GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who Will Be Next To Fall????"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/09/01 at 13:26
Regular
This may be seen as a console wars topic but it isn't really.

With Sega out of buisness and Microsoft joining the 3 way console race it makes me wonder. Who will fall next.

Nintendo look the weakest so far but they are known and will have faithful people buying their consoles and that could save them.

Sony don't really look ready to fall yet. The PSX sold out the N64 by nearly 3 times as many copies and the PS2 is having a good time right now in the market.

Which leaves us with Microsoft and their X-Box. Remember what happened to the 3DO. the last american console. It plummeted and lots millions of $ for the US. Microsoft is an American console and it is up against the giants of the computer games world. Nintendo who have been in the battle for decades and Sony who will get lots of people supporting them because of the succsess of the PSX. So can it stay alive in the battle.

My thoughts are that even though the GC looks good and I may get one I think that it will be the worst selling but Nintendo will stay in it with their handheld greatness.

I predict that just like in the last wars, which the GBC won I think that the GBA will too.

That was awfully console warish wasn't ti? oops.
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:23
Regular
i dont think micro soft will fail because bill gates is absolutely loaded but sony have all the backing of me and every one else
Sat 22/09/01 at 23:44
I think that if there is to be another console makers crash (and I don't think there will be), it will be Sony on MS. The reason is simply that they have the same market targetted, the same advertising stratagy, the same style of games etc etc etc.

HOWEVER, the PS2 has already sold enough consoles to be hailed as a success, and with the advertising, MS will no doubt get a healthy shar of the market... so the market is big enough to support both consoles, and they will both survive.
Sat 22/09/01 at 23:44
I think that if there is to be another console makers crash (and I don't think there will be), it will be Sony on MS. The reason is simply that they have the same market targetted, the same advertising stratagy, the same style of games etc etc etc.

HOWEVER, the PS2 has already sold enough consoles to be hailed as a success, and with the advertising, MS will no doubt get a healthy shar of the market... so the market is big enough to support both consoles, and they will both surive.
Sat 22/09/01 at 16:33
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Even Microsoft with billionaire + Bill Gates would struggle to buy out Nintendo and Sony and all the games makers working for them.
Sat 22/09/01 at 14:47
If (IF) the X-Box failed then Microsoft would simply buy out Nintendo or The Sony Playsation division of Sony and rebrand the PSX3 or Gamecube 2 the Microst PSX3 or Microsoft gamecube 2.
If they couldn't do the former then they would simply make a cloned PSX2 make it better than the original and use the profits to pay Sony in an out of court settelment (after Sony sued them).
Sat 22/09/01 at 13:44
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
PS2 is the only 128bit console over here? What? Does the words dreamcast ring a bell?!

Anyway someone was on about the Xbox loses money for every console that is sold. The fact is EVERY up and coming console loses money on the hardware. Its the software, thats where the profits are made.

I think it will be a 3 way tie. The Xbox will be hugely successful in america and I think will do quite well in europe. The PS2 will be the most successful in Japan and I think the GC will sell quite well the world over.
Fri 21/09/01 at 22:10
At the moment PS2 is doing well, and because it is the only 128-bit console available over here at the moment. there is no console war as of yet. But when the Gamecube and Xbox are released, we shall see who comes out on top.
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:41
Regular
Personally, I think that the PS2 will outsell the Gamecube but Nintendo will make more profit.

Why?

Sony are selling their console at a large loss. All their profit comes through a small percentage of other peoples games. That's still a large amount.

Nintendo's console is more cost efficient and doesn't make such a loss.
What's more, just about EVERY person who buys a Gamecube is likely to buy Nintendo games mostly, like Zelda and Mario, meaning that the big N will make more profit with less console sales, but more sales of their own game.

They too get a small percentage from third party publishers too.

And if the PS2 STILL manages to make more profit than the Gamecube...

... well, it'll never outsell the GBA.
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:35
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
And you must be a bit dim not to know what a PSX was.
Fri 21/09/01 at 21:33
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I was saying that Sony are attracting more worldwide attention than Nintendo and Microsoft will get the selling done in America which is the most important place for selling games as it is the biggest.

GBA will win but I am saying that I am not sure about GC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.