GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EEEEEVIL NEW VIRUS!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/08/03 at 01:16
Regular
I was out celebrating a mates 21st. Been to the pub and were on our way back to a mates house. There were police all over the place around where my mate lived. This dodgy road I lived on during my 2nd year at uni. Anyways the police had to interview everyone, getting their names, address, what they looked like etc, and where they were on sommin' like 6th June and 2nd July. Cos some smackhead has been killed and they found him in some forrest.

Aaaaanyways.

I was talking to this copper and he asked what I do. Programming. So he asked if I knew about this new virus that has been on the news. Said nope. He asked if I had broadband and I said yes. He said well it infects computers connected with broadband and don't have a firewall installed. I asked what this virus did. He said it makes a popup appear on your screen counting down to shut down your computer. "Ballz" That WAS on my lasses computer which is connected to the modem.

All the virus seems to do though, other than shutting down your computer occasionally. Is on Sat 16th August (MY BIRTHDAY), it will turn on your computer and send e-mails to Bill Gates at Microsoft. This is with the intention of overloading their servers or somthing.

Anyways, not too sure how bad this is, but you should update your virus definitions and get rid of the pesky thing NOW!

Oh, and download a firewall program free called ZoneAlarm if you don't have a firewall installed on your computer!

Have a nice day!

:)
Sun 17/08/03 at 19:39
Regular
"Master Chef - halo"
ahh...

what a shame..

I'm sure alot of people with a mac would love to bombard microsoft with spam and then blame it on a virus. ;c)
Sun 17/08/03 at 19:09
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
TGMbloke wrote:
> Someone has been murdered and found in a forest, and the copper
> started chatting to you about the internet? Sheesh.....

The search for dead smackheads are obviously top of their list of priorities...

> Anyways - what languages do you program in then? VB? VB.NET? C++?
> Java? VB Script? ASP? PHP? ASPX? Pearl?

C/C++, OpenGL. Did some VB once but not in a couple years.

:)
Sat 16/08/03 at 16:53
Regular
:-)
Sat 16/08/03 at 16:52
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> PERL?
Sat 16/08/03 at 10:50
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
I read in my local paper that it only affects people with Windows XP so hopefully I'm safe!
Fri 15/08/03 at 22:20
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I think the question is do we really want to get rid of it. I'm sure there are quite a few members of the Hate Bill Gates fanclub and overloading their servers might just be "fun" for them.
Fri 15/08/03 at 19:16
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
We got this on monday, but we got rid of it on tuesday. We just rang the Btopenworld helpline and it gave instructions on what to do.
Simple.
Fri 15/08/03 at 09:03
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
You kinda missed the three topics about this virus elsewhere on the forums then ?
Fri 15/08/03 at 07:36
Regular
"You! Obey the fist!"
hmm, a few things to say.

1.] wow, the 6th of june is my birthday!
2.]wow, the 16th of august is also one of my friends birthdays!
3.] does anyone know how to get rid of the virus without using the internet(cos it stops the internet working on a friends comp)
4.]wots it like working in proramming....cos thats what i want to do after i go to university? hows the money etc.
infact, for number 4, jus email me or msg me on msn or [email protected]

if u can do that, i'll b thankful
Fri 15/08/03 at 03:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
See! That damn hacker, changed my words around to make me look like a fool.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.