GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Watching the world's best gamers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/09/01 at 20:07
Regular
People everywhere are playing online whether you're a pro or just a beginner, it doesn't really matter.

I thought up something today, Imagine an online tournament of say Gran Turismo, Thousands of people would enter but wouldn't you find it interesting to sit and watch the SIX best drivers in the WORLD from a specatator's point of view or the replay angles.

What do you think?
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:56
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I wouldn't like to see their faces but watching people play games over the internet would be quality. I still prefer to play the games though.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:26
Regular
"Wasting away"
I feel embarrassed by watching those people that can do that. They make a living out of playing computer games and spend half there lives playing games to make money. After completing MGS and you feel like a complete Pro you look at the training missions then see just how good the Pros really are at the game and the truth is that they would put everyone in these forums to shame. Sorry to say but unless you have proof that you are the number one in the world at that game then I would find it hard to believe you.

I don't see anything wrong with it myself and it wouldn't bother me watching it. But the thing that is the next crave believe it or not is horse racing. To explain furthur please read on.

This new channel is to be designed, to be finished by some date soon, that will all be computer generated and will bring tv to the next level. Basically you can go to the bookies without having to leave your house. Place a bet on your house, buy your own horse then train it to become a champion. All of this sounds trully amazing and I think watching horse racing is like watching dry paint get drier.

The visual affects are like nothing that has been seen before and every possible camera angel is availible. You will be reaching for cover as the grass flies in the air after your horses feet slam it's feet against the floor in a desperate struggle to win your riches.

Basically in 5 years time this will quite possibly be the next big thing that'll be on televisions across the nation. It's only a matter of time.......
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:18
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Strafex wrote:
> I think that as broadband takes off, a digital channel will open.

People who
> want to participate in competitions can phone in to get a place in a
> tournament.
They then get given a time to join the game and an ID
> password.

As the games are played, the games will be shown on the channel
> with live commentators.

The sever will be able to control a ghost camera to
> get a good view of the action on the TV, and viewers can choose digitally, which
> play to focus on, should they want to.

I think that it has potential, and
> could become as popular as sports, and it'll also give hardcore gamers the
> chance to become celebrities for doing what they like best.

That is what I would define as heaven. Sorry, but I am a true hardcore gamer - I could play for England. So if I got broadband, I could enter tournaments worldwide and compete for the prospect of earning myself the title of 'world's best gamer'? Brilliant.

Something along the same libes as this is already happening in the east, in Japan and Korea. They hold huge exhibitions holding thousands of competitors and the actual matches are shown on TV, with commentators.

Like you said, Strafex, the best gamers are famous celebrities and are as well known as actors are here. Amazing stuff.

It will take a while for Broadband to low it's price wouldn't it? It's a bit expensive at the moment. Then again, TimeSplitters 2 will have internet accessability and will also have a league where the top players will receive awards and titles etc...depending on how many matches they win and lose etc...

Internet is a fine thing, and the way gaminig is going, I'm agreeing with Strafex here, it will become very popular indeed.

Shocktrooper.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:15
Regular
"Back For Good"
Your right Strafex.

Alot of people can't see the attraction but if you compare it to sport where people watch at the event and on TV, I'm sure many viewers would want to see the world's finest.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:04
"period drama"
sound like a boring idea.
everyone claims they are the best at gt3, let them brag.
who cares?
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:29
Regular
Darkness_2K wrote:
> You dont need to watch them on TV, or over the net, just come round my house ;)

We want audiences bigger than just Ant! ;-D
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:27
Regular
Once broadband is up and running, all the TV company would need would be a sever computer (not too hard for them to get hold of),

sponsership and support of major games companies (a mutual benefit thing - TV show gets support while the companies get promotion - look what Game network did for MIR).

They'd need software to get choose camera angles inside the game and training staff to use them.
They'll need a slot on the Sky Digital channel selection and lastly a bit of advertising from various games mags/sites.

It'll be much better than one of those stupid "control the character using phone buttons" TV show games!
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:25
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
You dont need to watch them on TV, or over the net, just come round my house ;)
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:20
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
You'd be surprised...there were crowds around the project at i8 for the major finals, big clan matches draw large audiences with people in the gaming community. I went to watch the CS final myself, partly to get some ideas for tactics, partly just to enjoy it...Crimson Jihad have some very skilled players (as did QRGR, but they were out in the semis), they completely owned us, and I wanted to see it from a spectator's point of view.

Counter-Strike 1.3 (just released) has a proper multicast mode for spectators built in now, to allow a delay between the images being displayed for spectators after the players themselves, so they can't cheat by telling team-mates and friends of enemy location. Features like this being specifically implemented due to requests from players and tournament organisers show that there is a demand for it.
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:16
Regular
Well, say a football player might like to watch matches on TV every now and then.

It's how you get to know who the best of the best are, what's hot and what's not, you can learn from the playing styles of the players on screen and also get advice from commentators.

What's more, if a dull quiz with money prizes involved is exciting, then what would a heated Deathmatch/Race be?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.