GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wanted: New ideas, experience in originality needed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/09/01 at 20:41
Regular
Déja vú. Something that I feel a lot of when I see new games these days. Its like this, you start playing a game and suddenly you notice a cool feature of the game. Then you realise something,..... its been done before. Reality hits you and suddenly all of the idea is lost and just seems second hand.

This is where the title of the topic comes into play. Games nowadays need new ideas and they need them fast. Maybe casual gamers don't notice what I am saying, but for most of you on these forums it is very obvious. Game designers just seem to have run out of ideas. People like Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideo Kojima can't keep bringing us inventive and original game ideas and features.

Shiger Miyamoto has his game Pikmin, GAMECUBE bound and this game should change the way we look at real time strategy games. Whever this new formula will be a hit I can't say (mainly because I don't like RTS games) because it is a new idea and I cant really compare this title to anything. Mind you, on Shigerus past efforts its plain to see that this game will be good to say the least.

Then we have Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid and the upcoming MGS2. Although MGS2 can't be totally original, its a sequel obviously, it can be original in other less noticeable points. Anyone who has played the demo will know what I mean. First thing first, it has added a first person mode to an essentially 3rd person game. Good choice? I think it was a great choice! Ever shot a wine bottle in a game (a lá Perfect Dark) and wished it broke realistically and the wine flowed? Well in MGS2 this is exactly what happens. It is little touches like this that I feel make this game original and breathes new life into the Stealth/action genre.

The trouble is that these two geniuses can't keep it up forever. Eventually the river that is their ideas for games will dry up and it will be up to someone else to make sure the river makes it to the sea. But who will these people be?

New companies are being made all the time, new companies are going bankrupt all the time, but along with them, creative minds are being discovered. Take for example Rare. A third of the Goldeneye team left the company and yet they managed to create the game that we all know as Perfect Dark. So who was it that made it? Surely with a third of the team missing new people had to take their place. Did they make a difference? Did anyone get added in the first place? Whatever happened worked well.

Now I will ask you a question. Who are the most promising new developers/individual minds? Will they make a difference to the games we play? But more importantly, will they bring with them something new, fresh and original?
Fri 21/09/01 at 19:09
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
The queston is, do todays gamers want original games?

A year doesnt go by when a sequal of a previous game is released.some examples of this are the EA sports titles (fifa etc), crash bandicoot, WWF, and so many more. Most people who own the previous instalment in the game series, will read up and take in all the hype,post messages about the game and when released rush out to buy it (or preorder it).Then the same people will come on the internet or write to a magazine and say 'games are not original anymore, i want something new'.

I like original things as much as the next guy,but i have learned from experience that:

original doesnt always = greatness

Some games companies try to be brave and release something new,sometimes these original games have been big hits,but a lot of the time they have been a miss.

Japan have a lot of original games,most of which dont even make it to our shores.why? because people here dont want them,they want an updated version of what there used to playing.If they did come over i think they would be negleted and over looked by un-original games.
Take parraper the rapper (or how every you spell it), it was a HUGH hit over in Japan,so popular there is even a Tv show of it.But back here in rainy old England, a few people liked it,and enjoyed it for a week or 2,but others mocked it and kept playing their tomb raider games.

simpsons road rage,basiacly its just crazy taxi with a hint of simpsons.but i know i will buy it even though i have crazy taxi and i think most of you will buy it aswel.

People are always saying 'this games just like that one'.in these cases usualy the game that has been 'copied' was a game that was a hit,worked and played well,and was enjoyable and fun.so shouldnt the new game be as well?
recent examples of this is tony hawks and matt hoffman.

so i ask you are you shore you want something new and original?

and let me ask you this,when smackdown 3, tony hawks 3,gta 3, ssx tricky and all those so called un-original games are released, will you buy them, or pass them up for something new?

CHRIS
Fri 21/09/01 at 18:18
Regular
Sorry to do this but.....I won! I won!
Fri 21/09/01 at 10:49
Regular
All truly ground braking games are original.
They tend ot be titles you don't really see coming.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to Monkey Ball.
That looks really good.
Thu 20/09/01 at 17:33
Regular
What about a futuristic racer, like XG but with missions like riddles e.g. destoying something but your mission says it in a riddle so no only you have to win the race you have to figure out the riddle and find the target, but if a game like this was made too hard it would just go down the sink.
Thu 20/09/01 at 15:31
Regular
Ah well I see no one read this last night, maybe more people will be interested now.....POP!
Wed 19/09/01 at 21:01
Regular
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:
> hi , you new here vektor ???

Check my stats mate......I just haven't posted here much. Only just remembered I even registered.
Wed 19/09/01 at 20:59
Regular
pop pop pop pop pop corn
Wed 19/09/01 at 20:59
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
hi , you new here vektor ??? ;-)
Wed 19/09/01 at 20:56
Regular
Hmm you sort of get it, but its not so much sequels being original I want to focus on. Its more the developers. NEw minds need to be discovered if we are to continualy get new ideas into the future. Peter Molyneux for example, but the problem is, he isn't particularily young, its just he has become more known recently.
Wed 19/09/01 at 20:52
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I can see what your saying this is always the case with sequels they have things that ave been done already you end up playing in different worlds or whatever but your doing the same thing. It's going to be hard to find something new to do in a FPS say what things could actually be done to change it without changing the format?

At least with new consoles and computers new things can be done and 'good' games developers are always trying to come up with original ideas for their games nowadays. It would be hard to put something new in say an F1 game that wasn't similar to before thats why only frame rate, smoothness, graphics and updated teams, drivers and so on are the only real differences between F1 games.

:D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.