GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buffy: Chaos Bleeds impressions...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds'.
Mon 15/09/03 at 16:21
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
After the superb outing on the Xbox, us Gamecube owners might of felt a little left out! However Buffy the Vampire Slayer Chaos Bleeds is heading to the UK soon and slaying all of the competition (if there's any out there?), so is it worth getting? Or should Buffy go sleep with the Vampire's? Find out Now!

Graphics:
Buffy's Xbox outing didn't have the best graphics i've seen in a game and sadly the sequel doesn't upgrade on this that much either. Of course most levels have to be dark (which is a disadvantage) because the game is set in a time when Vampires rule the earth and they hate light, so no sunny levels here! However one level which is partly set in a cinema is very nice indeed and even though the game is always dark, it's still rather pretty. Not Out of this world but no terrible either. The characters have become more cartoony this time round, and instead of fitting in with the level seem to pop-out more then expected due to for example 'Willow's bright colours. Face animation is pretty poor during the game (in the Xbox version, Buffy's face would screw up when fighting or screaming) and the cut-scences aren't fantastic either, but they certainly fit PERFECT when copying the Buffy TV series. 7/10

Sound:
Very nice, Buffy sounds like Buffy (even though she didn't do the voice over) and it's nice to know that the rest of the actors/actresses took time out to do the voices for the game, as it makes for a more realistic experience. Buffy's little one-liners are back and i have to be honest i did find some of them funny! The music is pretty good, some extremly eerie, and i'm positive that they have took some of the Tomb Raider AOD music from the 'Paris' section and thrown it in here! The fighting noises are OK, but could of been better. 8/10

Controls:
Very Good, it might take you sometime to get used to the many different characters you control, but after that it's a breeze, you'll be a slayer in no time at all! 9/10

Gameplay:
Buffy wins hands-down in the gameplay section due to the fact that the fighting never gets boring! There's well over 150 moves and combinations and loads of weaponary, including a spade, sword and Axe type thing! Willow uses very weak kicks and punches but it's her magic that makes her one of the better characters, Buffy is you all rounder who likes Kung-Fu kicks etc.. Spike is hard as nails as he uses his fist or normally a sword to defeat there opponents and there are many more characters to add depth. The puzzles are your typical find the key to open the door, save civilians, push buttons and find secrets but it's just the way it all blends in to make a nearly perfect gaming experince! It hardly ever gets boring, only when you find a dead end and it takes you a little while to find where your meant to go, is a little bit tedious, but due to it's humour, many secrets to unlock (including multi-player characters, interview with the stars and gallery pics etc..) you just want to keep playing. Oh and the levels are quite HUGE. 10/10

Multiplayer:
Quite dissapointing but think of this as an extra and you'll be quite happy! I wouldn't buy this game on the multiplayer itself due to the fact that i believe you would stop playing it quickly. Sadly you need to open up most of the multi-player levels, so i'm basing it on the tiddly little level you must fight in (called the Zoo), it's pathetic really, i was expecting a Huge multiplaer arena that you must run around to catch different coloured rabbits for example (one of the mini-games is to catch rabbits to win points), but no you get at least 25 rabbits running around a little area, which makes the game so easy, and so boring.... The fighting doesn't even save day because most of the moves in the 1P you can't do! Nevermind. 5/10

Lifespan:
You would expect Buffy to be quite a short game but it isn't (thankfully) each world takes at least 45 minutes to complete (and that's with me kind of knowing what i was doing) i'm guessing there is 15 levels so 15x45minutes! You do the maths. So Buffy is a very big game and that's without unlocking all the secrets that you must find in each level! Brilliant. 10/10

Conclusion:
Overall Buffy is a very good game which could of been better if the multiplayer was a tad more exciting. Both Buffy fans and non Buffy fans could enjoy it and the unlockable secrets and different characters you play with add depth. Is it better then the first outing on the Xbox version you ask? Well NO. The simple reason why is because it does nothing new to the game series at all and it is that 'Well i've seen it all before type of game' reasons why it's better is that you'll play with most of the characters, otherwise that's it. HOWEVER putting that beside, it is a very good game, which hardly has any faults in the gameplay what so ever, so i highly recommend it! 90% :)
Mon 15/09/03 at 16:21
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
After the superb outing on the Xbox, us Gamecube owners might of felt a little left out! However Buffy the Vampire Slayer Chaos Bleeds is heading to the UK soon and slaying all of the competition (if there's any out there?), so is it worth getting? Or should Buffy go sleep with the Vampire's? Find out Now!

Graphics:
Buffy's Xbox outing didn't have the best graphics i've seen in a game and sadly the sequel doesn't upgrade on this that much either. Of course most levels have to be dark (which is a disadvantage) because the game is set in a time when Vampires rule the earth and they hate light, so no sunny levels here! However one level which is partly set in a cinema is very nice indeed and even though the game is always dark, it's still rather pretty. Not Out of this world but no terrible either. The characters have become more cartoony this time round, and instead of fitting in with the level seem to pop-out more then expected due to for example 'Willow's bright colours. Face animation is pretty poor during the game (in the Xbox version, Buffy's face would screw up when fighting or screaming) and the cut-scences aren't fantastic either, but they certainly fit PERFECT when copying the Buffy TV series. 7/10

Sound:
Very nice, Buffy sounds like Buffy (even though she didn't do the voice over) and it's nice to know that the rest of the actors/actresses took time out to do the voices for the game, as it makes for a more realistic experience. Buffy's little one-liners are back and i have to be honest i did find some of them funny! The music is pretty good, some extremly eerie, and i'm positive that they have took some of the Tomb Raider AOD music from the 'Paris' section and thrown it in here! The fighting noises are OK, but could of been better. 8/10

Controls:
Very Good, it might take you sometime to get used to the many different characters you control, but after that it's a breeze, you'll be a slayer in no time at all! 9/10

Gameplay:
Buffy wins hands-down in the gameplay section due to the fact that the fighting never gets boring! There's well over 150 moves and combinations and loads of weaponary, including a spade, sword and Axe type thing! Willow uses very weak kicks and punches but it's her magic that makes her one of the better characters, Buffy is you all rounder who likes Kung-Fu kicks etc.. Spike is hard as nails as he uses his fist or normally a sword to defeat there opponents and there are many more characters to add depth. The puzzles are your typical find the key to open the door, save civilians, push buttons and find secrets but it's just the way it all blends in to make a nearly perfect gaming experince! It hardly ever gets boring, only when you find a dead end and it takes you a little while to find where your meant to go, is a little bit tedious, but due to it's humour, many secrets to unlock (including multi-player characters, interview with the stars and gallery pics etc..) you just want to keep playing. Oh and the levels are quite HUGE. 10/10

Multiplayer:
Quite dissapointing but think of this as an extra and you'll be quite happy! I wouldn't buy this game on the multiplayer itself due to the fact that i believe you would stop playing it quickly. Sadly you need to open up most of the multi-player levels, so i'm basing it on the tiddly little level you must fight in (called the Zoo), it's pathetic really, i was expecting a Huge multiplaer arena that you must run around to catch different coloured rabbits for example (one of the mini-games is to catch rabbits to win points), but no you get at least 25 rabbits running around a little area, which makes the game so easy, and so boring.... The fighting doesn't even save day because most of the moves in the 1P you can't do! Nevermind. 5/10

Lifespan:
You would expect Buffy to be quite a short game but it isn't (thankfully) each world takes at least 45 minutes to complete (and that's with me kind of knowing what i was doing) i'm guessing there is 15 levels so 15x45minutes! You do the maths. So Buffy is a very big game and that's without unlocking all the secrets that you must find in each level! Brilliant. 10/10

Conclusion:
Overall Buffy is a very good game which could of been better if the multiplayer was a tad more exciting. Both Buffy fans and non Buffy fans could enjoy it and the unlockable secrets and different characters you play with add depth. Is it better then the first outing on the Xbox version you ask? Well NO. The simple reason why is because it does nothing new to the game series at all and it is that 'Well i've seen it all before type of game' reasons why it's better is that you'll play with most of the characters, otherwise that's it. HOWEVER putting that beside, it is a very good game, which hardly has any faults in the gameplay what so ever, so i highly recommend it! 90% :)
Mon 15/09/03 at 18:26
Regular
Are you feeling okay?
Mon 15/09/03 at 20:54
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Yep, i'm fine.
Tue 16/09/03 at 00:10
Regular
I thought the original was fun in places, but for the most part completly guff. This is supposed to be no better so I'll be giving it a wide birth.
Tue 16/09/03 at 00:29
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I thought the original was fun in places, but for the most part
> completly guff. This is supposed to be no better so I'll be giving it
> a wide birth.

I agree with this Tilt... but your overall pessemistic and agressive mood as of late surprises me...

care to explain?

It be the X-box... it has warped your happy mushroom filled orgy now hasn't it?
Tue 16/09/03 at 00:33
Regular
Not really anymore cynical than usual, though I am slowly getting tired of Nintendo's foolishness.

Luckily though I won't be having to deal with the retards at Nintendo Europe anymore, recently sold my PAL Cube and got myself a spanky new Platinum US Cube.

Xbox Live though has got it's filthy hands on me and I haven't played any offline games properly for a long time now. This should change though when I get my hands on Simpsons Hit and Run later this week.
Tue 16/09/03 at 00:34
Regular
Enjoyed the first but too many other top games to get on all 3 consoles. This one shall be avoided as a purchase but it is apparently completable in a rental.
Tue 16/09/03 at 00:36
Regular
I am also suspicous about the 90% rating. You either:

a) Haven't played it enough.

b) are a Buffy fan.

c) Haven't played a semi-decent game in a while so you thought you would go over the top with this one :)
Tue 16/09/03 at 00:39
Regular
seems a very strange review to me...

And surly Nintendo's foolishness is Nintendo's business...

Release dates of games are delayed so much in Europe because that way the release schedule is less cluttered and can cash in on certain markets...

Why there were no major titles for the 'cube's first christmas is beyond me... should have delayed Sunshine.

On the other hand why should I care... it doesn't effect my sales and Nintendo seem to always do something to pull the sales enough to keep on fighting.
Tue 16/09/03 at 00:52
Regular
The reviews I have read so far are completely the opposite to what he has said. Very very strange...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.