GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EEEEEVIL NEW VIRUS!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/08/03 at 01:16
Regular
I was out celebrating a mates 21st. Been to the pub and were on our way back to a mates house. There were police all over the place around where my mate lived. This dodgy road I lived on during my 2nd year at uni. Anyways the police had to interview everyone, getting their names, address, what they looked like etc, and where they were on sommin' like 6th June and 2nd July. Cos some smackhead has been killed and they found him in some forrest.

Aaaaanyways.

I was talking to this copper and he asked what I do. Programming. So he asked if I knew about this new virus that has been on the news. Said nope. He asked if I had broadband and I said yes. He said well it infects computers connected with broadband and don't have a firewall installed. I asked what this virus did. He said it makes a popup appear on your screen counting down to shut down your computer. "Ballz" That WAS on my lasses computer which is connected to the modem.

All the virus seems to do though, other than shutting down your computer occasionally. Is on Sat 16th August (MY BIRTHDAY), it will turn on your computer and send e-mails to Bill Gates at Microsoft. This is with the intention of overloading their servers or somthing.

Anyways, not too sure how bad this is, but you should update your virus definitions and get rid of the pesky thing NOW!

Oh, and download a firewall program free called ZoneAlarm if you don't have a firewall installed on your computer!

Have a nice day!

:)
Fri 15/08/03 at 03:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Some people are bloody sad.

Why the hell would you bother doing something like this? Whoever made worm this is a right knobber.
Fri 15/08/03 at 02:47
Regular
Nah, not like that.

But firstly anyone with XP would have had the built in firewall activated by default, which stops it working. And secondly most are slightly harder to remove than right clicking on them and selecting 'delete'.

Although I have a good mind to get it back and let it attack Microsoft...
Fri 15/08/03 at 02:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Any person should be updating windows regularly.

Otherwise hackers will find a way into your comp and pull our pants over your head.
Fri 15/08/03 at 02:16
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> If you have even slight knowledge of computers it's a rather pathetic
> virus, and amazingly simple to remove.

You say it's pathetic like you mean because it doesn't destroy your PC! That's not the virus's purpose. It's purpose is to bombard Microsoft with e-mails. In that regard, it was quite well devised at attacking the normal home PC user who doesn't have all these extra safety features installed.

Fri 15/08/03 at 02:04
Regular
I got it on Monday, was staying over a friends house. When I got back on tuesday CM showed me the Sophos page on it and I just deleted it from my registry.

If you have even slight knowledge of computers it's a rather pathetic virus, and amazingly simple to remove.
Fri 15/08/03 at 01:43
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Been infected?

Then use this page!

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

Fri 15/08/03 at 01:35
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3151439.stm

Fri 15/08/03 at 01:16
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I was out celebrating a mates 21st. Been to the pub and were on our way back to a mates house. There were police all over the place around where my mate lived. This dodgy road I lived on during my 2nd year at uni. Anyways the police had to interview everyone, getting their names, address, what they looked like etc, and where they were on sommin' like 6th June and 2nd July. Cos some smackhead has been killed and they found him in some forrest.

Aaaaanyways.

I was talking to this copper and he asked what I do. Programming. So he asked if I knew about this new virus that has been on the news. Said nope. He asked if I had broadband and I said yes. He said well it infects computers connected with broadband and don't have a firewall installed. I asked what this virus did. He said it makes a popup appear on your screen counting down to shut down your computer. "Ballz" That WAS on my lasses computer which is connected to the modem.

All the virus seems to do though, other than shutting down your computer occasionally. Is on Sat 16th August (MY BIRTHDAY), it will turn on your computer and send e-mails to Bill Gates at Microsoft. This is with the intention of overloading their servers or somthing.

Anyways, not too sure how bad this is, but you should update your virus definitions and get rid of the pesky thing NOW!

Oh, and download a firewall program free called ZoneAlarm if you don't have a firewall installed on your computer!

Have a nice day!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.