GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Buffy: Chaos Bleeds impressions...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds'.
Mon 15/09/03 at 16:21
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
After the superb outing on the Xbox, us Gamecube owners might of felt a little left out! However Buffy the Vampire Slayer Chaos Bleeds is heading to the UK soon and slaying all of the competition (if there's any out there?), so is it worth getting? Or should Buffy go sleep with the Vampire's? Find out Now!

Graphics:
Buffy's Xbox outing didn't have the best graphics i've seen in a game and sadly the sequel doesn't upgrade on this that much either. Of course most levels have to be dark (which is a disadvantage) because the game is set in a time when Vampires rule the earth and they hate light, so no sunny levels here! However one level which is partly set in a cinema is very nice indeed and even though the game is always dark, it's still rather pretty. Not Out of this world but no terrible either. The characters have become more cartoony this time round, and instead of fitting in with the level seem to pop-out more then expected due to for example 'Willow's bright colours. Face animation is pretty poor during the game (in the Xbox version, Buffy's face would screw up when fighting or screaming) and the cut-scences aren't fantastic either, but they certainly fit PERFECT when copying the Buffy TV series. 7/10

Sound:
Very nice, Buffy sounds like Buffy (even though she didn't do the voice over) and it's nice to know that the rest of the actors/actresses took time out to do the voices for the game, as it makes for a more realistic experience. Buffy's little one-liners are back and i have to be honest i did find some of them funny! The music is pretty good, some extremly eerie, and i'm positive that they have took some of the Tomb Raider AOD music from the 'Paris' section and thrown it in here! The fighting noises are OK, but could of been better. 8/10

Controls:
Very Good, it might take you sometime to get used to the many different characters you control, but after that it's a breeze, you'll be a slayer in no time at all! 9/10

Gameplay:
Buffy wins hands-down in the gameplay section due to the fact that the fighting never gets boring! There's well over 150 moves and combinations and loads of weaponary, including a spade, sword and Axe type thing! Willow uses very weak kicks and punches but it's her magic that makes her one of the better characters, Buffy is you all rounder who likes Kung-Fu kicks etc.. Spike is hard as nails as he uses his fist or normally a sword to defeat there opponents and there are many more characters to add depth. The puzzles are your typical find the key to open the door, save civilians, push buttons and find secrets but it's just the way it all blends in to make a nearly perfect gaming experince! It hardly ever gets boring, only when you find a dead end and it takes you a little while to find where your meant to go, is a little bit tedious, but due to it's humour, many secrets to unlock (including multi-player characters, interview with the stars and gallery pics etc..) you just want to keep playing. Oh and the levels are quite HUGE. 10/10

Multiplayer:
Quite dissapointing but think of this as an extra and you'll be quite happy! I wouldn't buy this game on the multiplayer itself due to the fact that i believe you would stop playing it quickly. Sadly you need to open up most of the multi-player levels, so i'm basing it on the tiddly little level you must fight in (called the Zoo), it's pathetic really, i was expecting a Huge multiplaer arena that you must run around to catch different coloured rabbits for example (one of the mini-games is to catch rabbits to win points), but no you get at least 25 rabbits running around a little area, which makes the game so easy, and so boring.... The fighting doesn't even save day because most of the moves in the 1P you can't do! Nevermind. 5/10

Lifespan:
You would expect Buffy to be quite a short game but it isn't (thankfully) each world takes at least 45 minutes to complete (and that's with me kind of knowing what i was doing) i'm guessing there is 15 levels so 15x45minutes! You do the maths. So Buffy is a very big game and that's without unlocking all the secrets that you must find in each level! Brilliant. 10/10

Conclusion:
Overall Buffy is a very good game which could of been better if the multiplayer was a tad more exciting. Both Buffy fans and non Buffy fans could enjoy it and the unlockable secrets and different characters you play with add depth. Is it better then the first outing on the Xbox version you ask? Well NO. The simple reason why is because it does nothing new to the game series at all and it is that 'Well i've seen it all before type of game' reasons why it's better is that you'll play with most of the characters, otherwise that's it. HOWEVER putting that beside, it is a very good game, which hardly has any faults in the gameplay what so ever, so i highly recommend it! 90% :)
Fri 19/09/03 at 15:13
Regular
"8==="
Pretty good... But

> I'm a great fan of the series of Buffy,

A lot of people will stop reading there. :)
Fri 19/09/03 at 12:02
Regular
"everyone says it"
Its great fun.

Read ma hands on from ECTS -

'Chaos not only Bleeds. It also reigns supreme.
I'm a great fan of the series of Buffy, so any computer game based on the now finished series will make me smile. However, I am a harsh gamer and things need to impress me to warrant a purchase. Here at ECTS I gave Buffy a thirty minute spin, running through all the different characters and getting a general feel for the game from the beginning.

If you have played the original on the XBox, you will have been thankful that the creators kept the storyline and characters to their series parallel. It seems they have done the same here, basing Chaos Bleeds around a new storyline (a lot like a whole series) but still keeping to the familar conventions of the Buffy universe. Spike keeps saying 'bloody', Xander makes wisecracks, and Buffy just looks like a pixelated but still gorgeous version of the real thing. Not that this small detail will make the game any more entertaining... really.

The visuals have improved and the engine seems to run a lot smoother than the predecessor. Along with this major improvement the most noticeable difference is the feel and interaction between yourself and the game. A two player battle mode is now within the game, and the four different playable characters really do add to a different feel. It's all a great load of fun.

I only completed the first level, which drops you straight into the game without the training the first one had, but one thing's for sure: this doesn't seem to want to let the Buffy fans down. Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds may just be what will keep us Buffy fans sober after the conclusion of the aired series. This is going to be a very good cult game.

- By Joby Stephens ''
Wed 17/09/03 at 21:22
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> If I rated the majority of games in the first hour I bought them then
> they'd probably receive about 85% +.
>
> Only after long sessions can I really rate something.
>
> Anyway, who really cares? he's obviously enjoying himself and that's
> all that matters.

Thankyou. I am enjoying myself! Wise Words.... :)
Wed 17/09/03 at 21:19
Regular
"Rasmus R The Best!"
No i'm still here! :) It is my review and again my opinion but i am going to keep it at the 90% mark! I have had the game since Monday and haven't stopped playing it! It's one of those pick up and play games! Anyway didn't the first Buffy on xbox get 90% in Gamesmaster magazine? I'm even thinking now that's it's better then the Xbox version (now that i'm able to play as a dummy :D) but i will not raise the % due to this (obviously). I wouldn't say it's a average game, perhaps you all should rent it when it comes out in the UK before purchasing it to make sure! Hope you found my first impressions interesting..... :)
Tue 16/09/03 at 21:17
Regular
This looked utter balls from the footage I saw.
Tue 16/09/03 at 19:48
Regular
"8==="
I'll pick it up when it goes to 15 quid like the last one.
Tue 16/09/03 at 13:43
Regular
Indeed, but funny how he's dissapeared and not replied to your comments.
Tue 16/09/03 at 11:09
Regular
If I rated the majority of games in the first hour I bought them then they'd probably receive about 85% +.

Only after long sessions can I really rate something.

Anyway, who really cares? he's obviously enjoying himself and that's all that matters.
Tue 16/09/03 at 01:44
Regular
Ah yeah indeed... it is why I wait till I've played most of the game.
Tue 16/09/03 at 01:02
Regular
No, just the amount of time he has spent playing it. I for one judge games very quickly (Nightfire for one) and then realise later that I rated it far too highly. It very rarely works the other way round as I always start off positively. From other reviews I have read his statements didn't really match up with what the core gameplay supposedly consists of. Just dubious as to how long he has played it rather than anything else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.