GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Watching the world's best gamers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/09/01 at 20:07
Regular
People everywhere are playing online whether you're a pro or just a beginner, it doesn't really matter.

I thought up something today, Imagine an online tournament of say Gran Turismo, Thousands of people would enter but wouldn't you find it interesting to sit and watch the SIX best drivers in the WORLD from a specatator's point of view or the replay angles.

What do you think?
Fri 21/09/01 at 20:07
Regular
"Back For Good"
People everywhere are playing online whether you're a pro or just a beginner, it doesn't really matter.

I thought up something today, Imagine an online tournament of say Gran Turismo, Thousands of people would enter but wouldn't you find it interesting to sit and watch the SIX best drivers in the WORLD from a specatator's point of view or the replay angles.

What do you think?
Fri 21/09/01 at 20:09
Regular
Not really the thought of watching 6 acme ridden teenagers playing a computer game doesn't really intrest me,
Fri 21/09/01 at 20:11
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Lol.

Nah, I hate watching replays or watching someone else playing games. The only replays I think I have ever watched was the V-Rally2 ones and that was just to laugh at the crashes. Nope I would not want to watch people on GT3 even if they were better than me.
Fri 21/09/01 at 20:43
Regular
that is so true
watching someone else play is worse than watching paint dry
Fri 21/09/01 at 20:58
Regular
I think that as broadband takes off, a digital channel will open.

People who want to participate in competitions can phone in to get a place in a tournament.
They then get given a time to join the game and an ID password.

As the games are played, the games will be shown on the channel with live commentators.

The sever will be able to control a ghost camera to get a good view of the action on the TV, and viewers can choose digitally, which play to focus on, should they want to.

I think that it has potential, and could become as popular as sports, and it'll also give hardcore gamers the chance to become celebrities for doing what they like best.
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:01
Regular
But really why would you want to watch someone else playing a computer game?
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:16
Regular
Well, say a football player might like to watch matches on TV every now and then.

It's how you get to know who the best of the best are, what's hot and what's not, you can learn from the playing styles of the players on screen and also get advice from commentators.

What's more, if a dull quiz with money prizes involved is exciting, then what would a heated Deathmatch/Race be?
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:20
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
You'd be surprised...there were crowds around the project at i8 for the major finals, big clan matches draw large audiences with people in the gaming community. I went to watch the CS final myself, partly to get some ideas for tactics, partly just to enjoy it...Crimson Jihad have some very skilled players (as did QRGR, but they were out in the semis), they completely owned us, and I wanted to see it from a spectator's point of view.

Counter-Strike 1.3 (just released) has a proper multicast mode for spectators built in now, to allow a delay between the images being displayed for spectators after the players themselves, so they can't cheat by telling team-mates and friends of enemy location. Features like this being specifically implemented due to requests from players and tournament organisers show that there is a demand for it.
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:25
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
You dont need to watch them on TV, or over the net, just come round my house ;)
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:27
Regular
Once broadband is up and running, all the TV company would need would be a sever computer (not too hard for them to get hold of),

sponsership and support of major games companies (a mutual benefit thing - TV show gets support while the companies get promotion - look what Game network did for MIR).

They'd need software to get choose camera angles inside the game and training staff to use them.
They'll need a slot on the Sky Digital channel selection and lastly a bit of advertising from various games mags/sites.

It'll be much better than one of those stupid "control the character using phone buttons" TV show games!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.