GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why buy a PS3? - The Reasons!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/03/07 at 11:15
"possibly impossible"
It’s a tough choice when a new console arrives. Do you buy it straight away or wait for loads of other people to have it first? How do you justify buying a PS3 when others tell you not to?

Maybe this list of reasons will help:

Early Adoption
A lot can be said for that feeling you get when you tell everyone you have the newest games console under your TV before loads of your friends. It’ll mean that they’ll suddenly be interested in popping around for a social call.

Although the cost of such an action is the initial sting of £425 (plus games, extra controllers etc) being snatched from your wallet, the added danger of having your house broken in to if you advertise it and the greater chance of launch machines going wrong, it could be seen as being worth it for the jealous glances you’ll get.

Using your PSP
Getting tired of Sony’s shiny handheld and its lack of games? Well, the PS3 can download PS1 games for the PSP and promises demos and even full games to download.

Of course, this could be achieved through the simple use of a downgrader and upgrading to a custom firmware (which also lets you play emulators), but if you want to be in Sony’s good books by doing it the less dubious way…

Availability
So the PS3 probably won’t disappear off shelves in the same way the Wii did. But that’s good, because you can leave your buying decision till the last minute, then just pop down the shops on launch day and buy one.

Of course, Sony would like you to thank them because it’s obviously all down to the way they marketed the machine that there are so many available, not due to lack of demand.

Gran Turismo HD
It looks almost real and probably handles like it too. GT HD looks superb and is great eye-candy for those visitors who just happened to pop round when they heard you had Sony’s newest machine.

It does, however, also mimic real life in that you have to pay real money to buy new cars and pay for roads. There is no truth to the rumour that Sony will also be charging road tax and insurance through their download service, though.

Resistance: Fall of Man
Resistance is certainly not futile, the launch game that everyone’s talking about.

Tired of complaining about the 360 being used for so many FPS games, Sony have come up with an FPS game at launch. However, it’s a very good one and probably an essential purchase alongside your new machine.

Download service
Aside from PSP downloads, Sony are trying to outdo Microsoft with full game downloads from their online service.

This includes a version of the PSP Tekken game and the previously scheduled for retail release Warhawk. While it could be said that a retail release moved to become a download game isn’t a good sign, It wouldn’t be me that said it…

However, signs are good for more releases.

Backward Compatibility
The hardware backward compatibility with PS1 and PS2 was considered too good, so Sony have decided to stay with software emulation for Europe. After all, if it worked for the 360. Not that Sony ever said a bad word about the 360 relying solely on software emulation, or anything.

Sony, however, say that ‘thousands’ of games work with it, so it should let you play Final Fantasy, shouldn’t it?

The Virtual Chatroom
Unsurprisingly, after seeing Second Life, Sony have created a neat idea where you use avatars that look like you and mii to interact with each other in a virtual 3D space online. Full of original ideas, that Sony.

This looks like it could be a great little utility for PS3 owners, as long as Sony don’t charge for it.

Bluray
You know you need it. Well, if you have an HD TV, decent sound setup and want to replace all your DVDs you do. Why not get it ‘free’ with your new console?

With all that extra space on the disc, you could be the proud owner of the whole of series 1 of Desperate Housewives on one Bluray disc.

Games Franchises
Forget about all those third parties who started out with exclusive games that are now appearing on a 360 near you, Sony have their own hot franchises to wow you. You won’t see Resistance, Gran Turismo or Warhawk on another console, to name but 3.
Mon 12/03/07 at 14:14
"possibly impossible"
Hedfix wrote:
> GamerTV did a full half-hour on Motorstorm. I think it did it
> more harm than good. It's basically like Vigilante 8 [an N64
> title) except with racing.
>
> They spent a lot of time showing us how the blew a ridiculous
> amount of money on shooting the opening sequence which, quite
> frankly, made the developers look like idiots with too much
> money using up-to-date technology simply because they could but
> not actually putting to good use.
>
> Wow.... next gen starts here...
>
> As for Resistance, it looked awful. Somehow it reminded me of
> Red Faction.
>
> Oh and then they ran down the top 10 PS3 games in the following
> program which went like this.
>
> 1-7 the same as they are on the 360.
> 8. Godfather - not worth re-visiting if you've already played
> another version.
> 9. Resistance (see above)
> 10. Motorstorm (see above)

Yep, saw that yesterday as well. I'm sure there are better games than those 10 out there. I HOPE there are better games.

Oh well, it should improve with the next lot of releases. If there are enough good, exclusive games for the PS3 in the future, I still might buy one. But with the current releases scheduled for launch and the price, I don't need one yet.
Mon 12/03/07 at 14:08
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6167180/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot[/URL]

Gamespot talks to Sony as if it's an 8-yearold. :D
Mon 12/03/07 at 13:49
Regular
"8==="
GamerTV did a full half-hour on Motorstorm. I think it did it more harm than good. It's basically like Vigilante 8 [an N64 title) except with racing.

They spent a lot of time showing us how the blew a ridiculous amount of money on shooting the opening sequence which, quite frankly, made the developers look like idiots with too much money using up-to-date technology simply because they could but not actually putting to good use.

Wow.... next gen starts here...

As for Resistance, it looked awful. Somehow it reminded me of Red Faction.

Oh and then they ran down the top 10 PS3 games in the following program which went like this.

1-7 the same as they are on the 360.
8. Godfather - not worth re-visiting if you've already played another version.
9. Resistance (see above)
10. Motorstorm (see above)
Mon 12/03/07 at 12:32
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I had a look through the release dates for games on play.com just to see what games actually interested me that wouldn't be (or aren't already) available on the consoles I own (360 and Wii).

Not many. Gran Turismo isn't out until 2008 so I'll not be rushing out anytime soon to part with my cash for a PS3.
I was a big PS2 and PS1 fan and got plenty of enjoyment from the majority of games that I own but this time it's going to take something extra special from sony to drag me away from the 360.
Mon 12/03/07 at 08:49
"possibly impossible"
Alfonse wrote:
> You ripped my style of post and used it for PS3. You better not
> win a GAD.

Your style? Bah, I've been writing posts like this for years. :D

But saying that, I shall now take more interest in your posts...
Mon 12/03/07 at 08:48
"possibly impossible"
spoonbeast wrote:

> EDIT: Incidently, are we suppose to take this post seriously PB?
> I mean it sounds almost like ironic sarcasm in some places.

Really? How strange...
Sat 10/03/07 at 21:55
Regular
"eat toast!"
I prefer to wait. Currently the first release of games for ps3 seems weak. It needs to mature a bit before i start seriously thinking of getting it.

PS3 will sell well, but it'll take sometime and would probably have sold less well then the ps2. The price is somewhat off putting. It'll be interesting to see if parents would really fork out that astonishing amount of money.

But we'll see. Most of the games on the ps3 don't excite or interest me. Nor does any on the WII or the xbox 360 for that matter. Nor do i have a HDTV...

EDIT: Incidently, are we suppose to take this post seriously PB? I mean it sounds almost like ironic sarcasm in some places.
Sat 10/03/07 at 18:48
Regular
You ripped my style of post and used it for PS3. You better not win a GAD.
Sat 10/03/07 at 10:52
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Maybe my memory is being selectively biased but I don't recall many threads from the past along the lines of "Why buy a PSOne? Why buy a PS2?"

Previously it was more or less taken as granted that everyone would know damn well why they'd want either console, so reasons didn't need to be listed.

So I Googled the following questions:

"Why buy a PS2?" got 3680 results
"Why buy an XBox 360?" got 378 results
"Why buy a PS3?" got 59200 results
(Dringo arsonist got 33 results but it's not what you think!)

It seems to me that people are seriously asking why they should buy a PS3 rather than asking the question rhetorically, but maybe I'm mis-interpreting.

Remember the days when all we wanted was an easy-to-use machine that allowed us to play games at home? To me the PS3 is more of an expensive gadget that does a million different things when all I really want it to do is play Resistance: Fall of Man as soon as I pop the disc in.

I was nearly convinced on the PS3, it will undoubtedly play games, and good games too. But my biggest beef these days is companies releasing 50% of a game at full price then asking you for more money for the rest of the content (there are some on the XBox 360 currently, Phantasy Star Universe is an outstanding example). Gran Turismo HD's financial model put me off Sony quite a few months ago, not to mention the fact that I don't have HD.

Sony's general apathy when it came to patching games on the PS2 kinda put a nail in the coffin for them. We used to go ballistic at Sony during the Network Beta Trials for their attitude of "Hey, it works online, lets release it despite the 15 pages of bug reports from the beta testers highlighting issues that we already know about and fix it later."

The way Sony seem to think Europe consists of a completely different breed of gamer requiring special treatment compared to the rest of the world kinda nails the lid shut and buries them six feet under.

Here lies Sony Entertainment
1995-2007
Sadly Missed (the PS2 HDD in Europe, global launch dates, PAL conversion deadlines, the point of a consistent online experience, the licence application for Dual-Shock)
Gone but not Forgotten (unless you're playing GTA on the 360)
Rest in Pixels (like some of your PSP screens)

I just read this back and can't believe how incredibly biased it all sounds. So I thought about maybe rewording some of it, but couldn't find anything that needed changing from my point of view. Maybe Bill Gates has finally brainwashed me. Maybe PS3 will go on to sell 200 million units - but my gut instinct thinks they've given Microsoft and Nintendo way too much of a headstart.
Fri 09/03/07 at 11:15
"possibly impossible"
It’s a tough choice when a new console arrives. Do you buy it straight away or wait for loads of other people to have it first? How do you justify buying a PS3 when others tell you not to?

Maybe this list of reasons will help:

Early Adoption
A lot can be said for that feeling you get when you tell everyone you have the newest games console under your TV before loads of your friends. It’ll mean that they’ll suddenly be interested in popping around for a social call.

Although the cost of such an action is the initial sting of £425 (plus games, extra controllers etc) being snatched from your wallet, the added danger of having your house broken in to if you advertise it and the greater chance of launch machines going wrong, it could be seen as being worth it for the jealous glances you’ll get.

Using your PSP
Getting tired of Sony’s shiny handheld and its lack of games? Well, the PS3 can download PS1 games for the PSP and promises demos and even full games to download.

Of course, this could be achieved through the simple use of a downgrader and upgrading to a custom firmware (which also lets you play emulators), but if you want to be in Sony’s good books by doing it the less dubious way…

Availability
So the PS3 probably won’t disappear off shelves in the same way the Wii did. But that’s good, because you can leave your buying decision till the last minute, then just pop down the shops on launch day and buy one.

Of course, Sony would like you to thank them because it’s obviously all down to the way they marketed the machine that there are so many available, not due to lack of demand.

Gran Turismo HD
It looks almost real and probably handles like it too. GT HD looks superb and is great eye-candy for those visitors who just happened to pop round when they heard you had Sony’s newest machine.

It does, however, also mimic real life in that you have to pay real money to buy new cars and pay for roads. There is no truth to the rumour that Sony will also be charging road tax and insurance through their download service, though.

Resistance: Fall of Man
Resistance is certainly not futile, the launch game that everyone’s talking about.

Tired of complaining about the 360 being used for so many FPS games, Sony have come up with an FPS game at launch. However, it’s a very good one and probably an essential purchase alongside your new machine.

Download service
Aside from PSP downloads, Sony are trying to outdo Microsoft with full game downloads from their online service.

This includes a version of the PSP Tekken game and the previously scheduled for retail release Warhawk. While it could be said that a retail release moved to become a download game isn’t a good sign, It wouldn’t be me that said it…

However, signs are good for more releases.

Backward Compatibility
The hardware backward compatibility with PS1 and PS2 was considered too good, so Sony have decided to stay with software emulation for Europe. After all, if it worked for the 360. Not that Sony ever said a bad word about the 360 relying solely on software emulation, or anything.

Sony, however, say that ‘thousands’ of games work with it, so it should let you play Final Fantasy, shouldn’t it?

The Virtual Chatroom
Unsurprisingly, after seeing Second Life, Sony have created a neat idea where you use avatars that look like you and mii to interact with each other in a virtual 3D space online. Full of original ideas, that Sony.

This looks like it could be a great little utility for PS3 owners, as long as Sony don’t charge for it.

Bluray
You know you need it. Well, if you have an HD TV, decent sound setup and want to replace all your DVDs you do. Why not get it ‘free’ with your new console?

With all that extra space on the disc, you could be the proud owner of the whole of series 1 of Desperate Housewives on one Bluray disc.

Games Franchises
Forget about all those third parties who started out with exclusive games that are now appearing on a 360 near you, Sony have their own hot franchises to wow you. You won’t see Resistance, Gran Turismo or Warhawk on another console, to name but 3.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.