GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No X-box for me"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/09/01 at 19:01
Regular
I have decided. No X-box for me. Why have I decided that? Well I don't like the look of it. Not the whole console, just the annoying little tacky green in the middle. It just looks vile.

Here's what Microsft have to say about it, "Sleek and powerful in its look, in a rich shade of black, the Xbox console is emblazoned with a large "X" and a signature green Xbox "jewel" positioned in its center."

Oh, I see clearly now. Its rich black, and its not a tacky sticker but a jewel ooooooooh classy. Man I hate hype.

Well, to hopefully change this into a thread worth reading (maybe), I noticed Microsoft have a lot of hype littered around the X-Box site. They often compare their console to the others and say it is better.

So is this because they are running scared or that they are truthfully trying to tell us that they will wipe the floor with the opposition. I reckon hyping a console and saying it is better than the others is not really the best way of going about getting me to buy the X-Box.

Better than the others eh? I think we will be the judges of that.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:24
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
No the jewel doesn't glow and neither does the controller leads which some people think also glow.

Bruce Lee games. Would you splash out on a Xbox to play one game that might end up being cack?
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:23
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
The only game on Xbpx that i like the look of is the buffy one. However i am a devout nitendo fan and will never ever own a PS or Xbox
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:13
I am interested in the Xbox, because of Dead or Alive 3 and rumours of a Bruce Lee games being available. I don't care what console it is, if there is a Bruce Lee game on it, then I will buy it.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:10
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
I saw somthing where an Xbox official said that the green "Jewel" glowed like a nuclear reactor.

Well it doesn't
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:57
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I will be buying a Xbox because if any of you guys went and found out some info, i'm sure you would also admit the Xbox is looking very promicing.

You say you don't like the look of it, well thats all down to presonal opinion. I like the design. OK its a bit big but well i'd rather have a larger console than a little cube under my telly.

The Xbox has hype around altough it does have less hype around it than the PS2 launch. Wheras the PS2 launhed with the quite good SSX and the dissapointing Tekken Tag, Xbox will launch with some fantastic games. Project Gotham(MSR 2), Munchs Oddsey, DOA3, Halo and many others are in the pipeline such as Unreal championship and JSR future. Anyone who says the Xbox has rubbish games simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

The price isn't high as you get more for your buck. DVD player, a hard drive with the abillity to have MP3 music playing in the background of your fav games and a broadband modem. Not to mention the most powerful games console around.

The games are there, the price is alrite and it looks to have a promicing future. The people who are dismissing it before they have given it a chance will be the ones who miss out.
Fri 21/09/01 at 20:01
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Your Honour wrote:
> Acheron wrote:
> They often compare their console to the others and say it
> is better.

Because, of course, no other console manufacturer has ever said
> that before, have they. No. They've all released press statements saying things
> like "Nope, our console is crap, the others are far bettter, we're not sure
> why we're releasing on actually">

So is
> this because they are
> running scared or that they are truthfully trying to tell
> us that they
> will wipe the floor with the opposition. I reckon hyping a console
> and
> saying it is better than the others is not really the best way of going
>
> about getting me to buy the X-Box.

Because there was no hype around the PS2
> launch, was there? Or the N64 launch, or the DC launch. No, they were quiet
> little affairs that not many people knew about.

Ahhh, no maybe I wasn't clear, it was the fact that the X-Box website is the only one trying to sell its console rather than let the people decide on the strength on specs, games etc. Still, you're right about the hype surrounding all consoles, if it wasn't there then the launch would be non-existent.
Fri 21/09/01 at 19:46
"period drama"
don't buy an x-box.

don't give bill gates the money he 'deserves' (yeah,right)
Fri 21/09/01 at 19:45
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Bit big for a doorstop, Mystique - more like you need a new snazzy, decorative breeze-block.

A doorstop that big is a danger to your health - trip and you've had it.

Gamecube for me too!
Fri 21/09/01 at 19:39
Regular
Acheron wrote:
> They often compare their console to the others and say it is better.

Because, of course, no other console manufacturer has ever said that before, have they. No. They've all released press statements saying things like "Nope, our console is crap, the others are far bettter, we're not sure why we're releasing on actually">

So is
> this because they are running scared or that they are truthfully trying to tell
> us that they will wipe the floor with the opposition. I reckon hyping a console
> and saying it is better than the others is not really the best way of going
> about getting me to buy the X-Box.

Because there was no hype around the PS2 launch, was there? Or the N64 launch, or the DC launch. No, they were quiet little affairs that not many people knew about.
Fri 21/09/01 at 19:33
Regular
i do need a new door stop

i think the X-Box will do nicely

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.