (defeating
> the object/a huge faff)

Again, if a site is designed well enough, it shouldn't matter too much. You should always bookmark the main frameset anyway...

> Frames are not search-engine friendly, if a search
> engine spider finds a framed page it will list it as the main page and then your
> menu isnt there

You can use META tags to prevent any decent search engine from indexing incorrect pages.

> Frame border attributes are diggerent in IE and Netscape,
> requiring 2 sets of tags in your code to display them as you like.

'diggerent'? Heh! So you put both sets of tags in... no big deal, as a browser ignores tags it doesn't understand.

> They smell of old people.

Erm...

I don't mind frames at all. My site uses them, and the one I'm designing for my cousins wife at the moment will also use frames.

Tables etc. are okay for layout, but you repeat a lot of code. I don't like having the whole page disappear and re-appear whenever I click a link.

Have to admit though, I've not upated my site for a while... maybe I'll change my mind when it comes time to re-design it... which will be soon-ish.
Mon 01/10/01 at 16:33
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Frames are the tool of the devil.

Really though...

Some older browsers do not support them at all.

With scripts that change more than one frame your back button does not work.

You cannot save a framed page to your favourites, or link to it from another site unless another frameset page is made (defeating the object/a huge faff)

Frames are not search-engine friendly, if a search engine spider finds a framed page it will list it as the main page and then your menu isnt there

Frame border attributes are diggerent in IE and Netscape, requiring 2 sets of tags in your code to display them as you like.

They smell of old people.

Any others?
Mon 01/10/01 at 16:06
"High polygon count"
I'd just like to know what people have against frames...

I like them!
Mon 01/10/01 at 09:05
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I agree with turbo, though I wont be as harsh... :)

Having a "Best viewed at..." Is not acceptable. People dont want to hear that they need a new monitor to see your site as its meant to be. Your code should adapt to the screen size.

Taking off the menus is a pain in the backside. If youre going to do that, at least have a back button. This is made tricky as youre in frames, which arent internet friendly. People cannot store links to particular pages in their favourites.

Check in your html editor about default font-sets. Browsers default to Times if the font isnt there.

Other than that (and the colours - you might get away with it if it's not so dark), it's pretty cool.
Sun 30/09/01 at 21:53
Regular
Well good on ya AK! :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.