GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamespy's 25 most over rated games of all time..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/09/03 at 19:54
Regular
http://www.gamespy.com/articles /september03/25overrated/

Officially they are idiots!

Agreed some of them on there are over rated however I can't seriously believe some of their choices.

Your thoughts?
Tue 23/09/03 at 09:00
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
> 25. Neverwinter Nights - Good god, have they lost their mind. An utterly brilliant game that will steal more hours of your life than cancer.
> 24. Super Mario Sunshine - Stupid infantile heathens. A great game.
> 23. Battle Arena Toshinden - thought it was rubbish. Never liked it.
> 22. Starfleet Command Series - Never played.
> 21. Morrowind - Moronic imbeciles - this game is utterly absorbing.
> 20. Impossible Creatures - Never played.
> 19. Battlecruiser 3000AD - Never played.
> 18. American McGee's Alice - Never played.
> 17. The Getaway - Agree totally. Unrealistic and flawed.
> 16. Mortal Kombat - Great game for its' time but quite boring these days.
> 15. Dungeon Siege - Never played.
> 14. Dead or Alive 3 - Pretty good. Hardly ground breaking.
> 13. Battletoads - it was ok but hardly overrated. It not brilliant anyway.
> 12. Unreal II: The Awakening - Never played.
> 11. Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - Never played.
> 10. Halo - Erm...what planet are they on?
> 9. Donkey Kong Country - Great game. Foolish cretins.
> 8. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness - Played it around my mate's house and thought it was appalling.
> 7. Final Fantasy VII - I thought it was fantastic when I first played it. Now it just grates on me.
> 6. Blinx: The Time Sweeper - absolute toss.
> 5. Quake II - it was good, not really overrated.
> 4. Daikatana - Played it on the N64 and it was crap.
> 3. Enter The Matrix - definitely
> 2. Metal Gear Solid 2: yes, I thought it was poor.
> 1. Black & White - yes
Tue 23/09/03 at 09:09
Regular
"8==="
Morrowind - Gamespy know **** all.
Halo - See above comment
Enter The Matrix - True, but I expect they only worked this one out because you would have to be braindead not to.

I'm assuming they have brains.
Tue 23/09/03 at 09:26
Regular
I agree with some of them but FFVII and Donkey Kong Country? If anything DKC's underrated, it's one of the best platformers around yet not many people would ever compare it to the likes of Mario.

FFVII lives up to all its said to be. That's all that needs to be said.

I do, however, agree with Mario Sunshine.
Tue 23/09/03 at 09:31
Regular
the_aoe_slaught wrote:
> What a bunch of morons, Halo was anyhting but overrated.

Halo's an amazing game, but in many ways it is overrated. People do tend to give a lot of praise, which is deserved, but more often than not it's said to be the best game out today, which is not true.
Tue 23/09/03 at 09:41
Regular
"8==="
Halo's the only game I have where once it's finished I immediately want to start it again.

It is definately NOT over rated.
Tue 23/09/03 at 09:53
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Did you read why they thought Halo was overrated?

Sure, it is a cool game, with great guns, battles, vehicles, amazing looking levels, but my main gripe, along with some of the people from Gamespy, is that some of the levels just suck big time.

You can have all the fancy graphics, guns, blah blah blah, but if that isn't backed up by great level design, then the game can end up a tedious affair, and that happened quite a bit with Halo. Some of the repetition in some of the levels was awful, making the player trudge through samey corridor after samey corridor.

Yes it's a great game, but like all games, it ain't perfect.

Good to see Angel of Darkness, The Getaway and Enter the Matrix on the list, they suck.
Tue 23/09/03 at 10:05
Regular
"8==="
If you want to talk about FPS games with poor level design that were over-rated you could find a fair few to put on before Halo would make it (Time Splitters 2 for instance was hyped up and doesn't exactly blow you away with level design).
Tue 23/09/03 at 10:07
Regular
"8==="
I'd also put Half-life before Halo as over-rated. I found it had really quite poor gameplay and pointlessly tricky jumps. It was a nice movie though.
Tue 23/09/03 at 10:16
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I also though Timesplitters 2 was quite disappointing, it was good, but not the great game I was hoping for. GoldenEye is still the best console FPS for me though.

Half-Life was very good, but only up to a certain point. When you got transported to that alien planet it got a bit crap, and that final boss, pfft. The alien planet section just didn't do it for me.
Tue 23/09/03 at 11:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
FFVII?

Pffft, its like the best game ever made.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.