GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another 'Who should I vote for?' thing"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/04/10 at 12:16
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
This time from the Telegraph.

LINKY

Always interesting seeing these things as, should I choose to vote, my support is still fairly split.

According to this I'm all about Conservatives and UKIP with a (un)healthy chunk of BNP thrown in for good measure. Can't say I've decided who I'm voting for yet, but it killed some time and gave me an idea where I stand compared to the parties.
Fri 23/04/10 at 21:13
Regular
"8==="
LukeM wrote:
>
> I say welcome everyone! What would Jesus do? (lol)

Jesus would get turned away at Calais.
Fri 23/04/10 at 15:33
Regular
Butch wrote:
> Up until yesterday I was fairly decided in my vote. However, I
> finally received the promotional leaflet from my local UKIP
> candidate and it has completely put me off him. As said before, I
> agree with a lot of their policies (further re-enforced by tnc
> below), however this bloke has managed to lose my vote all in the
> space of a shiny piece of A5 paper.
>
> Even if I over-look his views on local issues, which completely
> go against my feelings, he spelt self-belief, sel-belief plus he
> miss-spelt the third-busiest airport in the United Kingdom.
> (HINT: It's not Stanstead)
>
> Out of principle, I cannot vote for an individual, or party,
> that so blatantly doesn't proof-read information he sends out. He
> has had plenty of time to produce such information, and ensure it
> is completed to a decent standard, so that cannot be an excuse. I
> put this over-sight down to laziness, poor attention to detail or
> crappy man-management. Not exactly the type of person I want
> representing my constituency in that big building on the Thames.

I have to admit, it's a rather poor attempt to canvass your support on your constituent's behalf - and one that does lean towards a lack of detail

However, I'd still rather have a UKIP leaflet through my door with a few grammatical mistakes/spelling errors than the Labour pamphlet reminding me "Nick Clegg wants to give the vote to paedophiles and rapists", the Lib Dem leaflet telling me "We need change" or the Conservatives effort that actually managed to be an almost entire A5 sheet on why the Lib Dems and Labour shouldn't be allowed a hung Parliament. Not to mention that we shouldn't have Lib Dems in at all, or see Labour return

Not exactly a strong case from any of them IMO - especially the Lib Dem pamphlet urging me towards wishy-washy, unspecified "change" (urgh) or the Labour effort to convince me of some ridiculous, overly sensationalised point. They may as well have put the Daily Mail through my letterbox
Fri 23/04/10 at 15:02
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Haha, I think that quiz takes a strong stance on your opinion on immigration. TBH immigration has never actually affected my life, in fact it is necessary for certain businesses that get very few English workers applying for the jobs.

I say welcome everyone! What would Jesus do? (lol)
Fri 23/04/10 at 14:13
"possibly impossible"
What was the question that led to the 66%?

"Are you a thug who enjoys being homophobic, racist and generally not a nice person to know but covers it all up in an attempt to fool the public?"
Fri 23/04/10 at 12:31
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Heh, I know who i am voting for and this tool picked my most likely last :/

And scarily top 66% BNP???? I'll pack my bags now...
Fri 23/04/10 at 12:01
"possibly impossible"
Tools like that are never really going to work on an individual basis anyway, the questions are far too woolly.
Fri 23/04/10 at 10:52
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
For anyone who has tried this online poll, I would sound a note of caution... after using this and allowing UKIP as one of the potential parties I'd vote for (just as an experiment) this poll told me that I should vote UKIP (by quite a long margin, in fact).

Now this is astonishing as I have a long-standing interest in politics and - despite becomming disillusioned in recent years by the Labour government - I am pretty sure of my own political leanings. I am also sure that I disagree with the basic principles of UKIP and many of their specific policy suggestions.

Therefore, I've got to conclude that these kind of quick tools sadly aren't much use at all. For anyone who is unsure of their vote, but has been interested enough by the campaign or the TV debates to want to vote, get yourself online and spend a couple of hours actually reading about the manifesto pledges of the various parties.
Fri 23/04/10 at 08:56
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Up until yesterday I was fairly decided in my vote. However, I finally received the promotional leaflet from my local UKIP candidate and it has completely put me off him. As said before, I agree with a lot of their policies (further re-enforced by tnc below), however this bloke has managed to lose my vote all in the space of a shiny piece of A5 paper.

Even if I over-look his views on local issues, which completely go against my feelings, he spelt self-belief, sel-belief plus he miss-spelt the third-busiest airport in the United Kingdom. (HINT: It's not Stanstead)

Out of principle, I cannot vote for an individual, or party, that so blatantly doesn't proof-read information he sends out. He has had plenty of time to produce such information, and ensure it is completed to a decent standard, so that cannot be an excuse. I put this over-sight down to laziness, poor attention to detail or crappy man-management. Not exactly the type of person I want representing my constituency in that big building on the Thames.
Thu 22/04/10 at 12:07
Regular
pb wrote:
> It will be Lib Dem for me again, as with the last few elections.
> UKIP just seem to make themselves out to be interested in
> providing an escape from Europe without the means to fall back on
> UK owned businesses thriving.

They do actually have a fairly decent economic policy, with a lot more clear cut statistics and facts than parties such as the Lib Dems

I'm not saying that to put down your support of the Lib Dems - just that their dodging of giving an answer to any issue whatsoever hasn't impressed me this time around

> The issue with the EU is not that
> 'other people' are making rules for 'us' it's that WE need to be
> a bigger part of the process in order to help create the rules
> ourselves.

However, that is still the issue - we cannot become a bigger part of the decision making process, and if anything the UK (and all Member States for that matter) are set to become a smaller presence within the EU, due to a move towards a shared UN seat for the EU, rather than each Member State

Not to mention that the EU denies us a seat in the WTO and the CFTA (Commonwealth Free Trade Area) would actually be a logistically feasible, and economically viable alternative to the EU - especially as UKIP wish to re-establish EFA trading with EU Member States anyway
Thu 22/04/10 at 11:59
"possibly impossible"
It will be Lib Dem for me again, as with the last few elections. UKIP just seem to make themselves out to be interested in providing an escape from Europe without the means to fall back on UK owned businesses thriving. The issue with the EU is not that 'other people' are making rules for 'us' it's that WE need to be a bigger part of the process in order to help create the rules ourselves.

The problem being that this country is always going to have an island mentality because it thinks so egotistical for such a small island.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.