GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics giant ATI joins Microsoft"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/08/03 at 20:09
Regular
www.gamespot.com/xbox/news/news_6073426.html

Cool eh? nVidea's graphics chip runs the current Xbox hardware - But Xbox 2 will have ATI powered hardware.

But what about the GC? You reckon they are gonna swap? nVidea N5!
Thu 14/08/03 at 20:09
Regular
www.gamespot.com/xbox/news/news_6073426.html

Cool eh? nVidea's graphics chip runs the current Xbox hardware - But Xbox 2 will have ATI powered hardware.

But what about the GC? You reckon they are gonna swap? nVidea N5!
Thu 14/08/03 at 21:57
Regular
"gsybe you!"
ATI and Nintendo are still buddy as far as I know.

There was some story about them being happy chappies.
Thu 14/08/03 at 22:37
Regular
I suppose the company could make chips for both consoles.....but.....
Sat 16/08/03 at 00:09
Regular
Basically, MS realised that the Gamecube is FAR better designed than the Xbox after all and wanted the next generation console to be more like it! :-P
Sat 16/08/03 at 12:14
Regular
*slaps Strafex*

Off ya go - Leave this thread.
Sat 16/08/03 at 12:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Why not?

I highly doubt that the games are that inflexible as to needing an Nvidia card rather than an ATI one, if they are similar enough.

Maybe.......
Sat 16/08/03 at 12:52
Regular
Xbox has PC architecture.

PC games run on any graphics card - Regardless of chipset.

So Xbox 2 will be able to run Xbox games with no problems.
Sat 16/08/03 at 16:32
Regular
Any one know when this x box 2 is coming out. Cos i would be damn angry if it is out within the next year seeing as i just got an xbox
Sat 16/08/03 at 16:52
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Cyclone wrote:
> I highly doubt that the games are that inflexible as to needing an
> Nvidia card rather than an ATI one, if they are similar enough.

Exactly, every PC game, no matter the spec needed, runs on Nvidia and ATI cards, sure performance differs sometimes but not by much. Making Xbox games usable on the next Xbox is a great idea and I'm sure MS will do this, it also prolongs the life of the original console and games.
Sat 16/08/03 at 20:09
Regular
That's true, but you are forgetting something. The X-chip inside the Xbox is programmable, and some games feature programmable special effects that were custom-written for that chip, so an ATi card is not going to be able to run those, unless ATi includes some form of emulation ability.

Whereas for PC, custom-written code like this is not really seen, except of course for the shadow routines in the upcoming Doom 3 which will only work on a GeForce.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.