GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Costs?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 20/09/03 at 23:59
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
How much does it cost to go online with the PS2.

I mean this in a cost per month sense, not all the hardware rubbish.

you see, I, Tribute, Ninty fanboy supreme, am getting a PS2 tomorrow (or not soon after), and am thinking of getting US Navy Seals and a hardrive with it.

So can you inform me on how much it'd cost to play US Navy Seals online?

Ta.
Sun 21/09/03 at 20:26
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
Just like your mam!

ROFLMAO!
Mon 22/09/03 at 08:56
"For the horde!!!!"
Pyonth wrote:
> You are obviously being sarcastiqué

er no it was a genuine question
Mon 22/09/03 at 12:55
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Fiery Salamander wrote:
> no online costs? not even ISP costs?

So far only NTL have tried to charge extra (£5 a month I believe) for hooking up a PS2 to their broadband network instead of your computer. If you want to avoid the charge just set up ICS or a router and 'tweak' your settings a little, NTL will never know the difference.

If you want to factor in all the costs to get a PS2 online it's something like:

£180 worth of hardware
£25 per month broadband charges which you've always paid anyhow (unless you're getting broadband SPECIFICALLY to play your PS2 online)
£1,000 or so for your PC that you already got/going to get as you've got broadband
£35,000 for your education so far
£10,000 a year for food, housing etc.
£30 for a game

How far back would you like to go?
Mon 22/09/03 at 15:34
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
The craziest Col! wrote:

> I may not be the best player in the world, but guys like laker,
> fantasy meister and manic myna would admit I am not a pushover.

True, i've only played with you a few times but you were very good those times. Didn't i see you around like 60 in the rankings anyway? Very well done if it was you.

I don't play too much and changed my names due to different bloody clans so i'd have been in the top 1000 at least with the laker name if i had stuck with it.

Ah well onto Everquest now for my online needs when it comes out
Mon 22/09/03 at 20:26
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
I doubt I'm going to go online after all - I've recognised my need for Ratchet, Clank, Jak and Dakter.
Mon 22/09/03 at 23:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Notorious Biggles wrote:

> No monthly costs. You have your headset fee and that's you.

But after a year you need to pay another subscription fee for the XBox service. So basically at the moment XBox Live is £40 a year. You do get to download levels and etc stuff as well though. Personnaly I havent been on XBox Live for a good 10 months. I was on the Beta so paid my £40 and got a nice carry case and limited editon orange memory card. I played it alot the first few months so got my moneys worth. Wont bother re-subscribing as I never play it. Personnaly I think PS2 online is better for the casual gamer as you just buy your adapter, buy a game and then play it and not worry about subscription charges. If you dont use it that much your not wasting money on nothing.
Mon 22/09/03 at 23:26
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
I'm not 'casual', or I wouldn't class myself as.

Although I'm not hardcore.

I'm average.

A;lthough I do have my own site.
Tue 23/09/03 at 10:17
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Pyonth wrote:
> I'm not 'casual', or I wouldn't class myself as.
>
> Although I'm not hardcore.
>
> I'm average.
>
> A;lthough I do have my own site.

What I meant to say Casual online gamer. I think that if you dont play games online often the PS2 is probably better. To be honest I would rather play a single player for 80% of the time rather than going online. Games like SOCOM are amazing online as there just like the single player experience but some arent. Depends really whether you want to spend £40 to get XBox Live for a year and then have to pay monthly or yearly after that. XBox Live has more features and is probably a better way of doing an online console. But PS2 costs nothing apart from the adaptor.
Tue 23/09/03 at 20:32
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
The online gaming idea is off.

I have to many PS2 games to buy with too little money.

Bizatch.
Tue 23/09/03 at 21:03
" Crazy!"
lalakersrule wrote:
> The craziest Col! wrote:
>
> I may not be the best player in the world, but guys like laker,
> fantasy meister and manic myna would admit I am not a pushover.
>
>
> True, i've only played with you a few times but you were very good
> those times. Didn't i see you around like 60 in the rankings anyway?
> Very well done if it was you.
>
> I don't play too much and changed my names due to different bloody
> clans so i'd have been in the top 1000 at least with the laker name
> if i had stuck with it.
>
> Ah well onto Everquest now for my online needs when it comes out

Was just going to quote certain, part but copy and paste is too tiring.

My rank is 60, but as my game is lagging soooo abd, Im cutting down on socom, goign to hopefully get a disk cleaner, as I believe that is the problem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.