GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No X-box for me"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/09/01 at 19:01
Regular
I have decided. No X-box for me. Why have I decided that? Well I don't like the look of it. Not the whole console, just the annoying little tacky green in the middle. It just looks vile.

Here's what Microsft have to say about it, "Sleek and powerful in its look, in a rich shade of black, the Xbox console is emblazoned with a large "X" and a signature green Xbox "jewel" positioned in its center."

Oh, I see clearly now. Its rich black, and its not a tacky sticker but a jewel ooooooooh classy. Man I hate hype.

Well, to hopefully change this into a thread worth reading (maybe), I noticed Microsoft have a lot of hype littered around the X-Box site. They often compare their console to the others and say it is better.

So is this because they are running scared or that they are truthfully trying to tell us that they will wipe the floor with the opposition. I reckon hyping a console and saying it is better than the others is not really the best way of going about getting me to buy the X-Box.

Better than the others eh? I think we will be the judges of that.
Sat 22/09/01 at 17:20
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Your Honour wrote:
> Acheron wrote:
> They often compare their console to the others and say it
> is better.

Because, of course, no other console manufacturer has ever said
> that before, have they. No. They've all released press statements saying things
> like "Nope, our console is crap, the others are far bettter, we're not sure
> why we're releasing on actually">

So is
> this because they are
> running scared or that they are truthfully trying to tell
> us that they
> will wipe the floor with the opposition. I reckon hyping a console
> and
> saying it is better than the others is not really the best way of going
>
> about getting me to buy the X-Box.

Because there was no hype around the PS2
> launch, was there? Or the N64 launch, or the DC launch. No, they were quiet
> little affairs that not many people knew about.

There wasn't much hype around the Gamecube launch in good old Nippon!!!
Sat 22/09/01 at 13:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Original games for Xbox? Look no furter than Jetsetradio Future.

Make your way to xbox.ign.com. Its full of exciting news about the console and news about all the games that are on there way.
Sat 22/09/01 at 02:23
Being my first choice I would buy the Gamecube. Normally I buy a console on launch date. I did with N64, DC and PS2 and GBA. I will the same with Gamecube, but i'm not so sure with the xbox. I will consider it if I see original quality games, which I have not seen so far.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:38
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
I would still never buy anything just for games. I would buy it for graphics and if it was made by Nintendo.

Ill shut up now.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:37
Regular
Lord Semajal wrote:
You would buy a £250+ console to play ONE game.

Have you taken
> your pills today?

Why not?

People have bought the PS2 just for MGS2 and GT3.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:34
Lord Semajal wrote:
> Super Gohan wrote:
> I am interested in the Xbox, because of Dead or Alive 3
> and rumours of a Bruce
> Lee games being available. I don't care what
> console it is, if there is a Bruce
> Lee game on it, then I will buy
> it.

Have you taken
> your pills today?

First of all, I said I was interested in the Xbox, because of the TWO games. I would not buy the console for just two games. When more information has come out on other games, I will make my decision.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:31
Regular
Nintendo seem to have put relatively little hype other than show off their games at big conferences.

So why is there a lot of hype surrounding this console?

Because of the swarms of crazy Nintendo fanatics awaiting it.

Microsoft and Sony have done more hyping themselves.

As for Microsoft, one spokes person had the cheek to dissmiss the Gamecube as a kiddies console for little kids.

You know what that told me?
That this guy knows squate about gaming and just picked up the nearest stereotype at hand.

If I remember rightly, he also used the stereotype about the PS2 being a sequel station.

Still, I won't judge Microsoft by one ill informed twonk.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:29
Well, originally the green thing in the demonstration big X shaped boxes was actually a lava lamp... that required so much power it blew mant fuses!

But anyway...

The Xbox has lots going for it. Many excellent games, with top developers on board. Ok- nothing over Ninty and Sony so far... except for a HUGE budget. Which is exactly how sony broke into the market with the PSX 6 years ago.

The fact is that, as it stands, the Xbox could do for MS what the PSX did for Sony
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:28
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Super Gohan wrote:
> I am interested in the Xbox, because of Dead or Alive 3 and rumours of a Bruce
> Lee games being available. I don't care what console it is, if there is a Bruce
> Lee game on it, then I will buy it.

Have you taken your pills today?
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:27
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
sorry bout typo should have said Xbox but who cares?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.