GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"C&C Generals"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Command & Conquer: Generals'.
Wed 27/08/03 at 09:50
Regular
Downloaded the demo last night...what am I missing?
It's exactly the same as the other C&C games, just better graphics no?
Get loads of troops, swarm the base, the end.

Is there something I'm not seeing?
Wed 27/08/03 at 09:50
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Downloaded the demo last night...what am I missing?
It's exactly the same as the other C&C games, just better graphics no?
Get loads of troops, swarm the base, the end.

Is there something I'm not seeing?
Wed 27/08/03 at 09:59
"I love yo... lamp."
Your not missing anything. Most strategy games are very similar, just dressed up differently. If you like C & C then you would maybe like it. I've been playing Red Alert recently, and it is almost identical to the original except with slightly different units. But I do still enjoy it.

As long as people still enjoy it, it will sell.
Wed 27/08/03 at 10:58
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I found it to be quite good, not revolutionary, but the AI seems better, and individual units are more effective. Yeah, you can just rush on some levels, but it's more rewarding to do it differently.

Goatboy, ever tried Rise Of Nations ? Rush tactics NEVER work even at Easy Level, battles can last hours and defeating the AI takes some doing as you have to take down 2-10 cities each with defences, air cover, guards etc Graphics are not amazing, but with up to 500 things on screen at once what do you expect ?
Wed 27/08/03 at 11:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Rise of Nations 2? Nope.
I used to love RTS games, had loads but just got really fed up with the same pattern being repeated endlessly in these games:
Gather resource, amass army, swarm base, win.
Shogun was very cool for the lack of base-rushing.

Rise worth checking out then?
Wed 27/08/03 at 12:04
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Definitely, everything from stone age to information age, rocks to Nuclear weapons and B2's, it's a Microsoft game, hence pricey, but everyone gave it great reviews and it has a wealth of options - Conquer The World is a mission/campaign based game where you take your chosen nation through history, and solo games allow you to play any age, against any other nation, with loads of custom options. Best RTS I've ever played.
Wed 27/08/03 at 12:09
Regular
If you're actually after a good RTS, then I suggest something like Sudden Strike 2 or Blitzkrieg, non of this base-building crap.
They certainly won't push your computer to it's limits, but you can't beat them for pure troop strategy commanding.
Wed 27/08/03 at 14:20
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Goatboy wrote:
> Rise of Nations 2? Nope.
> I used to love RTS games, had loads but just got really fed up with
> the same pattern being repeated endlessly in these games:
> Gather resource, amass army, swarm base, win.
> Shogun was very cool for the lack of base-rushing.

You may want to keep an eye out for Ground Control 2 then. The original, like the sequel does away with base building and resource gathering and concentrates on troop deployment and tactics. The original was a great game (You can buy if for a fiver now) and I expect the sequel to better it.
Wed 27/08/03 at 14:20
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I would say Rise Of Nations is pretty good. Blitzkrieg is ok if you like have some troops and thats it. I personnally like building up a base, defending it while I build up a big army and can launch a powerful attack.
Wed 27/08/03 at 14:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Rise of Nations I shall have a look around the web for, thanks chaps
Wed 27/08/03 at 15:28
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Have you played warcraft 3 Goaty?

Its quite different to C&C games, i think theres a lot more strategy involved, although i guess you could say its a bit beardy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.