GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do we support rubbish teams?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/09/01 at 18:22
Regular
Some of you will know that i support a football team called Sheff Wed, today and today only i am allowing you to laugh at my team, we crashed 6-2 to Man City.

The worst thing about the match though was that we were 1 up at 3 mins. Only for us to lose the lead at 30 mins and the 2 mins later, because of some crap defending they score again. Come the second half and im thinking this will be fun, however we come out and score staight away!! for the next 15 mins we play brilliant with 3 scoring chances. Then again, thanks to our defence again, they counter and score, 3-2. We kick off, pass around a bit, loose possesion and they score,4-2. We kick off, have a scoring chance, miss, they counter and score, 5-2. With half the SWFC fans leaving, im thinking, hey, it cant get worse can it, CAUSE IT CAN, what do we do, give a penalty away which of course they score, 6-2.

I sit there on my own in a large space of blue seats and think why...why do we support teams like Sheff wed that never seem to get any luck? I paid £75 for my season ticket, after 3 home games all i have seen is 1 draw and 2 defeats.

So why do we support teams that seem destined to fight relegation every season, personally i support my team because i have a passion for them. It would certainly not stop supporting Sheff Wed and support Man U, and i would certainly not go and support Sheff U or Barnsley!
I have always supported Sheff Wed and i am unlikely to change.

Over the last few seasons i have seen the crowd numbers drop, when we were in the Premiership we got an average of 35,000. Now we are lucky to get 18,000. And this is i feel a large reason why we are where we are, currently we are 16 million in debt and small gate reciepts are not helping at all. For many todays game would have been there first for the season, and now they are not likely to come back, so even more of a less income.

Its sad that football has come down to money, i wish that i would have been able to watch football between 1980-89 where things really took off, and the game was more about how your local players played.

Basicly, all im asking is that lady luck would have a look down on Sheff Wed for once and let us ,the new generation of sheff wed fans have a little bit of the glory, before we end up like QPR, who were once a massive club who are now in Division 2. And it hurts me to say it, the way thing are going, we may join them.

If you have managed to read this rambling topic, thanks for reading. But what are your thoughts on why do we support our teams, i would like very much to here from fans of Div 1-2 teams, but everyone else is more than welcome.

Cheers

Damian - A true Sheff Wed fan.
Sun 23/09/01 at 17:27
I too support who most people would consider to be a rubbish team, Crystal Palace, I would much rather Crystal Palce than Man Utd, with Man Utd the season is all over very early on, as with last season the season wasn't over till the final whistle on the final day, that is what football is all about, tension and excitement. The only excitement you get at Man Utd is the rush out the ground as everyone starts the long drive back to Kent. Yes, I dont live in London, but that doesn't make me a Glory Hunter. I support my team because my dad supported them. And he used to live down there. And as long as there are people like me, the smaller clubs will continue, but as i found out a few seasons ago, if you get a Chairman who wants to get your team to the top for his own personnal gain, it'll all end in tears.
Sat 22/09/01 at 20:08
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
I would prefer to support my local team than be a glory hunter, I don't like glory hunters because 95% of them don't have a clue about the basics of football. Then when they ask you at school how the team that they "support" has got on!?

I have a lot more respect for you compared with the respect I have for glory hunters.
Sat 22/09/01 at 19:25
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well i dont feel lucky, having to sit through 90 minutes of that.
Sat 22/09/01 at 19:22
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
Just think yourself lucky you didn't get beat at home to some Croation outfit I have never heard of, now that was shambolic!
Sat 22/09/01 at 19:20
Pro Evo wrote:
> Ah, but Fegie says to him the Premiership is more important.

I'm sure that Fegie said that, but I heard that Fergie said the same thing y'know! Uncanny that ain't it!
Sat 22/09/01 at 19:19
For the teams not participating in the Champions League, the Premiership or the Nationwide League is the most important thing there to them, I think that Everton's main goal is survival, then Everton have to work on Europe. But Man U should focus on the Premiership, the best club in England should out rank the best club in Europe rank, because the English rank is underthreat at the moment.

*Sorry if that doesn't make sense!*
Sat 22/09/01 at 19:16
Regular
Ah, but Fegie says to him the Premiership is more important.
Sat 22/09/01 at 19:12
Regular
We all know the rest of the teams are just there to make the numbers up. Just look how seroiuisly Ferguson took the game today! CHampions league is much more important.
Sat 22/09/01 at 19:08
But you forget that there are 19 other teams in that league, it should not revolve around 1 team and how well they play. Man U would not have won the premiership 7 times if it wasn't for the other 19 teams!
Sat 22/09/01 at 19:07
Regular
Yeah. :)

Ha, you should have heard Peter Shreeves excuse to why we lost. We played 5 Under 21 players!!

Rubbish.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.