GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box mods."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/08/03 at 20:48
Regular
We all know that the X-Box ain't the best looking console out there, but in this months issue of XBOX world, there's a feature about people who have modified their X-Box's.

They take their Box's totally apart, and spray paint them in many different colours and designs. Some were very cool looking, and some were just totally genius. Some were sprayed, some had the big green 'jewel' removed and replaced it with a designer 'jewel', and some modified the existing jewel, and stripped the paint off to make it clear, then wired up an LED to the hard-drive, and placed it under the jewel, so that the machine glowed various colours.

There's a link in the mag that I'll put up here shortly that has all the modded box's featured.

So has anyone here designed their X-Boxes? I quite fancy doing something myself if I can find the strength to dismantle the best console in my collection.

:)
Mon 18/08/03 at 18:02
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
My address is my name @hotmail.com
Mon 18/08/03 at 09:23
Regular
"\\"
az_00_uk wrote:
> Yeah, I have msn.
>
> I sold my xbox to a friend with some of my poorer games, which I
> bought on the day of release, 14th March 2002 I believe. With that
> mohoney, I paid half of the price of the pre-modded box, the other
> half I managed to persuade my mum to pay :P I would give you the URL
> for the place I purchased it from but enevitably, the address will
> get edited out by moderators(what the hell, ok, I won't tell you the
> address, but goto google and search premodded.co.uk). Btw, a 120gb
> drive isn't obligatory, you can choose i think a 40gb, 80gb and some
> other which is less than 120, but I noticed how the price from the
> one between 80 and 120 to be hardly any cheaper than the 120 drive,
> like a tenner, so I opted for 120gb, seemed to work out better.
> Overall my modded xbox cost £275 or there abouts, but with that
> you get the xecuter 2.2 lite chip(get this chip!! its the best on the
> market say many sources, again do your own research please, don't
> hold me responsible for anything that may go wrong related to this
> subject), which has switches to revert back to the normal xbox
> dashboard enabling xbox live (it even has a safeguard thing which
> stops you from accidentally logging on to XBL and getting band for
> life), and a 120gb hard drive, also the evolution X dash board which
> is sw33t, so many opportunities, and you can choose many different
> skins and upload your own if your clever enough with pc's and if you
> can figure out how to do all the canoodling, which I have yet to do.
>
> I strongly suggest you do some deep scouting first, look around to
> check you will be able to do the networking etc and ensure you will
> be able to do everything necessary to fulfill your desires, fro
> example I found out that you would need an NIC card in your pc and a
> cross-over cable to connect up to the xbox, again please search the
> net for forums related to this whole modded xbox thing, also for
> tutorials, I think xboxscene is a site with such resources.
>
> Find tutorials, info, advice, etc.
>
> This is all simply advise and suggestions for those who are
> interested, namely gamezfreak and the other dude, I am not condoning
> any illegal practises, I'm just a kid who was told the same as I told
> you and am enjoying my box at its full potential.
>
> Don't kill me, please.

Thanks but all i wanted was your msn address :D
Sun 17/08/03 at 22:33
Regular
Sun 17/08/03 at 22:31
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
Yeah, I have msn.

I sold my xbox to a friend with some of my poorer games, which I bought on the day of release, 14th March 2002 I believe. With that mohoney, I paid half of the price of the pre-modded box, the other half I managed to persuade my mum to pay :P I would give you the URL for the place I purchased it from but enevitably, the address will get edited out by moderators(what the hell, ok, I won't tell you the address, but goto google and search premodded.co.uk). Btw, a 120gb drive isn't obligatory, you can choose i think a 40gb, 80gb and some other which is less than 120, but I noticed how the price from the one between 80 and 120 to be hardly any cheaper than the 120 drive, like a tenner, so I opted for 120gb, seemed to work out better. Overall my modded xbox cost £275 or there abouts, but with that you get the xecuter 2.2 lite chip(get this chip!! its the best on the market say many sources, again do your own research please, don't hold me responsible for anything that may go wrong related to this subject), which has switches to revert back to the normal xbox dashboard enabling xbox live (it even has a safeguard thing which stops you from accidentally logging on to XBL and getting band for life), and a 120gb hard drive, also the evolution X dash board which is sw33t, so many opportunities, and you can choose many different skins and upload your own if your clever enough with pc's and if you can figure out how to do all the canoodling, which I have yet to do.

I strongly suggest you do some deep scouting first, look around to check you will be able to do the networking etc and ensure you will be able to do everything necessary to fulfill your desires, fro example I found out that you would need an NIC card in your pc and a cross-over cable to connect up to the xbox, again please search the net for forums related to this whole modded xbox thing, also for tutorials, I think xboxscene is a site with such resources.

Find tutorials, info, advice, etc.

This is all simply advise and suggestions for those who are interested, namely gamezfreak and the other dude, I am not condoning any illegal practises, I'm just a kid who was told the same as I told you and am enjoying my box at its full potential.

Don't kill me, please.
Sun 17/08/03 at 18:22
Regular
"\\"
Yes... i want free games too so i also want your msn address... Did i say free? I meant not having to use the disc.
Sun 17/08/03 at 18:11
Regular
You got msn az?
Sun 17/08/03 at 18:03
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
All xbox games are on DVD media, which holds a capacity of 4.7gb, I'm not certain of the size of the games, the majority are likely to be about 2gb, I know someone who has burnt many games to their HDD, and they tell me there is no loss in quality, I have yet to do it myself, as I haven't had my chipped box for long and need to wait for my new pc to arrive, because you need to network to burn the xISO image of the game to your xbox HDD.

I felt it necessary to buy a modded xbox, because I found myself spending too much money on games, and at 16 years of age I don't really have the funds to carry on with this, so I thought I would try this method. Of course I own the original copy of every game which I intend to burn ;)
Sun 17/08/03 at 17:50
Regular
"\\"
az_00_uk wrote:
> Yeah, there's around 300,000 blocks, which works out to be either 8gb
> or for some xbox's 10gb. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry
> about ever running out of space :P
>
> Also games are about 4gb each maximum

Bloody hell... Whenever i download games theyre never above 1.5gigs, although that IS for the pc.

Did i say download... i meant buy and check the cd size...
Sun 17/08/03 at 16:19
Regular
But have games got a loss in quality Az?
Sun 17/08/03 at 16:18
Regular
"asdfjkl;"
Yeah, there's around 300,000 blocks, which works out to be either 8gb or for some xbox's 10gb. Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about ever running out of space :P

Also games are about 4gb each maximum, some could be 2-3gb, so i would be able to fit perhaps 20-30 games with space left to save and for music.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.